SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gabby021

need help with living room layout

AN
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi All - I posted this question earlier but am now included a sketch with measurements so I hope that helps visualize the space a bit better. We have 11' ceilings in our space.

My husband and I have been living our purchased condo for 3 years with old furniture from past apartments that we are not attached to. Some of it works for now, some of it doesn't, but we do not need to keep any existing furniture we have now, including rugs, accessories, etc. It is just the two of us and our two cats, who probably dictate our style in some ways more than we do (sorry not sorry). Our fireplace is wood burning, and gets very hot, so we don't sit super close to it and only use it about 6 months each year. When we entertain, we usually have 2-4 people over. We've had a few dinner parties with 10 guests, but that's unusual for us. A lot of our friends will come over for games, movies, and just to hang out before/after going out to dinner somewhere else in the city.

We are primarily trying to pick out big pieces of furniture, as our existing sofa is only 72" and is way too small for our space. It looks silly and feels disconnected from the rest of the living room, even with the side chairs. We have found a few pieces of furniture that we really like (after years of looking around) that I'll list below.

Sofa: The sofa we've chosen comes in 3 sizes - 80, 90, and 100". I'm not quite sure which one to pick. My husband thinks we should choose the 100", I think maybe 90". New sofa is the same depth as the old sofa.

We haven't picked out a sofa table but think it would be useful to have one once we decide on the sofa.

Accent chairs: Thinking of wood, mid-century, with fabric, as a contrast to the leather sofa. Not sure if we need one or two, and how they'll fit in the space.

Ottoman: Thinking of doing a contrasting color ottoman instead of say, a chaise, for versatility and to double as table with a tray. We like the one below but are open to suggestions.

Other random ideas from my prior post: move books from off the one wall to area by windows, make this area the "library/gaming area". We may remove the doors from one set of closets closest to the front door to make a foyer/entry nook.

Sketch: that main door is our front door. each square is one foot.

sofa we like from R&B - available in 80, 90 and 100".

accent chairs we also like from r&b with a lightly patterned fabric. 29"w 35"d 26"h

leather ottoman in contrasting color 56w 24d 16

Thanks everyone and thanks to those who commented on the last post.

Comments (24)