SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
18florence

Where did I go wrong?! Decor for a formal living room w/ pics

18florence
5 years ago

I am so unhappy with how our space has come together, and I don't know where to start in doing what needs to be done to fix it.

To start with: I hate the color we selected for the walls (chose it at the suggestion of the professional painter). It is BM Greenmount Silk. Not a bad color in and of itself, but I do not like it in this space at all. I do not like the gold/blue effect.

Will change that, for sure, but feel like a few other adjustments have to be made, first. For example, I think I made a mistake in pairing my new couches with the new rug. The slate blue of the velvet couches is not quite right with the more denim blue of the rug. The couches were much pricier than the rug, so will have to keep them. In looking for a new rug (on-line, primarily), I’m totally overwhelmed by the variety of options! Is there a principle by which one should select a rug for a space such as a formal living room? Do I go with something subtle and subdued? Or should I get something that has some rich color or features an interesting pattern? Should the rug be darker or lighter than the couch? Am I trying to match the rug to some other element in the room?

I also think I made a mistake in insisting that whatever we select have to “go with” the custom drapes that are already in the room. I didn’t want to get rid of them, since they were done as a custom order (years ago) and would be very expensive to replace, but now I’m wishing I hadn’t been so rigid.

Also, I don’t like how the coffee and side tables that I bought as a set from wayfair look like I bought them as a set from wayfair, lol. Way too match-y

Is there an “order” in which a room should be decorated? Where should I start with a do-over? Keeping in mind that I have to keep the couches…I’m just so disappointed that after having put so much time and $ into this room (professional painting, plaster repair, furniture, rug, etc.), I’m so unhappy with it. First world problems, I know! ;) TIA for any advice anyone might offer!

Comments (25)