Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta Mini 2018 ..

I have the ability to turn any hosta into a mini. Show us yours:

Comments (62)

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

great minis everyone!!..love them all..my "recovered" hosta pics are fuzzy so here's a funny dog pic..

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    5 years ago

OMG nicholsworth that is priceless! Crumble is certainly dancing (swinging) to the beat of his own drum! Thanks for the chuckle.

• Related Discussions

will trade mini/small hosta to mini/small hosta

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Marchela, I know you said the post is closed, but I just thought I'd check, I would love to trade for silver threads and golden needles. I have quite a few minis that I could possibly get an eye or two from, I have an eye of cameo if you didn't get that already. Thanks, Catrina
    ...See More

Mini Hosta? Small Hosta? PLease help name

Q

Comments (3)
    I have similar looking plants in my garden but I have no idea of the name. I think they're pretty common though, I'm sure any good garden center has them. But isn't it possible that they are staying small because they're in a pot?
    ...See More

Hosta F 2018 .....

Q

Comments (50)
    Fantastic F's need to get a quiet moment and review all the beautiful pictures. Here are my F's Fire and Ice, temperamental but pretty. Fire Island First Frost still young hopefully this year it will leap First Mate, 1st year had competition with arborvitae roots, so later in the season replanted it in a spin out bag. Hopefully 2019 will be a better year for it. Forbidden Fruit, also new in 2018 Fragrant Blue Fragrant Bouquet Frances Williams Fried Green Tomatoes, also new in 2018
    ...See More

Hosta M 2018 .....

Q

Comments (34)
    For me, Maui Buttercups stands out. Beth, yours is small, and cute at that stage. It has the rounded leaves and even a bit of corrugation! Yours, sunnywood, looks quite large. Lovely. Sandyslopes nice photography on your Maui Buttercups! Great Maui Buttercups mbug! Montana Aureomarginata---well I'm afraid to buy that one. It's just too early a riser in spring! I can see why you love Mieke, Saija! I am not sure it's readily available here in Canada unfortunately. I love big leaved hostas so tiddisolo's and sunnywood's Magic Fire along with Mountain Snow really attract my eye! So does ConnieMay's Miss Tokoyo (especially with water drops)! And old_dirt's Majesty. I had that one, but lost it. Peren.all, Miss Linda Smith, is so pretty! You captured it beautifully! Karin, you captured Medusa in its fall colors---so pretty! Love your collection of hostas! Mountainyman, your montana f macrophylla is huge!
    ...See More
  • newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    5 years ago

So cute Nicholsworth! Crumble is special!

5 years ago

you probably realized it but Crumble's not mine..saw this on pinterest..wouldn't you love to see him swinging?..it would also be hilarious to see the owner put him in the swing..

5 years ago

nicholsworth I did realize Crumble was an internet sensation!

Sherry I am always drawn to Surfer Girl and would grab it if I saw it..... and every other one posted that I do not have!

5 years ago

Yes, I would like to see Crumble's owner putting him in the swing!

I am most impressed with all these minis! Peren.all many of yours are mature! I am most envious of that!

Glad to say I got Surfer Girl last year. Looking forward to seeing it this spring. Yours is so cute Sherry!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

Just so you all know, I bought Surfer Girl as the size you see in the photo two seasons ago.......but.........I have FOUR that size now from its divisions! It’s going to take over the world like Laurie’s Lemon Lime!

Sherry

5 years ago

that's awesome Sherry!..there is no such thing as too many Surfer Girls..

my new garden decoration..only 5-6 inches tall but very heavy..eyes don't quite match..was looking for turtles and small birds and found this..would it look nice with Blue Mouse Ears?..too early to try it out..

5 years ago

newhostalady some I have had quite a while and others have been really quick to establish. Holy Mouse Ears is the sloth of the bunch and it was planted at the same time as Blue Mouse Ears - hardly a fair comparison since BME is pretty quick to establish. Ruffled Mouse Ears & Curly Fries have wowed me with their growth since they were planted years after.

Sherry hahaha! Wouldn't Lemon Lime and Surfer Girl look smashing side by side? They could duke it out for world domination in the best and most beautiful way!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

Love the owl! He/she would look good anywhere!

Sherry

5 years ago

Great garden decoration nicholsworth! Looking forward to seeing photos of it in your garden!

It is really interesting to hear your experience with the minis peren.all. With all the variables in hosta, it is not easy to pick out the best ones. Good growth rate is always a plus! It will be interesting to see how my Church Mouse does compared to your Ruffled Mouse Ears. They do have a similar look.

Surfer girl is a fantastic grower Sherry! I hope I see that kind of growth in mine!

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    5 years ago

I LOVE owls!

Surfer Girl is on my list. In fact, on my spreadsheet (yes I have a spreadsheet), I have a note that if the venusta I planted along the pathway doesn’t work out I should consider Surfer Girl as a replacement.

5 years ago

I love owls too!..if you have a TJMaxx that's where I bought it..

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    5 years ago

Peren.all, that Lemon Lime looks like an invasive species! Sheesh that's nuts. I can only imagine such things! I do love the minis.

Here's my Lemon Lime in 2018.

Clockwise from Blue Mouse Ears, Small Parts, Little Wonder, some mystery mouse that was sold with BME, Twist of Lime.

Mighty Mouse

Cheatin' Heart

Cherish when I tried to save it! (may you R.I.P.)

I also got Venusta and Bill's Dress Blue in 2018 but only have photos of them in their nursery pots. Can't wait to see if they make it through this crazy winter!

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    5 years ago

Yes, we have a TJ Maxx

I saw them previously on a trip, but didn't pull the trigger and when I checked my local, they had none...until later. I have a feeling this guy will fly around the garden a bit before finding a home.

5 years ago

steve..Lol!!..yours is prettier..yours has better details..the person carving mine was a bit lazier..you're right about "will fly around the garden"..wouldn't it look cute just about everywhere?..

• mbug_gw
    5 years ago

Really good looking minis everyone!!,,,,want them all!!!!

Church Mouse on right + Praying Hands + Moonstruck on left + a tiny Pure Heart I'm trying to revive in back

Curly Fries

Blonde Elf

Blue Mouse Ears

Munchkin Fire

Mini Skirt

Little Treasure

Little Red Joy

Pandora's Box

Sun Mouse

Alakazaam

Lakeside Neat Petite

Wiggles and Squiggles

Tongue Twister

• old_dirt 6a
    5 years ago

sherrygirl I also have SG and it multiplies so fast I just pull divisions from around the edges and compost them.

Surfer Girl

Sunlight Child

Holy Mouse Ears, very slow.

Cherish

Blue Mouse Ears

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    5 years ago

Oh I want them all! They are just too cute!

5 years ago

I want to go Nicholsworth's and Steve's house to visit my friends, he said.

And here is a pictures of my relatives:

Went to the States for a day a week ago. Found my new owl at the TJ Maxx store in Buffalo! (I thought yours, Nicholsworth and Steve, were so cute!)

5 years ago

newhostalady..Lol!!!..I can't believe how many that you could pick from..it would've taken me forever to pick one..there was just one when I found mine and I grabbed it..I think they're adorable and should be durable..we're going to have fun sharing pics of them living outside..I saw a crocus in bloom today..my hands were filthy so I said "I'll get a pic later"..but I didn't..still have my lazy pic habits today..but I'm going to change..

P.S. your owl is prettier than mine too!..mine has a "dent" on the top of it's head..oh well I still love it..

5 years ago

There were quite a few there. I narrowed it down to three possibilities. I considered buying the smallest one too, but then decided against. It could have been a mother/ baby thing! Durable, I think so. Last year I bought a cement bird which I adored. By the fall it began to crumble! What could go wrong with a rock?

Ahhh, a crocus in bloom? Spring is on its way!

5 years ago

I would've liked to have a choice between several owls but we don't always get what we want Lol..we had a beautiful day today!..mild temperatures..sunny..I was out for 5 hours..would you believe the forecast for Sat is snow?..the blooming crocus is in an awkward sheltered spot and not that close to my others..my others are coming but won't be blooming soon..the blooming one was NOT planted by me..either moved by a squirrel?..or is it a volunteer?..

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    5 years ago

On my concrete garden decor I’ve used a spray-on sealant (came from the hardware or Walmart)... seems to help maintain them. And I set them under shelter in winter.

Ummm, I may have to run over to TJ Maxx and take a look. Super cute.

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    5 years ago

Nice choice NHL, although the one on the right with the crooked head is appealing to me . . . Like minds? I may have to search for another TJ Maxx near here.

5 years ago

I agree the owls are adorable nicholsworth. You saw a crocus the other day? Spring is on its way! And the hostas will be growing soon! Can't wait!

Good idea about the spray-on sealant windymess. I didn't know there was such a thing! Join in the fun and visit TJ Maxx and bring home an owl!

Steve, I had a tough time choosing between all the owls. Probably some at the front of the picture were the ones I was deciding on. I picked the fattest and heaviest one. Well, I guess now that I look at them in the picture, the crooked headed owl is interesting in its own way! The one with the big eyes? Interesting how one can see things differently in a picture compared to seeing them in person.

5 years ago

I'm officially nuts..in line at a different TJMaxx..

they had 4..buying these 2..these are $6.99 each..paid 12.99 for my first one..so decision time..keep 3?..2?..1?..this is funny..as I was deciding a woman said "those are cute..are you getting all of them?..I said "not sure but if you want that one (one I didn't want) you can have it"..she said "thanks" and put it in her cart"..must be nice to be decisive..I'll never know what that feels like Lol..

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

You guys are a bad influence ; ) I just got home from T J Maxx and Homegoods, Saw the owls here too, but went in a different direction when I saw BLUE! These two guys are pretty big. They are in the house now, need better lighting for a good photo.

Sherry

5 years ago

Sherry..I love the bird and the snail!..I saw a variety of sculptures but not either of your pretty blue ones..I guess I need to visit another TJMaxx..

update..I hit another TJMaxx..(the closest one where I bought the first owl)..I returned 2 owls..I kept one of the cheaper new ones..I liked it's flaws the best haha..I looked for Sherry's blue bird and snail..didn't find any :-(

#1 a crocus in bloom #2 most are just coming up..
    #3 a hellebore bloom #4 daffodils..so nice to see signs of spring..

• pandora
    5 years ago

Great photos everyone. Some real beauties. Thx for showing.

@Ilovetogrow. Funny cartoons. That sink is a real shocker.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

Nicholsworth, do you have a Homegoods near you? That’s where I got the bird. The snail was from TJ Maxx.

Nice to see those plants poking up!

Sherry

5 years ago

Sherry..yes we have several Homegoods..thanks..I agree that to see plants coming up is great..

5 years ago

Nicholsworth, I am so very much like you . . . indecisive! When I saw all the owls at TJ Maxx, I picked what I liked and put them in front of the others. Then checked again to be sure I had the best one! Not easy! I would have been a little startled if someone actually went up to the owls, and quickly picked one to purchase! Shocking! Those are the times I feel like I must be a little crazy to be so fussy!

Nice blue bird and snail Sherry! Great find!

I had another opportunity to go to the States after that purchase with the owl. I desperately wanted to go to another TJ Maxx, but there weren't any around. I was disappointed!

Picked up a lighted ball that can be used in the garden (from Walmart). It's not that big, but I love those colors!

5 years ago

newhostalady..I wish I didn't notice imperfections but I do!..oh well..I've accepted that it's part of my personality :-( I like the colors on your decorative ball too..lots of green with just enough of the other colors..will be pretty in the garden..

• frankielynnsie
    5 years ago

I have a question about the minis and how close together they are. Do they choke each other to death if you don't divide them? Some of mine are growing on top of the ground because they are multiplying so close together they have pushed above the soil and I was thinking of digging and dividing.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    5 years ago

frankielynnsie- I can‘t answer your initial question, but I will say that my Mouse Ears hostas (I only have two) just naturally heave themselves up to the surface whether they’re potted or in the ground. And some of my other, not-so-small hostas do the same. Apparently they like it that way, because any attempt on my part to “correct“ them is undone by the next season.

5 years ago

just like windymess a couple of years ago 2 of my Blue Mouse Ears outside heaved..they were completely out of the ground..they fell apart..I replanted them separately..they were fine last year..haven't checked to see if they heaved this year..

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    5 years ago

Actually, just to be clear - my BMEs did it in the pot every year for several years, and now that I have it in the ground it continues to do the same... it isn't falling apart, and it still has plenty of roots in the ground, but the crown of the plant is all up on top (looks kinda ugly until the leaves come on). It doesn't seem like winter heave, per se, which I have seen with a couple of hostas before. It just seems to like growing this way. And last year I bought a Smiling Mouse... it's still in a pot... and looks just as ugly right now, with the crown all up on top - and I can see the roots heading down into the media.

I walked around the other day and Love Pat is also like that... and it's been in that garden location for a few years. There are a couple others....

I'm going to do the mulching this weekend... that will at least make everything look better!

5 years ago

I was alarmed when I saw my Blue Mouse Ears barely attached to the soil with the crown and roots exposed..that was a new experience for me..but they survived :-) ..today I noticed a Little Wonder in the same condition..there could be more but I didn't look everywhere..I see some replanting ahead..I don't want to leave them exposed..

• frankielynnsie
    5 years ago

This makes me feel better. I thought I was doing something wrong. Their little skeleton roots fanning out from their tightly packed leaves. I divided a few of them today but from what you are saying they will be back in this shape in a couple of years. So very year I will have weeds and replanting hosta to look forward to. My retirement to do list.

5 years ago

I stepped out to take a pic of my heaved Little Wonder..then I remembered I planted some pieces of Blue Mouse Ears there..it's the BME that's coming out..

there's 2..hard to photograph but in person it looks like you could pull them out..
    Little Wonder pips..some roots are showing but the crown isn't sitting on the surface like the BME..

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

Nicholsworth-so exciting to see all that growth! It’s gonna be a great spring!

5 years ago

oursteelers..my ground is too wet to explore everywhere but things are happening!! :-)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

You guys are all way ahead of things here, I see no pips yet. My daylilies and daffodils have sent up foliage, some early budding on the daffodils. Crocus are blooming, that’s it, I’m getting impatient ; )

Sherry

5 years ago

Sherry..remember it goes from a standstill to BAM! plants are on the way..windymess and Karin are ahead of me..it might be your turn next..

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    5 years ago

Hi Yall!, Just sitting here watching the snow melt. Yah...........another month of watching. Very jealous of those pips of yours Nicholsworth. All in due time I guess.

For those who have started gardening, remember stretch before exercising. Stay hydrated! LOL

Going to out snowshoeing later on.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

Sherry at least you have daylilie. It always surprises me how early they put out foliage. And this time of year I’m just thankful to see all my plant babies return! They’re like the birds that go south for the winter and it’s so exciting to see them come back:)

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    5 years ago

It's mostly my potted hostas that are really coming along! Although I looked out the kitchen window this morning and montana Aureomarginata (out in the garden) is clearly visible even from a distance. So, even though it's been there two years it's still not a very large plant, and I think if we get a surprise freeze I'll be able to invert a pot over it for protection.

I do have daylilies up several inches, and daisies, and the peonies and clematis are coming right along.

Shadow - "stretch and stay hydrated"! Indeed! LOL! I'll be doing that tomorrow... as well as taking my Tylenol "before, during and after" I work on spreading this:

5 years ago

windymess..don't work too hard!

5 years ago

Windymess, you're going to make your plants very happy with the new soil/compost!

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert