SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dillybeansown

Devastated by my garden “Oops”

Anyone else every done something dumb in the garden that you really wish you could undo? Lol.

I’m kicking myself here for my recent rather stupid mistake. I purchased some bare root clematis and phlox at the local Sam’s Club. They had just arrived, and I peeked in the boxes to make sure they were in good condition. Most of them had not broken dormancy, the roots were plump, and they were in excellent condition! And, of course, a steal of a price. I have been looking for ‘Laura’ phlox for a while, as well as Jackmani clematis. I also found ‘the President’ and ‘Rouge Cardinal’. I potted them up as soon as I got home, and set them outside to soak in the rain that was falling. We’ve been having a rather warm winter, and I was much less careful than I should’ve been. The next night, the temperature dropped to 10°. I’m not sure what I was thinking (well, I obviously wasn’t thinking at all), but I covered them with a sheet instead of bringing them inside. Woe is me! All of the phlox in pots were frozen beyond hope. I think that most of the clematis made it, but I won’t be sure until they start sending out growth. really hoping they did.

I did put two of the phlox in the ground, and they seem to be doing well, thank goodness. It just devastates me every time I think of the 11 that didn’t make it. I’m depressed. Lol!

Anyway, I just had to rant somewhere. :) Does anyone have any words of encouragement on the clematises? LOL. What are some stupid garden mistakes that you have made? I think this is my worst so far…

Comments (32)