SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thehorseenabler

painting metal which will be in damp room -- help, please

thehorseenabler
5 years ago

I have received as many tips as the people with whom I've spoken, sites I've read (including old ones here on GW). I'm feeling (stupidly) overwhelmed, so am hoping someone can share their own experience(s) with me, please, and nudge me in a good direction.

I will be painting non-anodized aluminum Schluter Schiene strips to match a color in our (bathroom) tile. The strips will be in the shower as the edging for the encaustic / cement / Cuban tile surrounding the horizontal window and equally horizontal niche below. (These tiles do not come with a glazed edge or a bullnose option, and for multiple reasons we don't want the raw cement edge exposed.) While none of the plumbing fixtures are directed at the window / niche, of course they'll get damp because, I mean, it's a shower!

This niche is outlined in a very contrasting white, which I hate (no offense). By having the edging painted I want to avoid this jarring line.

And just as an fyi, this is the tile I'm having made:

At first I took the Schiene strips to a powder coating place because they state they can color match, so I also brought a sample of the (mustard) tile. When they say "color match" what they mean is like the Model T "any color you want so long as it's black." (They offer more than black, but they refuse to color match, telling the customer to find the single powder which matches -- no blending allowed. I researched, couldn't find any matte powder product which matched, so onto the next idea.)

The folks at Benjamin Moore told me to just use any of their DTM products which are tintable, but when pressed if I should use a primer, which primer, oil or water based, they said it was up to me. I also don't fill my own cavities so that was a stupid suggestion.

At the local and seemingly knowledgeable paint store I was told:

-no matter what use STIX primer by Insl-X

-paint withAura Bath + Spa (because it is matte [my preference], dries quickly and is designed to be in a damp environment), an acrylic product which comes in quarts, he also liked for our application because he said I'll probably have to frequently touch-up (um, not interested), and this is a quick + easy solution for that

-OR paint with BM DTM Alkyd Low Lustre (oil-based), which only comes in gallons (the gentleman at the paint store knows I have such a tinky-tiny area to paint he didn't want me to have to purchase a gallon)

Poking around the internet I found some recs for BM Ultra Spec HP DTM Acrylic.

Now I am just confused, probably overwhelmed with options, none of which seem clear-cut. I really want to give this option a fighting chance, so am happy (truly) to do the prep work needed.

Any ideas? Any recommendations?

Thank you.

Comments (4)