SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jpy2013

Hire Insurance Adjuster for claim after fire?

J Y
5 years ago
Our rowhouse including a brand new addition that were barely moved into, was damaged by a fire from the next door neighbor's rowhome.

We had a good deal of damage: Smoke damage through the entire upstairs (all ceilings and insulation to be replaced), some structural damage where a corner of our new addition caught fire, damage to brand new wood floors. Additional water damage occurred when the tarp put up by the remediation company failed when it rained a few days later causing water to leak downstairs into our brand new kitchen and into the basement below.

This is a nightmare and we are living in a hotel right now thanks to insurance coverage. In the meantime we want to get started with repairs and use the contractor who just did our addition - he wasn't even completely done yet!

First bid back from insurance undercut our contractor's $60k bid by $11k. We have some back and forth to go to get the estimates closer together, and think we will definitely narrow the gap, but I'm worried we will still end up a bit short in the end for what we fairly need.

I've read public insurance adjusters can help enormously in these situations, but they take a 10% cut at least? We can't afford to pay $6k of a $60k estimate to them, it would be the same out of pocket to us as not using a public adjuster and insurance still undercutting us $6k. Or am I not understanding how this would work?

Comments (11)