ID China Piece?

annztoo

Couldn't find another forum to ask this question so thought I'd post here. I'm going thru old china I inherited from my MIL and am puzzled as to what this is. I've found candle holders that are similar but this one doesn't have the holder for a candle.

You think this is a candle holder?

Thanks!

SaveComment16Like
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kadefol

No idea what it is, but it almost looks like it has a built-in napkin ring.

Save    
joyfulguy

Candy dish?

o j

Save    
schoolhouse_gw

Yes, probably candy or perhaps a nut dish.

1 Like Save    
maddielee

If you post on the antiques forum there are knowledgeable people who will help you. pretty piece (looks like a candy dish to me too).

Gardenweb antiques forum

Save    
margaritadina

Small diameter plate with a finger holder/top handle is usually a lemon server but does not have to be just a lemon server - will perfectly fit as chocolates, creme puffs, etc, serving plate for a small gathering. Yours look like loved fine antique German or Prussian piece. But I am not an expert (just love antique china).

2 Likes Save    
Sammy

I’m thinking it’s a nappy plate by, perhaps, Lefton China?

Save    
marilyn_c

I think it is a cheese plate. I found one on Ebay but don't know how to post a link on my phone. Not to be confused with a cheese keeper that has a domed or otherwise tall cover.

Save    
annztoo

Thanks for all the suggestions. Maddie.....I should have considered the Antiques forum! Duh.....

Sammy, you're correct, it is by Lefton China. But what is a nappy plate? :)

Margarita, it definitely was loved and cared for, but I don't think it's an expensive piece. My MIL often hosted a Bridge group at her home and I'm sure she used this in some form.

Here's what I found on ebay that is similar.

Save    
Texas_Gem

I googled lemon server plate like margaritadina suggested and these are the image results.

I think she is right.

1 Like Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am so uneducated....what do you need a lemon server plate for? To squeeze lemon in tea? Sorry, don’t want to interrupt. Just very curious about this.

2 Likes Save    
annztoo

Texas_Gem, thanks for confirming it's a lemon plate. I wouldn't be surprised if MIL didn't use it for lemons, especially with all the iced tea she served there in the South. A big Thank You to everyone!

1 Like Save    
colleenoz

You can also serve lemons with fish.

Save    
maifleur01

From the look of the plate I think it is from the early 1960's or before. Very, very few women when they entertained their friends at gatherings would simply toss lemon slices or wedges onto a plate or into a bowl like many do today. My great aunt's very proper bridge club would have been horrified at the thought. There was probably some tongs that went with it.

Save    
socks

Why would a lemon plate need a handle?

Save    
schoolhouse_gw

Learn something every day.

Save    
annztoo

maifleur, you explained it perfectly. My MIL would have used it around the 1960's and it would have been used only during her bridge club meetings. I don't have any tongs but it's possible she used the small serving forks.

For those that are interested, here is some additional info I found. I finally learned what 'nappy' is. : )

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Furniture How to Organize and Style Your China Hutch
Whether you reserve your cabinet for your good china or stock it with everyday tableware, here are ideas for arranging it
Full Story
Decorating Guides 8 Inventive Ideas for Your Unused China
Is your dishware collection gathering dust at the back of your cupboard? Pull it out and let it shine with these eye-catching display ideas
Full Story
Colorful Kitchens Kitchen of the Week: Broken China Makes a Splash in This Kitchen
When life handed this homeowner a smashed plate, her designer delivered a one-of-a-kind wall covering to fit the cheerful new room
Full Story