SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Do you have any of Doucanoe/Linda's recipes to share?

l pinkmountain
5 years ago

As I mentioned in another post about organizing CF recipes, when I did my most cooking I was haphazard about storing the recipes, I either bookmarked them or copied and pasted them into a WORD document on my computer. But that computer went all wonky before I could back up most of them, so I lost them and also haven't reclaimed my boxes and boxes of stuff from storage so have few of the printed recipes. Plus my time and effort devoted to cooking has gone way down. BUT, I would like to make one of her dishes next week in honor of her. I can't remember a whole lot of specific recipes I made, other than her mushroom wild rice soup. Does anyone have that recipe? Or any others you could share? That would be greatly appreciated by many I think.

Comments (23)

• catticusmockingbird
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The last recipe I got from Linda is one of my favorites.

Maple-Chili Glazed Pork Medallions

1 teaspoon chili powder (I use 1/2 teaspoon)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (I increase to 1 teaspoon)

1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick medallions

2 teaspoons olive oil

1/4 cup apple cider (I increase to 1/2 cup)
    1 tablespoon maple syrup
    1 teaspoon cider vinegar (I use rice wine vinegar)

1. Mix chili powder, salt and ground chipotle in a small bowl. Sprinkle over both sides of pork.

2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Set aside and keep warm.

3. Add cider, syrup and vinegar to the pan. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the sauce is reduced to a thick glaze, 1 to 3 minutes (longer if you increase the cider). Return the pork for a minute or so. Serve the pork drizzled with the glaze.

--Linda

• annie1992
    5 years ago

I have her Limoncello recipe, and the hash brown quiche, which really belongs to another poster here, but Linda made it in Chicago at Peppi's and it was delicious, so I always think of her when I make it.

Limoncello
    (doucanoe/Linda)

10 large lemons
    1 750ml bottle of good vodka
    3 c sugar
    2-1/2 c water

Scrub lemons well. Using a vegetable peeler, carefully remove enough of the yellow peel to make 2 cups. (Juice lemons and save juice for another use).

In large glass pitcher or bowl, combine the lemon peel and the vodka. Cover tightly and let stand in a cool place for 10 days, gently swirling the mixture in the container ach day. At the end of 10 days, strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve, discard the lemon peel. Return the lemon-infused vodka to the pitcher.

For syrup: In medium saucepan, combibe sugar and water. Bring just to boiling, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cool to room temperature. Pour syrup into infused odka, stir to combine. Cover and chill overnight before serving.

Pour into clean bottles with lids and store in refrigerator up to one month.

Hash Brown Quiche

Sue/cookingrvc via Linda/Doucanoe

3c frozen hash browns (Southern Style)

1 small onion, diced

1/3 c butter, melted
    1 cooked ham steak, diced
    8oz swiss cheese, grated
    8oz muenster cheese, grated
    2-1/4c milk or cream
    6 eggs
    Salt to taste

Preheat oven to 425F. Mix together hash browns and onion
    Press into 9x13 pan . Drizzle with melted butter. Bake 25-35 minutes until golden

Reduce oven temperature to 325F. Toss together ham and cheeses, place into hot crust. Mix milk, eggs and salt and pour into crust. Bake uncovered for 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

I'm sure I have more, I just have to think...

Annie

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Thank you Doucanoe (aka: Linda)!

Q

Comments (32)
    Kathy, Wild Rice needs a longer cooking time. You'll know it's done when it kind of breaks open and "curls". Hard to explain, but you'll know it when you see it! LOl It stays a bit crunchy (sort of) and doesn't get sticky like white rice. Has a nice nutty flavor. Tracey, if you can't find it let me know. I will send you some. Linda
    ...See More

Do you have any special recipes for tailgating parties????

Q

Comments (12)
    This is always a huge success :-) LOUISIANA JAMBALAYA 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (do NOT substitute) 2 red onions, chopped 5 green onions, chopped 1 large green bell pepper, chopped 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped 2 bay leaves 1 jalapeño chili, finely chopped with seeds 1 Tablespoon Creole Seasoning 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled 2 Tablespoons tomato paste 1 pound andouille sausage or hot Italian sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces ½ pound small or med. shrimp (precooked) 2 14-1/2-ounce cans chicken broth 1 16-ounce can plum tomatoes, diced, with liquid (or Rotelle) 3 cups long-grain rice Melt butter in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add red onions, 4 green onions, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaves, jalapeño, Creole Seasoning, cayenne pepper and oregano. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Mix in tomato paste. Add sausage, shrimp, broth, tomatoes and rice. Bring mixture to simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until rice is very tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Serves 10. DoesnÂt freeze well.
    ...See More

Linda (doucanoe) is a real gem!

Q

Comments (11)
    Wow! That is a beautiful handmade card! For some reason handmade paper is an obsession of mine...:-) I purchased all that I could afford, that would fit in my luggage, in San Diego one time. Love love love it! I have been on the receiving end of a few of Linda's beautiful pieces. In a swap I received a set of beautiful handmade square plates that I use all the time when we have guest. I love them. I also have an angel in the window that brings back memories of Linda every time I see it. This is the kind of stuff that makes me happy so I know you are smiling Sharon. WTG Linda!
    ...See More

Do You Have A Recipe to Share?

Q

Comments (27)
    My mother used to make this on days too hot for much stove cooking. Garden Tomato Stuffed with June Pea Shrimp Salad 1 can Le Seur Early Peas, drained (in the silver foil label) 3-4 chopped hard boiled eggs 1/4 to 1/2 c chopped or mini shrimp cooked in salted water 1/2 c diced celery 1/4 c chopped pecans Dressing 1 c mayonaise 1/3 c Del Monte brand only Sweet Pickle Relish 1/2 tsp prepared mustard 1/2 tsp paprika Mix dressing in a small bowl. Mix other ingredients in a larger bowl and add enough dressing to moisten ingredients to your taste. Slice a garden fresh tomato into wedges, place in a circle on a plate and fill the center with a cup of the salad. Voila.
    ...See More
  • cloudy_christine
    5 years ago

She posted several good-looking recipes on this lemon thread.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/i-looooove-lemon-dsvw-vd~2490732

• cloudy_christine
    5 years ago

I also saved her recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/chicken-tikka-masala-dsvw-vd~2427778

• Janie
    5 years ago

Great for a potluck - it was a hit for my group.

Posted by doucanoe(Linda)(My Page) on

Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 20:32

My good friend Vicki makes this for lots of parties and it's always the first one gone!

Vicki's Bean Dip

1 can cheddar cheese soup

1 can chili beef soup

1 can refried beans

1 can diced green chilis

1lb Monterey jack cheese, grated

Mix all ingredients in a saucepan or small crockpot until melted.

Serve warm with tortilla chips.

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Did anyone save any of the old soup threads? Those were some of my favorites.

I love lemon but my husband does not. It's the one real shame of our culinary union since he likes so many other things and is a good cook.

• bragu_DSM 5
    5 years ago

you can find many of Linda's recipes (like these) in the cookalong section of the cooking FAQ ... some great memories there

Honey Grapefruit Granita

4 c fresh pink grapefruit juice (about 10 large fruits)

1-1/3 c basic sugar syrup (recipe follows)
    1/3 c honey

Combine juice and basic sugar syrup in a lrge bowl, stir well and set aside. Place honey in small bowl, microwave on high 30 seci=onds or until warm. Add to juice mixture and stir well. Pour mixture into 9 x 13 baking dish, cover and freeze 8 hours or until firm.

Remove mixture from freezer and scrape with tines of a fork until fluffy. Spoon into container, cover and freeze for up to one month. Yield: 6 one-cup servings

Basic Sugar Syrup

4-1/2 c sugar
    4 c water

Combine sugar and water in large saucepan, stir well. Bring to boil and cook 1 minute or until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Cool before using.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These are like just the top part of a muffin! Really easy, good and healthy too!

Blueberry Breakfast Tops
    From Weight Watchers
    INSTRUCTIONS

2 spray(s) cooking spray
    1 1/4 cup(s) blueberries, fresh (or thawed, if frozen)
    2 Tbsp sugar
    1 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup(s) uncooked cornmeal
    1 Tbsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp table salt
    1 cup(s) buttermilk
    1/3 cup(s) honey
    3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
    1 large egg(s), beaten

Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, toss blueberries with sugar; set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, honey, butter and egg. Pour wet ingredients into flour mixture and beat thoroughly to combine; fold in berries.

Place twelve 1/4 cup scoops of batter on prepared baking sheet about 2-inches apart. Bake until tops just start to turn golden, about 12 to 15 minutes. Yields 1 per serving.

Linda

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

Like Mockingbird, I have Linda's Medallion recipe.

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bragu thanks for pointing out the location of the FAQs! What a relief to know the cookalong threads still exist. They contained many of my lost recipes!

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

I didn't know Linda... but I sure am happy to see all these lovely recipes of hers. Lars, I love wild rice... that soup sounds so good, thank you!

• User
    5 years ago

Her account is still active if you want to search for posts.

https://www.houzz.com/user/doucanoe

• catticusmockingbird
    5 years ago

Sherry, thanks for sharing.

This is my favorite Thai soup next to lemongrass.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/3601255/thanks-again-lars

• Lars
    5 years ago

Here's a Wild Rice & Mushroom soup recipe that I saved, but I don't know whose it was:

Wild rice and Mushroom Soup

White mushrooms can be substituted for the cremini mushrooms. We use a spice grinder to process the dried shiitake mushrooms, but a blender also works.

Ingredients

1/4 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms, rinsed
    4 1/4 cups water
    1 sprig fresh thyme
    1 bay leaf
    1 garlic clove, peeled, plus 4 cloves, minced
    Salt and pepper
    1/4 teaspoons baking soda
    1 cup wild rice
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 pound cremini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
    1 onion, chopped fine
    1 teaspoon tomato paste
    2/3 cup dry sherry
    4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1/4 cup minced fresh chives
    1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest

Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Grind shiitake mushrooms in spice grinder until finely ground (you should have about 3 tablespoons).

2. Bring 4 cups water, thyme, bay leaf, garlic clove, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and baking soda to boil in medium saucepan over high heat. Add rice and return to boil. Cover saucepan, transfer to oven, and bake until rice is tender, 35 to 50 minutes. Strain rice through fine-mesh strainer set in 4-cup liquid measuring cup; discard thyme, bay leaf, and garlic. Add enough water to reserved cooking liquid to measure 3 cups.

3. Melt butter in Dutch oven over high heat. Add cremini mushrooms, onion, minced garlic, tomato paste, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are browned and dark fond develops on bottom of pot, 15 minutes. Add sherry, scraping up any browned bits, and cook until reduced and pot is almost dry, about 2 minutes. Add ground shiitake mushrooms, reserved rice cooking liquid, broth, and soy sauce and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until onion and mushrooms are tender, about 20 minutes.

4. Whisk cornstarch and remaining ¼ cup water in small bowl. Stir cornstarch slurry into soup, return to simmer, and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove pot from heat and stir in cooked rice, cream, chives, and lemon zest. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

-from unknown poster, but it seems to have been taken from Cooks Illustrated.

ETA: When I wrote this, I did not realize that Linda had passed on :(.

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh Sherry, so sad to read those posts! Linda and I shared so many loves--art, family, upper midwest, log homes, gardening, a certain cooking sensibility . . . I only wish I could match her good humor and liveliness!

Not a harsh word ever posted! The world has lost a gem!

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

It's Linda's Marinara sauce that we make.

• magothyrivergirl
    5 years ago

I am making Linda's recipe on this snowy day.

Posted by Duocanoe on Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 19:26

Hearty Pork Stew with Squash

Source: Penzey's One 2/09

1 1/2 lb boneless pork loin roast, trimmed and cubed

(I used boneless chops) Linda's note

3 medium carrots, peeled and and cut into 1/4" slices

1 medium onion, chopped

2 c peeled parsnips, cubed

1 1/2 c butternut squash, peeled and cubed

4 c chicken broth

1 T fresh sage or 3/4 tsp dried

2 tsp fresh thyme or 3/4 tsp dried

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

3 T flour

3 T butter, softened

In a 4-5 Quart slow cooker, mix the pork and remaining ingredients except flour and butter. Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours. OR.....place in a covered pot in the oven at 350 degrees for 2 hours.

In a small bowl, mix together the flour and butter. Gradually stir into the stew until blended. Increase setting to high, or return to oven. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally until thickened.

6 servings.

Linda

My notes: Can be cooked on stove top in heavy dutch oven (covered). Stir often and watch carefully.

Allow 3 hours.

• Lars
    5 years ago

I have quite a few recipes saved from her - some from the cookalong threads. Here's one from a Greek thread:

San,
    this one is fabulous! I have made it with shrimp, and also with
    chicken. We love it ,and it gives you another reason to buy more
    marinated artichoke hearts! (Which I could eat an entire jar of...)

GREEK-STYLE PASTA WITH SHRIMP
    A simple dish from the Cottage Inn, Eureka Springs, Arkansas.
    Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.

1/4 cup olive oil
    4 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
    1 1/2 cups drained canned artichoke hearts, chopped
    1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
    1/2 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried
    12 ounces angel hair pasta or linguine
    Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds. Add shrimp and sauté until almost cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add artichokes, feta, tomatoes, lemon juice, parsley and oregano and sauté until shrimp are cooked through, about 2 minutes.
    Season with salt and pepper.
    Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. Transfer pasta to large bowl.
    Add shrimp mixture to pasta and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

Serves 4.
    Bon Appétit
    June 1995
    My notes: This is also good with chicken in place of the shrimp. Add cheese last and do not cook longer than instructions.

Linda

Plus This Greek Salad

Greek Orzo Salad -- Doucanoe
    1 1/2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
    1 tomato, seeded and chopped
    1 cucumber, seeded and chopped
    1 red onion, chopped
    1 (2 ounce) can black olives, drained
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (can substitute dill)
    1 cup crumbled feta cheese
    Directions
    Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. In large bowl combine pasta, tomato, cucumber, onion, olives, parsley, Toss and chill for 1 hour in refrigerator.
    Just before serving, combine olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and oregano, drizzle over salad, add feta, toss and serve.

• Lars
    5 years ago

This is from Cookalong #18 -- Mushrooms:

I love, love, love fungus! LOL
    Some of my favorites....

This one makes a really nice light lunch or is great for breakfast, too!

Croutes Aux Champignons

4 slices bread
    1/2 c butter, divided
    12oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
    1 small onion, chopped
    1T flour
    1/2c stock (I use beef)
    1/2c dry white wine
    1/4c heavy cream
    parsley

Saute onion in half the butter until tender. Add mushrooms and cook until liquid has evaporated. Stir in flour, gradually add stock and wine.
    Stir in cream and simmer until thickened. Meanwhile, butter both sides of bread, and
    toast on griddle until golden brown on both sides.
    Spoon mushroom sauce over bread slices, serve warm sprinkled with chopped parsley.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sherried Brie and Mushroom Soup
    Makes 8 cups

1 lb. Brie cheese
    2 cups dry sherry
    1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 pound crimini mushrooms, sliced
    1/2 cup minced shallots
    1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
    2 tablespoons flour
    4 cups low-sodium beef broth
    1 3/4 cups half and half
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh chives, for garnish
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Trim the rind from the brie and then roughly tear it into 2-inch pieces. (It is easy to trim if you first place the cheese in the freezer for 30 minutes or until it is sufficiently hard.) Set aside.

In a small saucepan, reduce the sherry over medium-high heat to 1 cup. Set aside.

In a medium stockpot over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the mushrooms, shallots, and lemon juice and cook for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat, add the flour, and stir until the flour is fully incorporated.

Return the mixture to heat and add the beef broth and reserved sherry. Raise the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

Add the trimmed Brie, stirring until the cheese has melted. Add the half and half and pepper and continue to simmer without boiling for 5 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper.

To serve, ladle the soup into separate bowls and garnish each with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the chives.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Crockpot Beef Stroganoff

1-1/2 lb stew meat cut into cubes
    1T cooking oil
    1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
    1/4c minced onion
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/8 tsp dried thyme, crushed
    1 bay leaf
    1-1/2c beef broth
    1/3c dry red wine
    1 c sour cream
    1/2c flour
    1/4c water
    4c hot cooked noodles or rice

In
    large skillet brown the beef in hot oil, drain. In crockpot combine beef, mushrooms, onions, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper thyme and bay leaf. Pour in broth and wine. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or on high 4-5 hours.
    Discard bay leaf, and turn crockpot to high heat.

Mix
    together sour cream, flour and water. Stir about 1 cup of the hot liquid into the sour cream mixture, return all to crockpot and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high heat for 30 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
    Serve over noodles or rice. Serves 6
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

INA GARTEN’S PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM LASAGNA

• Kosher salt
    • Good olive oil
    • 3/4 pound dried lasagna noodles
    • 4 cups whole milk
    • 12 tablespoons (11/2 sticks) unsalted butter, divided
    • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    • 1 1/2 pounds portobello mushrooms
    • 1 cup freshly ground Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Bring
    a large pot of water to a boil with 1 tablespoon salt and a splash of oil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and set aside.

For the white sauce, bring the milk to a simmer in a saucepan. Set aside. Melt 8 tablespoons (1 stick) of the butter in a large saucepan. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Pour the hot milk into the butter-flour mixture all at once. Add 1 tablespoon salt, the pepper, and nutmeg, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring first with the wooden spoon and then with a whisk, for 3 to 5 minutes, until thick. Set aside off the heat.

Separate the mushroom stems from the caps and discard the stems. Slice the caps 1/4-inch thick. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large (12-inch) saute pan. When the butter melts, add half the mushrooms, sprinkle with salt, and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and they release some of their juices. If they become too dry, add a little more oil. Toss occasionally to make sure the mushrooms cook evenly. Repeat with the remaining mushrooms and set all the mushrooms aside.

To assemble the lasagna, spread some of the sauce in the bottom of an 8 by 12 by 2-inch baking dish. Arrange a layer of noodles on top, then more sauce, then 1/3 of the mushrooms, and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan. Repeat 2 more times, layering noodles, sauce, mushrooms, and Parmesan. Top with a final layer of noodles and sauce, and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.

Bake the lasagna for 45 minutes, or until the top is browned the sauce is bubbly and hot. Allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes and serve hot.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And a super simple appetizer...

Balsamic Mushrooms

1/4 c olive oil
    12 oz button mushrooms
    3 T balsamic vinegar
    1 tsp coarse salt
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    fresh ground pepper

Heat
    oil in skillet over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Stir in vinegar, salt and red pepper flakes, season with pepper. Cook one minute more. Transfer to serving dish, serve hot or at room temperature.

Linda

• Lars
    5 years ago

Here are chicken recipe:

Spicy Chicken Cakes with Horseradish Aioli ==========================================

* Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on Tue, Jul 31, 07 at 8:38

Spicy Chicken Cakes with Horseradish Aioli CAKES

2 (1 1/2-ounce) slices whole wheat bread 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning 1/4 teaspoon salt 2 large egg whites 2 teaspoons canola oil

NOTE: I used real Hellmans, not low-fat and I added a minced garlic clove and cayenne pepper in place of the Cajun seasoning.

NOTE: Made my own Aioli. A garlic Lemon Aioli using the extra egg yolks, and adding 3 large cloves of garlic, fresh squeezed lemon juice, lemon zest salt, pepper and olive oil.

AIOLI: 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic 1/8 teaspoon salt

To prepare cakes, place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1 cup (discard remaining breadcrumbs). Set breadcrumbs aside. Place chicken in food processor; pulse until ground. Combine chicken, chives, 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon salt, egg whites, and breadcrumbs in a medium bowl; mix well (mixture will be wet). Divide mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add patties; cook 7 minutes on each side or until done.

RE: Favorite Chicken Recipes

Posted by: marigene (My Page) on Tue, Apr 11, 06 at 10:13

My favorite is the Tuscan Garlic Chicken posted by Doucanoe (Linda) posted back the beginning of the year. The only change I made was to use less of the heavy cream! We like it so well that we have been having it a couple times a month.

Tuscan Garlic Chicken

Inspired by our Culinary Institute of Tuscany, this chicken pasta dish is layered with flavors!
    Servings: 6
    cook: 30 min(s)

Ingredients:
    3 lb(s) Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 1/2 cup(s) Flour, plus 1 tablespoon
    1 Tbsp Salt
    2 tsp Black pepper
    2 tsp Italian herb seasoning
    1 lb(s) Penne pasta
    1 Tbsp Garlic, chopped
    1 Red pepper, julienne cut
    1/2 cup(s) White wine
    1/2 lb(s) Whole leaf spinach, stemmed
    12 oz Heavy cream
    1 cup(s) Parmesan cheese, grated

Procedures:
    Preparing the Chicken:
    - Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, black pepper and Italian herb seasoning in a shallow dish.
    - Dredge chicken in the mixture, shaking off any excess.
    - Saute the chicken in batches, in a large, nonstick, ovenproof skillet - with enough oil to coat - over medium-high heat for about two to three minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crisp.
    - When finished, transfer the ovenproof skillet to a preheated oven at 350 degrees F. Cook for approximately 15 minutes or until cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.

Preparing the Pasta:
    - Cook pasta al dente (or according to package instructions).
    - Drain and set aside until needed.

Preparing the Sauce:
    - While the pasta is cooking, heat 1/2 to 1 fluid ounce of oil in a sauce pan. Add the garlic and the red pepper and cook for approximately one minute.
    - Slowly add remaining one tablespoon of flour and stir to combine.
    - Next add the white wine and bring to a boil for about one minute.
    Add the spinach and the cream and bring to a boil. The sauce is done cooking when the spinach becomes wilted. Complete by stirring in the parmesan cheese.

Preparing Tusacan Garlic Chicken Entree:
    - Partly coat the pasta with the sauce, transfer to a large bowl (or individual dishes) and then top with the chicken, the remaining sauce and extra Parmesan cheese. Serve and enjoy.

It is much simpler than it looks. And good!

Linda

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We had the wild rice soup with the pork medallions for dinner. Both were great and I managed to not overcook the pork which is quite an accomplishment for me! I did have trouble with the roasted rutabaga and turnip side dish but that was because I don't make them often and forgot how long they take!

• Monty_Abby
    5 years ago

Lars, that Spicy Chicken Cakes is a favourite. I haven't made those in a while.

Here is another.

Meyer Lemon Pudding Cakes

=========================

Linda Doucanoe

1/3 cup sugar

1/4 cup sugar, plus additional for ramekins

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

2-3 Meyer or regular lemons

3 large eggs, separated

2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted and cooled

1 cup whole milk

1 pint raspberries, for garnish

Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease eight 4- to 5-ounce

ramekins; sprinkle with sugar to coat bottoms and sides. Shake out

any excess.

In small bowl, whisk flour, 1/3 cup sugar, and salt. grate 1 1/2

tablespoons peel and squeeze 1/2 cup juice. In large bowl, with

wire whisk, beat egg yolks and lemon peel and juice. Whisk in

butter and milk. Gradually whisk in flour mixture.

In another large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites

until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar until soft

peaks form when beaters are lifted, about 2 to 3 minutes.

Add one-third beaten whites to yolk mixture and, with rubber

spatula, stir gently until incorporated. Gently fold in remaining

whites until just incorporated. With ladle, divide batter evenly

among prepared ramekins.

Arrange ramekins 1 inch apart in large (17-inch by 13-inch)

roasting pan. Fill pan with enough hot water to come halfway up

sides of ramekins. Carefully transfer pan to oven and bake 30 to

35 minutes or until cakes are golden brown and tops rise 1/2 inch

above rims.

Cool cakes in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. With sturdy metal

spatula, carefully remove ramekins from pan with water and

transfer to wire rack to cool 15 minutes longer.

Run thin knife around edge of 1 ramekin. Place small serving plate

on top of ramekin and invert plate and ramekin together; remove

ramekin. Repeat with remaining ramekins. Garnish each cake with a

couple of raspberries and a mint sprig; serve warm.

• Pat_T
    5 years ago

Here are a couple more that I have saved over the years from Linda:

Roasted Red Pepper Paste

1 (4 oz.) jar roasted red peppers, drained

Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil

Handful flat parsley leaves

1 large clove garlic, peeled

Salt & pepper

Combine all ingredients in food processor and pulse until a
    thick paste.

Serve on Portobello burgers, hamburgers and other
    sandwiches.

Source: Rachel Ray.
    Posted by doucanoe (Linda) at the ths.com Cooking Forum.

Chicken Fettuccini with Garlic Cream Sauce

2 Tblsp. extra virgin olive oil

4 large cloves garlic, minced

2 small scallions, minced

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" cubes

1/4 cup dry white wine

3/4 cup heavy cream

1/4 cup Parmesan, grated

1 Tblsp. dried parsley

1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped

1/2 lb. fettuccini

Salt to taste

Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente.

In large skillet over medium heat, sauté garlic and scallion
    in olive oil until browned. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink. Deglaze
    pan with wine; reduce. Stir in cream, Parmesan, parsley, red pepper and salt.
    Simmer until chicken is cooked through. Toss with cooked pasta, serve garnished
    with fresh grated Parmesan and additional parsley.

Posted by Linda (doucanoe) at the ths.com Cooking Forum.

Creamy Corn and Garlic Risotto

Enjoy a new version of creamy risotto with corn and cheese.

3-3/4 cups vegetable broth

4 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 cup uncooked Arborio rice

1 bag (1 lb.) frozen whole kernel corn

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Heat 1/3 cup of the broth to boiling in 10-inch skillet. Cook garlic in broth 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Stir in rice and corn. Cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining broth. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium. Continue cooking uncovered 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender and creamy; remove from heat. Stir in
    cheeses and parsley.

Posted by doucanoe at the ths.com cooking forum.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!