SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

Hummingbird Spring Migration 2019

claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

It's time to start thinking about hummingbirds in your garden! Granted they probably won't actually be here in New England until the middle of April or beginning of May, but why quibble?

For years I've been posting screenshots of the migration map that's posted on hummingbirds.net but that map has now been discontinued. The producer of the map has given the following explanation:

"Google has stopped offering free, anonymous use of its map API, which partially automated the location of sightings by zip/postal code using a utility a smart fellow wrote for me (and which I do not understand). I am not interested in fundraising, learning API programming, or opening a Google developer account. As a result, producing this map is no longer practical, and I'm not looking for alternatives. Thanks to all of you for your participation and support over 23 migration seasons, and my apologies for any inconvenience.

If you want to know when migrants will reach your location, the historical maps are still available for reference. I encourage you to follow the migration and report your sightings at the Journey North website."

This was a wonderful endeavor and I'm so sorry it can't continue for reasons outside of her control.

I'll be posting screenshots of the Journey North Ruby-throated Hummingbird Migration Map.

Screenshot March 2, 2019

They're starting to leave their wintering territories in Central America now and are setting foot on the continental U.S. with Florida and the Gulf Coast as the usual first stop, although there's been a sighting on the coast of South Carolina.

I'll be posting screenshots of this map periodically to record the progress of the migration and to warn when it's time to get the feeders out of the cellar and into the yard (not yet).

Claire

Comments (82)