SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matthewjholton

Brown House Curb Appeal Help Needed!!

matthewjholton
5 years ago

We bought this home a couple months ago and have had every company you can think of come sell us their products to improve the curb appeal of our house. We don't love the yellowish brick, but don't necessarily want to drill holes into it while adding siding or paint it (because supposedly its a maintenance nightmare......). We are pretty open to anything, just don't have enough experience to know which direction to go into.

The things we do know:

- We need new shutters (design and color.. not sure)

- We The posts on our porch need to be more substantial (design and color... not sure)

- The brick needs to be at least power washed (not sure if that makes a difference) and at most painted.

- Landscaping is needed for sure. This is a winter photo in Utah so naturally it won't look great, but still needs improvement.

our hardest part is our current color and if we wanted to go away from brown it would be hard with a brown door, brown garage, brown roof, brown gutters, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (49)

• matthewjholton
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kevin, that was an incredibly thoughtful response. More than I ever thought I would get and I think you are absolutely spot on!

Our budget is about $8-10k so It may be possible to make the porch more substantial. How would you recommend doing so?

if there is brick under the shutters, would you get shutters that are smaller yo match the windows or just remove them completely?

Certapro came by and said they could paint the garage, front door, and siding for $600, which for us is great! Just need to pick the color.... the other option would be to replace the siding with something like a James Hardie product (or similar)

once my wife wakes up, we’ll visit your website for sure.

You are brilliant. Thank you for your help.

• houssaon
    5 years ago

I think the first step is to remove the shutters. Maybe paint the garage door the same color as the siding. Or paint the siding the same color as the garage door.

• Related Discussions

Help - Curb Appeal/Updates needed for Mid Century Modern House

Q

Comments (16)
    Remove the meatballs and amateur garden center retaining walls in favor of one single low horizontal retaining wall. Pick a material that relates to the exterior choices. Matching brick if you could. Cot-ten steel possibly. The wall should have a decent horizontal space between it and the street where some larger scaled pots and concrete jigsaw puzzle blocking “garden” with some heavy “sculptures” can shine. Look at the standard blockade pot planting’s meant to keep vehicles from ramming public buildings. You will need an expert to design this, and implement it. Maybe Phase 1 is Design, and Phase 2 is Implement. The smaller space between the top of the wall and building can be actual planting’s, but mostly drought resistant grasses and maybe some very low growing junipers. The building is a STAR, and needs to be more revealed than hidden by landscaping. Also think about a rooftop terrace and garden if it’s flat. Would be cool to see a hint of green in the sky peeking over like a secret paradise.
    ...See More

New brown brick colonial home needs curb appeal boost!

Q

Comments (11)
    Beautiful home. Budget and building codes permitting, consider first changing what you can for actual wood with wood finish: first your front door; then shutters; and then your garage door. Wood with natural finish (rather than paint) can go a long way toward transforming the look of a home. IF you are going to repaint what is painted ... and this is a matter of personal opinion, of course -- putting off whites with white can make the off whites seem dingy by comparison. If you don't want true white (trim and fascia and shutters porches, etc.), you could choose a truly dark brown or, at the very least, if you choose an "off white" by any name, use the same off white color for all those painted parts of your home. Exception: Black shutters could also work with a brick home with a brown roof and white elsewhere. Just a note: If you're considering changing the landscaping, that usually has the potential to make a lot of difference toward curb appeal. One issue to consider is how much maintenance are you willing to do (or have done) and how much maintenance would any changes contemplated require.
    ...See More

Need help improving curb appeal for my dark brick home

Q

Comments (8)
    I agree the brick is fine but the shutters need to go. I actually think the current siding color with the roof and brick is nice. Garage door should be the same color to pull focus away from it. You want more focus at your front door/entry area. At some point you might think about a garage door with windows across the top. That can add interest and help break up the "wall." Larger light fixtures for the garage and front door would be nice. As gardengal suggested, beef up the posts and maybe the same for the window trim once the shutters are gone. Though this is an entirely different house, it gives you an idea of how the sage green gardengal mentioned could work with brown brick (or stone, in this example).
    ...See More

Need help with ideas for painting/curb appeal ideas for our house

Q

Comments (6)
    I love the current green, and the yellow front door! The uniformity of the green allows the garage car-doors and people-door to blend in. I'd remove the fence unless it is serving a purpose (which I don't see). For safety, ensure the visibility of your house numbers from the street. Is there anything you'd like to add out front, such as a sitting space, a cover or a bench near either door? (I don't see the need for anything, it's just what functionality you would like.) For landscaping suggestions, re-post your picture, include your planting zone, the direction your house faces (East?), and a nearby major city so that people can make practical recommendations, and hope that a professional gives you a pretty picture to go by :-) Nice house!
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    5 years ago

I would extend the porch out to where it would cover all the steps. You would want to do a hip roof to match the existing roof line.

If you're looking to replace the siding then that opens more options for you. If you do replace and use a horizontal siding I would use a larger board (makes the area look less busy). I would probably just remove the shutters and leave them off. Leaving them off visually simplifies the lines of the house.

If you replace the siding a rough sawn cedar with cedar posts on the porch could be an option. Changing the outdoor lighting style to maybe something more craftsman is another possibility.

Looks like there are plenty of avenues to explore to make the house reflect your personalities.

P.S. Don't paint the brick. You take a no maintenance product and turn it into a long term maintenance issue.

• matthewjholton
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Houssaon, a rendering?!?!? That’s awesome!!! Just that looks way better!! Love it, thank you!

Has as anyone has experience with power washing brick and does it even work to give it s true clean? My hope is that it would help brighten up the brick by removing grime from the 70’s, but unsure.

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    5 years ago
    Having the brick power washed first thing is a good step and it will make a difference. I did it on my own brick house when I first moved in. It will make it look like new. I think your front door light fixture is almost invisible in the picture. Hard to tell but maybe you should get a bigger one similar to the garage lights and put some nice visible house numbers under it. I think your main issue is Landscaping. if it were me I would embrace the brown and find ways to get some complementary colors out front. I would talk to a landscape designer. some new shrubs with some areas of flowering shrubs and perennials. Possibly get a new front door in a warm wood color instead of painted brown.
  • matthewjholton
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kevin, when you say bring the porch out are you referring to adding a gable? That could be quite interesting!

• cat_ky
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I rather like those longer shutters that you have, and think the color is fine too. You could make the porch more attractive. I know its winter, and no ones landscaping looks all that great, but, your yard looks like it could use a design for landscaping, from a landscape company, even, if you dont do it all at once, just a little of it each year. Some pops of color by the front door would look nice too. You have an attractive house. If you power wash, dont put the washer on full pressure, you could damage your brick. Use a lower pressure.

• matthewjholton
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Car_ky we like them as well, but from other suggestions we are thinking of framing the entire windows with some wood work in place of the siding and shutters. Could give the same effect but look a little more sleek.

I thinj our biggest issue is the color, which is probably pretty common given the crazy amount of options.

• partim
    5 years ago

I would not power wash the brick. It will make very little difference to the color and may well damage it. The only place that I see that it is a bit dirty from soil splashing up is the first few rows at the bottom, which is an area that should be covered by evergreen shrubs anyway. Cover the soil with a tarp, and gIve those bottom rows a blast from a garden hose and call it a day.

Personally I like your brick color. In the day, it was called "blonde" and was an upgrade from red bricks. Search Google for "blonde brick color schemes" and you'll see what people have done. Brown looks good with blonde brick, and your roof is the perfect color. Just because, at the moment. brown schemes are somewhat "out" and gray schemes are "in" doesn't make your house unattractive.

Here are a few that I found. The first one uses brown, but a more contemporary gray-brown, vs the chocolate brown that you have. I like it and the color would look good with your roof too.

I actually think the trim color on the second one doesn't look good with their roof, but might look good with yours.

I agree that, according to the "rules" of shutters (they should look as it they could actually close) that your shutters should go. But that would leave you with a very long look to your windows. Not sure that I'd remove them in your case.

Landscaping will make a really big difference. At the very minimum, evergreen shrubs all along the house, to cover the first few rows of brick.

matthewjholton thanked partim
  • matthewjholton
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Partim, I’m acting as if you said I have a good looking face after you told me that my BricK is good looking haha. Thank you so much for your sound Advice!

• PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    5 years ago

Matthew, yes I was talking about adding a roof over the steps. You would probably want to keep it a hip roof instead of a gable to match the rest of the roof.

matthewjholton thanked Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Before I look at the rest of the house, I have to say you absolutely MUST paint the downspout the color of the brick.

• Janette Price
    5 years ago

Wow groveraxle - love the rendition! What a difference!!

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    5 years ago
    I agree wow that's beautiful.
  • Sylvia Gordon
    5 years ago

If you decide on more substantial posts, you can simply build around the existing posts.

• matthewjholton
    Original Author
    5 years ago

See photos below. I used the design that Groveraxle submitted (thank you). Unfortunately I coulydn’t find anyone in Utah that could install that exact color. The only thing I could get is “walnut”. I overlayed The exact color to Groveraxle’s design. I also added a photo with the windows on the left side, that I will do.

do you all like the gray tone as is or should we lighten it up since the garage is lighter? Also thinking of matching the front door to be “walnut” as well.

Since this deisgn goes in a more more modern direction, I’ve added a photo of the lights we plan to buy to change the mood of the house.

you all are incredibly helpful! Changes are happening with your direction. Thank you!

• houssaon
    5 years ago

I like the dark color around the windows even if you can't get a light color garage. The wood stain of the front door and the garage door should be the same. It is going to look so good!

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Here's a mahogany door from Home Depot in an appropriate style. Don't know if it will be an appropriate color. Their products are also impossible to search since they have thousands of them all poorly categorized. This door is by Pacific Entries. Steve and Sons also seemed to have some appropriate doors. I included appropriate hardware and also found a couple of sconces that seem to be a better fit. I threw them on your front lawn.

• matthewjholton
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My friends! The house is coming along. Wanted to give you an update with some exciting changes and have a door selection I’d love your help with!!

Update:

we have decided to remove the vinyl siding and replace with Shou Sugu Ban siding which will give it that dark color as in the mock up but be wood. Will be cool! Also, the garage door (as in the picture) will be installed tomorrow And new light fixtures this Saturday.

As for the door.... the dilemma is to have either a 3 or 4 cut out. the Design will be the three cut out option in the picture I’ve attached. I’ve also attached a 4 cut out picture (ignore the design, it will be the design of the three cut out picture, this is just giving you some reference). Should I do a 3 or 4 cut out? I’ve also attached a picture of the garage. Should it match the 4 cut out that the garage has or is 3 ok? I personally like 3 more, but dont trust my opinion on this stuff.

Should the stain be the exact same as the garage or does it not matter?

These are very Pricey changes and will be there for the long haul, so your opinions matter greatly!

• matthewjholton
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Forgot to attach the garage picture so here it is. Also, I attached the Japanese burnt wood look to give you an idea.

Special shoutout to Groveraxle for all the help. Biggest impact no question. Your ideas are coming to fruition!

• houssaon
    5 years ago

The stain of the door and the garage door should be the same. The scale of the windows should be the same.

I'm not sure what garage door you picked. Do you have a picture of it?

Have you searched for in the exterior photos on Houzz to see what doors are used with it?

• matthewjholton
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you my friend. Great Questions. I should have clarified. The below picture is my New garage (Picture from online, but same door).

The front door will not have any windows (On the door or around). It will simply be the Wood deisgn. Does that make sense?

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

If the garage and front door are the same colors, three- or -four-panel are both fine. You couldn't find one with windows? That would have been perfect. Here's the three-panel door you posted above.

• matthewjholton
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Groveraxle thank you! We are having our door made and can have windows, but we decided against it because that front room we hang out in a lot and hate when people walk up and can just see you. Am I crazy?

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

No, you're not crazy. And I think that door looks good. Go for it.

• awm03
    5 years ago

How about ribbed glass in the door? It's hard to see through in any meaningful way.

Ignore the door, but note the glass:

You could probably run it horizontally, if that looks better.

• houssaon
    5 years ago

Your door and garage doors look awesome! Post pictures when done.

• matthewjholton
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

TWO ITEMS LEFT THAT I NEED HELP WITH!

two and a half months since my last post/update and...... great progress and a three week old baby boy!

I have listened to you all and revamped my landscaping completely, removed the shutters, installed the new front door (picture attached), installed new lights, installed new garage door.

Two items left to decide/execute:

1. Which shade of burnt wood do I install in place of my vinyl siding (pictures attached).

- The reason for doing the burnt wood is it will get rid of my vinyl (big win) and it is naturally preserved (due to burning the wood - though the lighter shade one has less protection since some of the char has been brushed off) from weather damage.

- this wood will also go around my new front door and around the garage door, replacing old materials. This wood will also replace the two old porch posts.

2. What color do I paint my brick/windows?

- I was originally not going to paint the brick, but after we removed the shutters there was so many marks of paint and big coloration difference from sun/weather. Every form of cleaning did not fix this problem.

- window wise, since we are doing the burnt wood below the windows, I am thinking of painting them the exact same color as the wood so it'll match all he way through. sound thinking?

on the home stretch! Thank you all for help! I think once the vinyl is gone, windows and brick are painted, we will be all set and done!

For kicks, I'm going to add the before and after of the desk we just did in the back!

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Wow, I just learned something. Never heard of burnt wood siding. Eco-friendly and long lasting. Also, big congrats on the new baby boy!

I'd go with the darker siding, and I'd install it first before deciding on what color to paint the brick. I would not paint it all the same color, though, because you will lose all the modern architectural detail of the house.

Nice work on the deck. It looks terrific.

• matthewjholton
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Groveraxle, it’s called Shou Sugi Ban, a Japanese wood treatment they have Used for a long time before Home Depot’s began popping up ;). I think the look is great as well.

call me crazy.... what if I painted the brick the same color as it is now.... I actually like the color just need it to look cleaner..... we shall see.... white is the thing now, but I don’t think it would Look good on my house, but what do I kNow. I just follow your lead.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Matthew, painting the brick the same color as now sounds like a winner. Be sure to do your research, though. I am generally opposed to painting a no-maintenance material like brick, but you can stain it, or look into a product called Romabio that's made especially for brick.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

Love the updates! And that you shared them! So exciting to see great suggestions come to fruition.

• matthewjholton
    Original Author
    4 years ago

the only choice left is which pint color do we paint our house with?

You will see in the picture a black wood sample. That wood is going to replace the vinyls siding that you see on the house.

On the left side of the wood sample is one color (Greek villa) and on the right of the sample is another color (ivory lace). Both sherwin williams

Things to consider

- my roof is brown, but does have some black in it.

- the gutters, facia, soffit, and windows will be painted black.

- non brick areas will have a black burnt (shou sugi bon) wood siding.

- the front door is A natural walnut door.

- the garage is a fo walnut door with black windows.

- our light fixtures are a little more modern, but those can be changed.

Painters come tomorrow so I appreciate your help!!! So so much!

Now for Pictures:

- I’m adding the wood sample and colors examples as I mentioned.

- I’m adding a full house example of Greek villa that has black accents.

- I’m adding full house example of ivory lace that does not have black accents, but you can use your imagination.

- photos of my house with two different lightings.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

I think both those colors are way too white. If I had to choose one, I'd choose the one on the right, but I think you should go more toward the current color.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Try a couple chips down on the color strip: shoji white.

matthewjholton thanked groveraxle
  • grdnbeth
    4 years ago

All your changes look great! Congrats on the baby! Do not forget to wrap the porch posts with the black wood- also, I think you need a columnar shrub planted in between the far left windows. Like a sky-needle yaupon holly (or similar)

matthewjholton thanked grdnbeth
  • matthewjholton
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Groveraxle I’m going to go get that sample right now!!

• matthewjholton
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Groveraxle,

you think that would look good with all the black I’m adding?

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Matthew, monitors are notorious for distorting color, so you will have to be the final judge. However, a super white white (which your two samples appear to be) with black can look really harsh. In fact, your current brick color looks close to perfect.

• matthewjholton
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Groveraxle,

i just called in samples for the one you suggested, creamy, and aged white. I’ll send photos. Creamy looks like it might match my brick color. We shall see!

• matthewjholton
    Original Author
    4 years ago

top to bottom or left to right

- aged white

- soji White

- creamy

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

I agree, the white needs to be closer to the current brick color. The top color in the last picture is closer.

matthewjholton thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

Aged white is best of the three. I think they're still a bit too white.

matthewjholton thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

Maybe something more like Kestrel white.

SW 7516 Kestrel White · More Info

• Debbie Downer
    4 years ago

Have you talked to professional masonry person re: fixing the discrepancy in color of brick? Its the combination of the natural raw brick texture with that wonderful burnt wood that looks so fantastic - the two materials belong together.

Brick painted with acrylic even if a similar color, is not going to have that same synergistic effect with the wood. Painted brick will look flat and and dull since it wont have the slight color variations of real brick. The texture will be that of brick encased in plastic instead of rough natural texture of brick.

And btw, latex or acrylic paint - any paint that forms a film on the surface and doesn't allow water vapor to freely pass through is a mistake cos moisture gets trapped behind the film and long term damages the brick.

If you have to paint then choose mineral paint. Since its made with real mineral pigments instead of chemical colorants Ive been told the color has more richness and depth and you can get it in different "weights" - some are thinner so that more of the texture or roughness would show through.

Romabio and Limeworks USA both have fantastic customer service - can do custom color if you send them a brick or a good picture.

• matthewjholton
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Groveraxle, I’ll go pick that sample up tomorrow. Thank you!

• matthewjholton
    Original Author
    4 years ago

“Current resident” thank you for the advice. I too agree that leaving the brick would be best! Feedback I have received is that’s because some brick has been exposed to weather and the sun for 45 years and some brick has been fully covered, there is no way to blend/match the two.

I need to look into mineral paint. I have called multiple companies to paint and none of them offer mineral paint service, which I find odd.

really what I would like to do is rebrick my house in 8 ish years, allowing us to have the true beauty of brick without the imperfections we have now. Paint (or alternatives) is to help freshen it up during these next 8 years.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

You just need to use paint for masonry/brick. Those SW color samples should just wash off since they don’t contain any binding agent. Or you may be able to paint over them.