Insect Apocalypse

jerzeegirl(9b)

It's probably too late for this world.

“It is very rapid. In 10 years you will have a quarter less, in 50 years only half left and in 100 years you will have none, If insect species losses cannot be halted, this will have catastrophic consequences for both the planet’s ecosystems and for the survival of mankind,”

Link

SaveComment23Like5
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lily613

I just read this on Huff post and it is terrifying. Since we were beekeepers and gave up because all the hives kept dying. Not so twenty-five years before when we started.

2 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

Yes, the bees were the first to go with the hive collapse disease. I have actually noticed a decrease in insects in my yard. The only ones still hanging on are some raggedy-ass mosquitoes.

1 Like Save    
miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)(8a)

Keep spraying those pesticides!

/Sarcasm/

4 Likes Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

Keep in mind that when we talk about bees, there are honey bees (from Europe) and then there are native bees. Both are extremely valuable in different ways and we need to make sure that mitigation strategies consider all kinds.

3 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn

I have noticed a big difference between my area and my mom's, only 15 miles difference, same suburban type neighborhood, although I do have a 30 acre nature area about 1 mile away.

I don't spray much for weeds and try and plant bushes and small trees and plants that would be beneficial for birds and bees. I do have a lot of "lawn weeds" My mom's grass is a perfect green mono culture of lawn grass, my dad used to have pride that he had clover in his lawn and was careful not to kill it. I have clover, creeping Charlie, just about every weed available. I've noticed a abundance of insects. I was going to take out a offending hard to control bush but noticed there was a whole universe of insect residing, from knats to dragonflies.

My mom had a spider living in one of her flowers (yellow house spider) that I was observing over a 2 month period. I would occasionally try to find bug to toss in it's web. It was then I noticed what difference her yard band mine was, her lack of insects was quite stunning. There is even a difference in the amount of birds. I grew up in that neighborhood and do not remember it being like that. My hypothesis is more affluent more lawn chemicals vs my less affluent less money spent on lawn care.

4 Likes Save    
rhoder551 zone 9b-10

This is more frightening then the so called illegals....

7 Likes Save    
dockside_gw

I don't know if anything meaningful can be done. Read a blurb this morning that we (the earth) is running out of sand as ocean sand is being dredged for concrete which is used for 80% of the world's buildings being built. This causes beach sand to slide into the oceans. Desert sand is too fine to use to make concrete. We have over-populated the earth and now are reaping the consequences.

Re the OP: We have a sour cherry tree, planted about 12 years ago. The last two years we got zilch in cherries (so few to pick that I let the birds have them). This happened even though the tree was covered in blossoms. Just no bees around to pollinate them.

2 Likes Save    
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I have for some years noticed a decrease in the amounts and varieties of insects, and a concomitant decrease in frogs, lizards and birds on our country property. Sadly I do believe that we are now beyond the point of no return, and even the most strenuous efforts at this time will only mitigate the disaster, not halt it. Of the hundreds of countries around the globe there will be relatively few that will take drastic action, and the uncontrolled population growth this planet is experiencing will negate even those efforts. Mankind (and more specifically that of the "progressive" industrialized West) is destroying itself, and unfortunately all of beautiful creation along with it.

2 Likes Save    
sheesh(5b)

I read the sand story too, dockside. Add to everything else the micro plastics in our waters. I'm afraid our planet doesn't stand a chance. I

Four billion years come to destruction in the 250 or so years of the industrial revolution.

4 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

I noticed a lot less bees a few years ago as well as almost no skipper butterflies. Even the wasps -- finding a home underneath my eaves -- are less.

I wonder if the drought landscaping is affecting the local insect population. Agaves don't offer much for the little critters. And the monoculture of giant bamboo -- a mania that has overtaken some areas. Keeps the gardeners busy.

Save    
batyabeth

but but but the green perfect sterile and monoculture lawn is the American way of life! It's what we fought for in all those wars!! And if the government should one day in it's wisdom say, "no more pesticides for homeowners' lawns - it's dooming the earth" we'll get to listen to the faithful (faithful what?) scream to the high heavens that the government is too intrusive!! Bugs? We don't want no stinkin' bugs! We want perfect lawns and it's our American RIGHT to have them!

3 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

I live in an area where people want perfect lawns and the community is on retention ponds which empty into creeks which eventually empty into the Gulf of Mexico. Is it any wonder that for over a year this area has been wracked by an outbreak of red tide that has decimated the tourist industry in the region. I find this to be ironic - what makes the area attractive is also the source of its downfall.

2 Likes Save    
terrene(5b MA)

I just read yet another article about this in the Guardian. People don't generally like bugs, but they are a critical link in the food chain and provide food for many species, as well as performing critical ecosystem services for humans.

The extinction of insect species is particularly distressing to me because I am quite fond of insects. After raising Monarch and Swallowtail butterflies for 11 years, and gardening for the pollinators for longer, I have developed a fasincation for all insects and not just the beautiful ones that everyone loves (i.e. butterflies).

I do have a lot of insects in the yard, but it doesn't look like the typical sterile suburban yard, andis a wildlife habitat and Monarch waystation. I grow many native plants, and it is purposely somewhat messy in the back, with dead stalks and seedheads left standing, leaf litter is left where it falls, and compost, stumps and brush piles lay about.

The insects love it, and so do the bird(as well as other critters). On occasion this winter, I have watched dozens of Robins, hopping throughout leaf litter in the yard, flipping leaves and looking for berries/fruits/insects to munch (we haven't had much snow this winter).

4 Likes Save    
cecily 7A

@Terrene : robins have hung around all winter here eating suet along with the bluebirds. I'm wondering if migratory patterns are shifting with climate change. Sorry for the digression.

1 Like Save    
terrene(5b MA)

Robins (as well as Bluebirds) are considered "partially migratory", in that they migrate as necessary to find food sources. Since they feed on the ground, as well as eat berries and fruits, some will stay up north if the snow cover is sparse. If the snow cover is deep, then they tend to migrate to areas that have little or no snow cover.

5 Likes Save    
margaritadina

I read this article few months ago (it's not the first time publication) and I realized that even few years ago the front bumper of my car was covered with dead bugs from driving on the beltway - now it's almost none.

There are 80% less birds' nests on my very wild life respecting and pesticide- free back yard, and in the shrubs and small trees on the front loan. The owl family moved away (hopefully they are alive), I don't hear the wood peckers any more, I see a lot less bats in the evening. I have fewer butterflies and bees but plenty of ticks and mosquitoes.

I believe this article is true. Trump assigned plenty of $$$$ to save oceans, now we need to save bugs. We need them more then they need us.

2 Likes Save    
cait1

Why doesn't the OP article mention EMFs?

Technology is quite literally destroying nature, with a new report further confirming that electromagnetic radiation from power lines and cell towers can disorientate birds and insects and destroy plant health. The paper warns that as nations switch to 5G this threat could increase.

In the new analysis, EKLIPSE, an EU-funded review body dedicated to policy that may impact biodiversity and the ecosystem, looked over 97 studies on how electromagnetic radiation may affect the environment. It concluded this radiation could indeed pose a potential risk to bird and insect orientation and plant health, The Telegraph reported.

This is not a new finding, as studies dating back for years have come to the same conclusion. In fact, one study from 2010 even suggested that this electromagnetic radiation may be playing a role in the decline of certain animal and insect populations. The radio waves can disrupt the magnetic “compass” that many migrating birds and insects use. The creatures may become disorientated, AFP reported.

https://www.newsweek.com/migratory-birds-bee-navigation-5g-technology-electromagnetic-radiation-934830

2 Likes Save    
elvis

I think my yard is beautiful. We use no chemicals, none. We encourage bats because the insects are so...bountiful. As lindsey said...

The lawn is green because it's made up of plants, all kinds of plants. Any grass in there is natural. It's not too late to make a difference, just try. Educate your neighborhood, if you live near other people.

Plant things bugs like.

And they will come.

10 Likes Save    
studio10001

I wish that were true here. I have not seen a bat or butterfly in three years. I have milkweed every where it will take hold, but nothing has come of that so far. I let half the property revert to meadow, so maybe that will slow things down a bit, but in this area we are experiencing large numbers of dying trees due to weather extremes, so there is more dry land overall, now.

I remember reading that President Carter first tried to address conservation back in the seventies. He walked the walk, putting solar panels on the White House. A few years later, Reagan essentially called it silly and tore them all off. Now, fifty years later, we can't come up with any policy at all, unless you count Cortez' ideas. I don't think the Green Dream is going anywhere, but I also think she is more truthful about the urgency of this than most in DC. When the cost of food becomes prohibitive, or fruit becomes unavailable, voters will demand action, but I have no faith in the outcome.

Your yard IS beautiful, by the way. :)

8 Likes Save    
Chi

It's very sad. I see dead bees everywhere but rarely see living ones anymore. There was one on my walkway today and I gave it some sugar water in hopes of perking it up but it was dead.

One thing we have plenty of is ants. I am constantly battling them in my kitchen. I'm convinced my house is on a giant ant hill.

1 Like Save    
elvis

I'm sorry for what's happening in other necks of the woods. People just don't think.

1 Like Save    
palisades_

When people use lots of insecticides and fungicides, especially the synthetic products, beneficial insects, earthworms, birds, bees, toads, bats populations are adversely affected. Not to mention blood cancers are more prevalent among those who use the chemicals. I have learnt to garden naturally by selecting disease resistant plants and flowers, and let the birds and the bees take care the rest. My only complaint is the Japanese Beatles that I have to hand pick them off the roses. Nature is in balance here with lots of birds, spiders, bees, butterflies. On a larger scale, I wonder if the agriculture industry continue to practice the green growing method with less chemical uses on their crops. I also think radio magnetic radiation from cell phone towers can send confuse signal to insects and and birds when they use them to navigate, migrate, and find food.

1 Like Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

We are in a major extinction event. Bats, snakes, and amphibians are going locally extinct because of diseases. A plague has eradicated native crayfish from Europe.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Books Springtime Gardening: Begin by Listening to Trees
A biologist and author shows how open senses and lively curiosity can guide our work in the landscape and garden
Full Story
Housekeeping 10 Decluttering Projects You Can Do in 15 Minutes or Less
Try these ideas to get organized at home one small step at a time
Full Story
California Gardening Consider Avoiding These Plants to Help Keep Your Garden Fire-Safe
Plants that accumulate dead material, are high in oil or have low moisture content in leaves put some homes at risk
Full Story
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More