SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
libster1

Kitchen is too busy

Libster
5 years ago
We have lived here several years and find the kitchen is too busy especially with granite countertops combined with granite backsplash to the ugly large vent over the stove. We don’t want to rip everything out (cost) but would like to simplify and modernize the look. Any suggestions welcome!

Comments (56)

• cupofjoy
    5 years ago

I would change the backsplash. If you are concern with the cost of doing that, look for a peel & stick tile for a inexpensive update until you decide on a kitchen renovation. I would also brighten your paint up.

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    The ceiling and wall color is overpowering. I would paint it all a very light cream color. The band along the vent hood bottom could be painted a wood color to reduce the bulky look., or you could attach wood trim. You could place a sheet of brushed/matte finished stainless steel above the stove to hide the granite there. It would need to have a finished edge, probably wrapped in stainless steel to hide the sharp edge. Adjust the light which hits the vent hood so it hits the range instead. Maybe you could bring in a runner rug or two in front of the stove and sink to help break up the vast gold floor tile.
  • Related Discussions

can i mix travertine and stainless steel tiles in backsplash?

Q

Comments (15)
    Mikewood, our granite is called Golden Crystal. I don't have photos of our backsplash installed, but was inspired by Kellienoelle's (link attached to her reveal post). It's Crossville RetroActive in empress white- unpolished (so no sheen, a very matte finish), in the longer rectangular shape to set it apart from traditional subway. It's also not a stark white, but almost an antique white, even a tad gray in some light, both coordinate with our counter. My DH too was convinced we needed travertine because he "liked the way it looks." And he was leery of a white tile in subway shape for fear of it seeming like a bathroom. I love travertine, but not with our granite. It sometimes takes a lot of convincing to get someone out of their preconceived notions. While the backsplash may be considered boring by some, it offsets our beautiful granite and cabinets perfectly. It's the perfect backdrop, and our granite's the star. Here is a link that might be useful: busy granite with plain backsplash
    ...See More

Diagonal Tile Floor with Diagonal Back-splash?

Q

Comments (1)
    I went through this as well (before I changed the whole blasted thing) and the consensus I got was to vary--if you have diagonal on one, do straight or running bond on the other. But if diagonal makes you happy, do what makes you happy.
    ...See More

Please help me with cabinets decisions! Several Questions.

Q

Comments (21)
    I will be happy not to push the DW around every day, or move the trash can and cat bowls to access cabinets, or banging my arm on the microwave that sits on a cart that sticks out into the doorway. I also wanted to move the stove away from the bathroom door. If I'm cooking and someone is in there I am at least 15 extra inches way from them. I had to keep reducing my storage space in order to get the functionality that I was looking for (such as long stretches of open counter, microwave above the counter). Although I hated to lose 1 square inch I finally had to prioritize those things that would affect me every DAY when I use the kitchen versus storage for things that I use once a week, once a month or even once a year. So I will be storing some less often used things a little further away, maybe even in the garage, but the DAILY use stuff is easier. I know you have a budget cap and moving things around will start to eat it up fast, but consider trying to do things that will affect you all the time, even if you have to sacrifice some storage space. Which would you rather do, roll the dishwasher in and connect it every day, or bring the breadmaker in from the garage/basement twice a year...they're not comparable, but I think you get my point. Think about what annoys you DAILY and spend your money on that. On another note I can commiserate with you on not being able to discuss things with DH. In my case it's DW. When we started this project I just assumed she would be very interested in every detail. I quickly discovered I couldn't hold her attention with kitchen stuff for more than about 30 seconds. Who would have thought I would have married the one woman who's not interested in colors, design, styles (just kidding). But then my wife and I are a little backwards...we often joke about how we kind of reverse stereotypical roles. Anyway I found Gardenweb and I had an outlet for my desire to talk about all things kitchen... Of course I never really had to argue about anything because she would go along with whatever I wanted...so it's all good. :) - Jim
    ...See More

My Kitchen backsplash is too busy! Help

Q

Comments (36)
    Monochromatic means one color. I'd say this actually is monochromatic or close to it--all the same color family. The issue isn't that it is too colorful. The issue is whether it is too busy. That relates to pattern, which I think people often discuss in terms of whether something is too "busy." It is too busy for my taste. If the OPer had said in her first post, I love my new tile, I wouldn't say anything. But since she asked, I do think it is too busy. And I don't think the sunk cost is a reason not to change it. I think it can be changed with not much additional cost by simply pulling down the tile and painting a neutral color pulled from the countertop, or really even a different color which would be a way to introduce color without pattern. And a recent, favorite, not-at-all monochromatic kitchen reveal here that comes immediately to mind is Carrieb's.
    ...See More
  • everdebz
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Just a photo that I see, but the microwave seems 'too bad' more than the hood - but I wonder what the hood is made of.... I'd paint the island and hood in a very similar color, and not so neutral. Let them have a structure team, bigger than the backsplash and more 'visible'

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Tate Studio Architects: cabinets are Oak and distressed to look aged. 2 stains, one dark and one light. The center panels on the minor cabinets and the range hood are rusted and sealed sheet steel. We wanted a contemporary look with a hint of old handcrafted ranch feel.

---------if you have access, maybe creative natural/ rustic/ industrial "trim" could added to base of your hood ?

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Instead you could look into a nice metal like this section over the wood 'trim'

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Given it is dark as a tomb, given the cabinetry is fairly traditional...........I'd paint all the cabinetry, riip out the heavy hood and replace with stainless. Simple dark counters, plain , that won't compete with your FLOORING. Light tile toned to cabinet white. Fifty gallons of paint. : ) A professional paint job on the cabinetry will not be less than 7 k. Conversion varnish/off site. etc.

Include under cabinet lighting in your budget, And look into a reduction in that soffit on left. Before anything. Close up the "triangle". It only adds to the busy.

The point is, do you like it enough to throw 20 k plus at it?

If not? You have your answer. Save for the rip out and re do.

• tdemonti
    5 years ago

Simpler hood, lighter paint and and daylight bulbs.

• daneejela
    5 years ago

I like the big vent over stone! I think in right surroundings it can look great.

I would do two main changes: switch backsplash into something simpler and paint the upper cabinets white (or white like that vent white).

It would give you much open and lighter space, but still warm, something like this:

• arcy_gw
    5 years ago

LOL the suggestions are not really budget friendly. The hood is a statement due to its size but then falls flat in that its finish is yawn. It's rather confusing. It is a beautiful kitchen. Love the interest/individuality of the ceiling angles. Painting the wood would be TRAGIC in my world. How difficult would it be to remove the back splash? Probably can't DIY it and get it out whole. Bet you could resale it if you could. Possibly you could camouflage with tiles? That is all I would want done a less in your face back splash. The stool seats are an easy change.

• K R
    5 years ago
    1. Paint it lighter
    2. Change the stools to a more modern stool
    3. If budget allows, change counters and backsplash
    It’s a great kitchen, just needs a little modernization.
  • scottie mom
    5 years ago

What is the surface material of the hood? Can you take a few more pictures to show how the kitchen meets the adjacent room (dining?) I think simplifying that ceiling (flattening it out and removing that triangle) might be the answer, and it’d allow you to revise the lighting, which is making all these angles and materials seem even more disparate. I’m intrigued!

And I agree. Cute pup!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I would get a new stainless hood , and if at all possible remove the backspash and replace with something very simple maybe even a glass subway tile. Change the knobs and pulls and maybe add a couple of pendants over the island BTW I loven the ceiling angles.

• RedRyder
    5 years ago
    Get a price on changing the backsplash. If you can afford that, then the rest of the changes would involve paint. (Walls and hood) to help lighten the space. Any changes to the triangle will involve construction costs.
  • Cyndy
    5 years ago

I would change the backsplash for sure. Maybe paint the island an accent color. Undercabinet lighting is another need.

• Sally W
    5 years ago
    I agree that all of the angles in the ceiling are distracting, but for my money, I would keep it simple: fresh paint, new, very quiet backsplash and a new counter for the island. Then if funds remained, I would do something with that hood and the stools.
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

Back to the stove hood - what feature don't you like?

Copper sheeting [or stainless steel] could cover much of it, by whoever knows how...

• Libster
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    As the owner of this kitchen, I hate the hood and the backsplash the most. I thought maybe removing the backsplash, the granite on the island (needs to be replaced as it does not extend beyond the cabinets and thus is very uncomfortable to sit at - not sure what to replace it granite with), and painting the walls much lighter would resolve much of the visual problems for me. All your comments are so helpful though it gives me more pause as to some different strategies. I wonder if covering the hood with a cool metal would be better than trying to rip it out and put in a stainless steel hood. I also had thought getting rid of the shelf that you see behind the triangle would help. I am not sure lowering the whole ceiling is necessary. I am thinking about the triangle and whether getting rid of it might help simplify the space also. Definitely I should put a solid color on the stool pads which I can do myself. I don’t want to get rid of them as they are actually pretty modern and are solid cherry wood. Lots to think about and welcome more suggestions. You guys are great!
  • silken1
    5 years ago

a lighter plain coloured backsplash and under cabinet lighting would brighten things up and make it less busy. Replace the chair pads. That range hood could possibly be clad with stainless steel sheet metal. Metal workers can do some amazing work. Or failing that, maybe paint it a bit darker colour so it doesn't stand out so much. Other than that, I think it looks quite nice. If I could afford it I would also consider replacing the granite with something less busy as I am not a fan of the speckly ones. But just removing it from the backsplash would make a big difference too.

• oldbat2be
    5 years ago

Libby - I like the kitchen and especially your pup!

I think paint, new backsplash and island top would give you a nice refresh. The island is small so you might find a remnant you like.

I see undertones of green and think the paint Rawketgrl suggested (or some version of it) would be a good choice. Here it is (upper walls) at about 50% opacity with a subway backsplash and lighter island.

Here also with a busier backsplash (Home Depot Hudson Tangier) scale is almost assuredly off), but I liked the color of this tile with your current wall paint.

Good luck!

• jpp221
    5 years ago
    I think it’s all the crazy angles in the ceiling. It’s like a geometry teacher’s dream. I’d simplify that, paint it something lighter, and if the backsplash still bothers you after that just cover it (even as a temporary fix for a few years) with some stainless steel or brushed aluminum laminate.
  • HU-531511000
    5 years ago

For me, the main thing that looks too busy and dated in this kitchen is the style of the doors with those embossed panel effects. I'd replace them with something lighter/brighter, flat and glossy. I think you need to contrast the pattern of the granite with something plain and smooth.

• Libster
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you all again. I am going to take all of your advice and see what I can get done. I would love to redo the whole kitchen but that isn’t going to happen. Look at what I am dealing with just across the room! More busy granite! At least it’s not way up the wall! This great room has more angles than some politicians.
  • Libster
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I should add that what you see as lighter paint is actually some smoothing of the lower walls - waiting to paint the whole room after I figure out the kitchen area. A previous owner had done a partial two story on this house and was an engineer so I figure this room is an homage to his profession.
  • Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Another vote for changing the backsplash,painting walls, ceiling and island white and changing the hardware to something more current.

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Here’s an inexpensive DIY option. No idea of the quality though.

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

• loobab
    5 years ago

I agree with changing the paint color of the kitchen to something less yellow.

And I see why you don't like the granite of the counters and the backsplash, they are busy, and too reminiscent of an office building.

If you can afford it, why not replace the counters with something that you like that is lighter in color with less movement and less contrast. Corian, quartz and quartzite are popular. And pick a backsplash that is also not too jazzy. Bring home some samples and live with them a while.

A hood is a hood. You could pain it the new pain color, cover it with stainless, or some decorative tiles, or with the material of your backsplash. You can save that for last, after you have picked your other materials.

If you will enlarge the counter of your island you will need to have trusses made to support the overhang. Please find a carpenter or contractor who knows what he is doing. Stone is very, very heavy.

• Kim
    5 years ago

To my eye, the hood is great but it looks ginormous because it's squished in between those 2 narrow cabinets on both sides. I'd think about removing those 2 narrow cabinets which would allow the hood to stand out in a good way.

• PRO
    Focal Point Hardware
    5 years ago

I think the paint color should be changed to one solid color, maybe a light gray would like nice with the granite. change the vent to stainless steel for a more current look. I think the granite counter tops can stay but the backsplash is overkill. if you want to change the look of the kitchen and make it more current and less busy u can change the backsplash to one color tile. good luck and cant wait to see the pictures of your new kitchen look

• AnnKH
    5 years ago

To my eye, the hood is great but it looks ginormous because it's squished in between those 2 narrow cabinets on both sides. I'd think about removing those 2 narrow cabinets which would allow the hood to stand out in a good way.

Good point! I'll bet those narrow little cabinets aren't very useful anyway.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    5 years ago

Embrace your architecture. I love it. Even the range hood. (and I don't like or understand the exposed range hood thing ). Yes in some modernist situations. Same with higher end new builds that put the range in a fake boxed-in hearth. I prep next to my sink and don't like an unnecessary wall in the way.

I would love to have that kitchen. I wish more people would do solid surface backsplash. My favorite few kitchens on these pages all have solid backsplashes. I understand the hate as it would not be my choice in flavor. I've never had tile in any of my kitchens.

The big sore thumb is the cabinets. They look like builder grade even if they are not. I would sell my car and drive a pinto if I could not afford new cabinet fronts. In fact they would have come off day one. The cabinet far right front gone completely. That end run would be our coffee station being close to the table and double as DH's baking station. He is the bread baker and makes a mess. That would keep him out of the main triangle where my time is spent. Three modern industrial open shelves above that area. Lower one not as deep but could keep minor most used smalls off the countertop. Second and third open shelves start at cabinet height.

Modernist flat front cabinets can be anything from warm wood to gloss enamel. Mine are teak. No hardware. Your upper cabinets (new flat fronts) could match your paint color in an enamel. Lowers and island could be wood to ground them. Bigger island by two-3 feet towards camera. Spin the granite towards your table for seating and add very affordable butcher block for stove prep that end.

But that is just if it was my kitchen.

Changing the counters and backsplash is very expensive. I would have to take public transpo. : )

• wacokid
    5 years ago

"Tear it all down" takes no imagination or creativity. I try to work with what I have and make it better without wasting money, time and aggravation. And I am no designer. I would try a light paint on the hood, what color? I have no idea. The angles and everything else make your kitchen unique and different from others.

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

The poster has stated she doesn’t want to rip it all out. So we are trying to be helpful...

• kazmom
    5 years ago

Wow, what a diverse group of opinions! I love your ceiling and I wouldn’t touch your cabinets! I would remove the backsplash and paint the walls and ceiling a lighter color, then I would possibly replace the hood and take out the two narrow cabinets on the side of the hood. That is probably the most I would do. I think once you get rid of the backsplash and paint it lighter you will like it better. It is very nice.

• Amariet
    5 years ago
    Paint it white and change out the backsplash. The space will brighten tremendously. Also, the color of the lighting is very yellow maybe change it to more white?
  • Brown Dog
    5 years ago
    Oh Libby. Your home is lovely but I think the very first thing you should do is hire a drywaller. I think once you deal with the unusual angles, your home will look a hundred times better (don't lose the height of the kitchen ceiling though). You have a great kitchen, it just needs a little updating. I would definitely paint the cabinets and your kitchen is big enough to do a 2 tone (dark on bottom, light on top? Or, island a different colour from perimeter?). I would also remove the uppers on the right side of window and have open shelving. As for the countertops and backsplash, start by replacing backsplash. You may like your counters once you do other changes. The strange triangle cutout above where you enter kitchen, would you be able to remove the horizontal lower part so that your kitchen ceiling just looks like it's sloped? Hope you post pics of any changes you make. This could be a really cool house! Good luck!
  • blueee
    5 years ago
    Hi! Pretty kitchen, cabinets are nice. I think what you may be reacting to is that it is all pretty matchy matchy. I would consider getting a new larger top for the island . I would think a black top but not real shiny. Maybe a leathered, matte top. I would paint the walls something less yellowish. You may also want to change the hardware to brushed nickel and maybe the faucet too. I would try those easy things first and see how you feel about it in 2 to 3 months. If you still feel something is off then go for the demo!
  • J J
    5 years ago
    following
  • Shasta
    5 years ago

To me, the triangle does nothing positive for your kitchen and it's distracting. I think, while you are in this process, it would be worth the time to get some bids and ideas for getting rid of the triangle from people who do drywall. Then you can decide whether it is worth tackling. Also, I think you could make that hood look nicer with some molding if you take out those 2 narrow cabinets. Here's our hood. We have a slanted ceiling like yours. (Pic is pre-countertop/backsplash).

• gustaruygers
    5 years ago
    I can see this kitchen looking great without any upper cabinets. It would give a more open feel and would make the ceiling angles become an asset.
  • kazmom
    5 years ago

Here is my thought on the ceiling, you are only going to really see the angles from the other room looking in. Once you are in the kitchen you aren’t looking up at the ceiling. Personally I like that It isn’t just like everyone else’s, but either way I don’t think it would distract from the kitchen when you are in the kitchen.

• misforminkGW
    5 years ago

I‘m on my phone so not able to see the colors real well. I would paint and honestly you could even paint the backsplash for a quick fix. Clean, prime with Zinnser Bulls Eye 123 primer and two coats of paint. The color you pick should be pulled from the counter so it relates. Be careful of undertones when selecting paints. Your kitchen looks very brown and beige so I wouldn’t add gray unless it’s also in the hard finishes. For walls check out BM Feather Down. (Get samples of whatever you’re considering and paint two coats on poster board leaving an inch or so around the edge. )It’s lighter than Manchester Tan. It has a faint green undertone and a touch of gray but it still leans closer to the light beige end of things and will freshen and lighten things up. My house has earthy finishes and colors like BM edgecomb gray and revere pewter look wrong with the hard finishes. Or you could go with a cream. It looks like your kitchen doesn't get a lot of streaming light in there and pale colors can end up looking dingy when that happens. I'd then move to slightly darker like BM Manchester Tan.

I’d add a rug or runner somewhere and a fabric roman shade st the window. You can even make a faux one if you’re not planning on raising and lowering. Sew and line fabric (I prefer blackout liner so you can see the fabric when light‘s behind.) and if you don’t want to sew the folds and all that grab three or four tension rods, slide one through rod pocket and fold the fabric over the other rods to make the folds. Looks great. For accent colors I think brighter rust reds or blues look good with browns but overall I wouldn’t go bright and clean with the colors and would lean more muted due to the earth tones of the kitchen.

Can you take a close up photo of the floor and counter?

ETA - Creams look at:

BM Ivory White

BM Mascarpone

Bm Spanish White

SW Dover White

SW Westhighland White

Use BM Chantilly Lace or SW 7006 Extra White as your control 'white' to compare all other 'whites' (blue white, true white, off-white, cream) so you can see the undertone.

• abb_ann
    5 years ago
    Replace backsplash and change hood to stainless or cover with reclaimed wood. Change knobs on cabinets.
  • Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Here is a kitchen with a tile under the hood that’s different from the backsplash. Maybe something you could do to brighten the space.

• Viktorija Tara
    5 years ago

I also would go with wall panels. Just started decorating my living room and I think I will add them to my kitchen as well, I saw some really nice ideas on the Pinterest. I added a picture of my living room and some ideas I saw on the internet. And the best thing that they give 10-year warranty! (at least the website I bought from)

• everdebz
    5 years ago

... to consider: Griffin Enright Architects: Island counter is stainless steel, and back counter is caesarstone. Open kitchen is supported by the closed part beyond/outside the photo.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Decorative natural pewter, zinc, black iron etc. ?

LakeandMountainHome: "Have you thought about zinc which gets better as it ages? Zinc naturally oxidizes over time, cleans up easily and it will be a bit more "family friendly" in terms of maintenance." Stainless steel looks good when kept polished. If you have kids this can be a tall order.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Sage Designs: the countertop is 3'-2" x 8'-2" / a one inch overhang on three sides and 13 inches for knee space. Island itself is 2' x 8'

https://www.houzz.com/photos/ridge-road-remodel-transitional-kitchen-phvw-vp~6778720

• RedRyder
    5 years ago
    Absolutely start shopping a new backsplash. Find a countertop that makes you happy and a solid complementary tile. Then rethink those narrow cabinets and possibly “dressing up” the hood with molding. Then paint the whole room.
    If you’re not out of money, reconsider the open triangle in the ceiling. Being happy with your kitchen when you’re in it is important and the granite/backsplash combination seem to be the problem. One thing at a time, then stop and revisit “what’s next”?