SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
local_eater

Revisiting a recipe

localeater
5 years ago

Last week as I was planning meals, I perused my clipped recipes, saw one I had made and saved and decided to try it again. It was an old one, I think I made it in 2010. I can picture my sons being 7 and 9 and coming in from sledding. I recollect loving it but that the kids were 'meh'. Well the kids are young men now.

Boy, was this a hit. Pot scraped clean, husband and son by pot, with bread dabbing the leftover sauce. I will definitely put this in the rotation. Note: I will doubled the kale, and probably used less potatoes than called for because that was what I had.

Dijon Chicken Stew with Potatoes and Kale

4 teaspoons olive oil, divided

2 cups sliced leek

4 garlic cloves, minced

1/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 ounces)

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces

1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces

1/2 teaspoon salt, divided

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided

1 cup dry white wine

3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled white potato (about 1 pound)

8 cups loosely packed torn kale (about 5 ounces)

Crushed red pepper (optional

Preparation:

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add leek; sauté 6 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Spoon leek mixture into a large bowl.

Place cut up chicken in a empty bowl, add flour, salt and pepper. Toss.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in batches, shaking off excess flour and leaving excess flour in bowl(reserve). As chicken is browned, move browned chicken to the bowl with the leeks.

When all the chicken is cooked, deglaze the empty dutch oven by adding wine to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.

To the bowl with the leftover flour from the chicken, add 1 c broth and whisk until smooth. Incorporate the mustard and remaining broth. Add to pot and bring to a boil. Add potatoes, kale, chicken and leeks. Cover, let it return to a boil and then simmer for 40 minutes.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH