SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sporthybrid

Tying in "old addition" during exterior renovation

Cole
5 years ago

Hello, I am renovating a 1930s era house. At some time in the past a 20'x11' addition was bumped out on the north side of the houses lower level. The house has a split layout and the addition is 2-3' below grade. The addition looks out of proportion to me now and as I plan out the exterior remodel. I have already extended the roof over hang on the main part of the house from having none to having a ~1' overhang. I plan on using Miratec Trim (painted white) which I have used on the fascia already for the new roof. I plan on using LP Smartside (smooth texture) with a 5" exposure (painted some midtone grey) as it seems very cost effective. I have not purchased any siding materials. What can I do to make this old addition look more proportional? It looks too short as the window sills sit near grade. I was wondering if a different siding type (vertical?) on the addition or fake railings or

anything that I could do to make it look more appropriate. It is reminiscent of a side porch but its in the ground of a basement walk out level. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you!

New roof w/overhang

Comments (18)