SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dillon_mchugh

Heat pump exhaust, should i be concerned?

Dillon McHugh
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Just bought my first house in November. Been finding all the hidden custom cheap jobs done to my house. One thing in particular is my gas/electric heat pump exhaust.
The furnace is right next to the chimney and before we moved in the was a hole in the chimney. When we moved in the hole was sealed shut. Just noticed the other day that the furnace exhaust is running through pvc piping along the ceiling and going through the brick foundation to the side of the house...literally 3 feet away from the heat pump outside. Why they didn't use the hole in the chimney is beyond me.
If theres no wind it goes up and dissapates slowly. If a low breeze comes through i can see all the exhaust vapor/smoke/c02 or whatever it is getting sucked up by the heat pump and disappearing somewhere back into the house.
So far no one has experienced any new health issues out of the ordinary. I'm guessing this is probably not a good thing :P Like i said there are many cheap custom jobs going on around here including knob and tube mixed with GFI on a 100amp circuit breaker...pretty sure we fell into a money pit. Just gonna upgrade everything safety related and try to break even when we end up selling in a few years. Sorry just had to vent a bit...see what I did there? :D

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES