SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

What size rug would you recommend, given these constraints?

Ian Christensen
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Here's my living room. It's an odd shape (that happens to let the piano work okay in its position.)

I inherited the muddied version of BM Palladian Blue from the previous owners. I'm a single man, and it's a little too preciously sherbet for my liking. I'm trying to get a rug in here to start working around--primarily in order to be set to choose the new paint color(s). The rug under the piano I just recycled from an apartment I had before I bought my home; it's just there to help absorb sound, I'm ready to part with it. (it's just bigger than 5X8, if anyone's interested.)

I'm really fond of this medallion rug. I really think that the room shape needs an anchor point in front of the fireplace. I've seen that medallion rugs do this beautifully. Right now the rooms is sort of chaotic and uncentered, I think, because it's not clear where the center is in this L-shaped room. (If I could be spared criticism of the quality of the rug, I'd appreciate sticking on topic; I live alone and will walk on it once or twice a day, and with tens of thousands of dollars needed in bringing an 81-year-old house into the 21st century, a rug costing thousands is not in the budget.)

That rug that I like comes in many sizes. I'm looking at an 8X10, 6'7"X9'4" or a 5X7'9. I've marked out in the photos the three sizes. The tape measures are the middle size.

I would theoretically, of course, love to go with the big size. The second-to-last photo shows the problem: both the middle and largest size interfere with the pedals and bench of the piano.

Question #1) Do you think the smallest size is just going to look cheap and that I should figure out a way to make one of the larger sizes work? (You'll notice that the larger two also cover up quite a bit of hearth. Also, I can't go back any further than the 8X10 because under the church pew is a return air vent, and I already have the other one (under the bookcase) somewhat obstructed.)

Question #2) You see the odd shape of the living room. After settling on the rug in front of the fireplace, do you think It's going to be odd to have no rug in front of that area in front of the sofa? I think it would be too close to have two rectangular rugs, facing the same direction next to each other but also staggered, if you get what I mean. Any thoughts would be welcome.

You're great, Houzz Readers, and if you could stick to the topic and not focus on painting my mantel or painting my brick, I'd really appreciate it. You could consider it a design constraint challenge, if that would help! Thanks, in advance, for any thoughts.

Sorry the pics are dark. Probably should have used flash. I think you get the idea that I need to get a higher LRV paint in this room stat!

Comments (35)