SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_b49

ECHEVERIA ID help

Melissa B
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I bought this at my local groccery store. I don't know what type of

echevria it is. The flower stalk is looking like it is wilting. I need help Identifing this plant so I can make sure I give it the best care possible.

Comments (14)

• socks
    5 years ago

Not sure which echeveria.

To care for it, it should be planted in a fast draining potting mix. Most often recommended here is a 50-50 blend of commercial cactus and succulent mix combined with perlite, both from your nursery. Other mixes hold too much water.

That pot looks a little large, and your plant is potted too low. A clay pot with a hole in the bottom works best, but plastic is OK too.

Sometimes those flowers dip down like that so don’t worry about that.

Your plant needs a lot of light, can take a little direct sun. Water only when dry. Put a skewer in the soil A few minutes, then pull it out and see if it’s damp. If not you could water.

Read other threads here to learn about succulent care.

PS. Your plant looks like it’s been handled a lot. Try not to touch the leaves.

• Melissa B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for all the information and help. I will definitely follow all your suggestions. Thanks so much.

• Melissa B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Okay I will try not to disturb the leaves. Thanks for your help

• Melissa B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just wanted to tell everyone my plant is finally flowering. The flowers are yellow. Thanks for all the help.

• Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
    5 years ago

Is that lava rock as your top dressing??? I have that and it looks real nice. You may get a proper ID in the summer months, once it's been outside for a bit.

Melissa B thanked Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

It could be Echeveria pulidonis - that one has yellow flowers:

Looks like there is second inflorescence on opposite side?

The pot seems to be quite large - make sure substrate drains fast. Evenually, I would add some more mix so plant is not so deep inside of pot. I hope you don't mind my suggestions :)

Melissa B thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • hablu
    5 years ago

Probably a hybrid with pulidonis in it.

imo: that pot is to big.

Harry

• Melissa B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

What are pulidonis

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Echeveria pulidonis is a species of Echeveria. Plants can be crossed - using 2 differet plants (species or varieties/cultivars); and could result in a new cultivar-hybrid-variety. Proper botanical name of that new plant includes both parents and a 'given' name. These new plants have distinguishing characteristics. That could be color of leaves, thickness of leaves, number of flowers on flowering stem, and many more. Example: crossing Echeveria pulidonis cultivar as a female parent and Echeveria elegans cultivar as a male parent resulted in a new plant, with given/cultivar name 'Apus'. Proper botanical name is Echeveria pulidonis x Echeveria elegans 'Apus'. Plants are often sold with the cultivar name only, so you may find it sold as Echeveria 'Apus'. Often, they are sold only with the name of species, for example Echeveria. It takes few years to produce new plant, sometimes many years...

• Melissa B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I appreciate all the help. I tried to respond sooner but the keyboard kept deleting while I tried to reply. I reported it in a smaller pot and it is in organic cactus soil mixed with fast draining succulent soil now. Thanks so much.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Melissa

What organic cactus soil? That + succulent soil may be too water retaining - but I do not know what is in 'organic cactus soil'. There should be list of ingredients on the bag, can you check it? That pot may be still too large even if diameter is smaller but it is quite deep. So total volume of the soil is probably same as your first pot. And it is worse if it is deeper, as more soil that way would take longer to dry up. It would have been better to leave it in the same pot if you didn't have other choice with pots. Pls. note that I am only guessing here from what is visible in photos, as I do not know measurements of your containers, and could be wrong. If your soil is as organic as it sounds from your description, not much would change. Socks suggested ..."50-50 blend of commercial cactus and succulent mix combined with perlite"... (that is C&S soil mixed with perlite in 1:1 ratio) which would be faster draining than what you described.

You could keep same pot (yellow) if the mix drains well. If it is echeveria I mentioned, it could grow quite large. Mine is just over 8" in diameter, and it is in a 5.5' diameter pot that is 5" deep, and the mix is made of chicken grit, perlite and only about 10% of turface - no soil at all.

Drainage is important, so you need to be watchfull how you water...

• Melissa B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I use espoma organic cactus mix for cactus, succulents, palm, and citrus. The yellow pot is 5" diameter by 5" tall. The succulent soil I mixed into the cactus soil is very coarse and rocky and fast draining. Here is a picture of the cactus soil bag.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

I do not have any experience with this soil, some may. It doesn't list ingredients by volume/%, but it seems to me there is lots of peat and some sand and worm castings (I am not criticizing it). Succulent soil you mentioned, is rocky and coarse - not telling me much in way of ingredients. Again, just my comments - you say it drains fast. In general, succulents do not need 'rich' soil. They grow naturally in rocky and lean substrates, that we try to simulate in containers. Manure is usually avoided when growing plants in pots.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21