SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmpsd

Help with family room fireplace and furniture layout

dmpsd
5 years ago

We are getting ready to get new furniture for our family room. I will be asking for advice on furniture layout later, but before we get to the furniture, my husband would like to fix the fireplace, which he describes as "an eyesore."

The family room is fairly small --13'7" x 14'5". The family room is open to the kitchen, so the family room itself has three walls -- one wall has a large built-in in a niche, the second wall has a fireplace, and the third wall has lots of windows. The family room/kitchen have limestone floors that were put in about 14 years ago. I wouldn't choose them today, but don't want to spend the money to replace them.

The brick fireplace has a slightly raised hearth, which I think makes redoing the fireplace a little trickier. I don't have enough of the limestone to fill in the floor and make it all smooth, so I need to find something to replace the hearth. I would describe my style as transitional. Below is a picture of what the fireplace looks like now, a picture of the whole family room, a picture of the kitchen (since the family room opens to the kitchen), and a floor plan with measurements showing how the family room relates to the kitchen.

Any suggestions on what to do with the fireplace?

Sorry my pictures are bad. Built-in isn't really black! Also, we will be replacing the furniture, so don't pay attention to that.

Comments (4)