Outing as a political tactic- When did this become OK?

Carro

Wondering how emotional blackmail, extortion and homophobic shaming became accepted by the LGBT community and left-leaning Twitter force? From Joy Reid to Chelsea Handler and now even The Blade.

DC paper slaps Lindsey Graham’s photo on most eligible LGBT singles article

The article goes on to say:

" Emblazoned in bold letters across Graham’s forehead was the title, “Meet D.C.’s Most Eligible LGBT Singles.”

Pushing the envelope, a sub-headline read, “Sen. Lindsey Graham didn’t quite make the cut.”

Never mind that this was all very misleading, as mentioned before, Graham appears nowhere in the article, the subtle message was delivered.

The paper included Graham in a different piece, published on Saturday — titled, “Is It Homophobic To Speculate About A Politician’s Sexuality?”

The article discusses whether or not it’s ethical to “out” politicians, with author James Wellemeyer seemingly implying that if the individual has “done no harm” to the LGBT community, outing them is not advisable."

So, to be clear, if a prominent, public figure complies with the LGBT agenda and does "no harm", they'll leave you alone. If a public figure say, doesn't go subscribe to all the tenets and agendas, it's game on?

This reminds me of how seriously we were told to take this kind of bullying when Princeton student, Tyler Clementi, committed suicide shortly after his roommate outed him.

Is it gay bashing when gay people are doing the harassing, outing and bullying?

SaveComment25Like1
Comments (25)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mayflowers

Dirty politics goes back to Lee Atwater and Karl Rove. It's called Rovian politics for a reason. A good example is Rove's smear of John McClain's "black" daughter during the 2000 primary.

https://www.thenation.com/article/dirty-tricks-south-carolina-and-john-mccain/

7 Likes Save    
GOD

You didn't seem to understand the article Carro.

It was a photo and headline to attract buyers. Fox does it all the time, as you know.

2 Likes Save    
Pidge_

It's not okay, Carro, it's slime ball gossip. I don't know why anyone would pay attention to such stuff.

3 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)(8a)

No, never ok. Not now, not ever, no matter who did it first or who is doing the outting.

5 Likes Save    
Carro

I think it's clear that Blaze is calling out Graham. Excuse the pun. It matters not that the article doesn't highlight Graham as being one of the most eligible.

I don't understand wanting to use someone's sexuality against them, especially as a means of coercion or punishment.

With great power comes great responsibility, and all that.

1 Like Save    
GOD

you must have been ticked Carro, when trump mocked Graham's sexuality. Were you?

6 Likes Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

I'm missing a piece of the puzzle. So it's insulting to call someone gay? How can you use this ploy "against them" unless it's slander to do so? I never knew it was something about which one was to be ashamed.

12 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

I never knew when it was anyone's business to make a headline about someone's sexuality, especially when it is conjecture.

It is quite obvious that the publication thought it to be a damaging story, thus the publication is prejudiced against gays.

2 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Boy, is this old news.

Mike Rogers of Raw Story was going to do this back when GWB was president. He never did publicly "out" him, but perhaps there was no need after the announcement put the idea in circulation.

The theory was that closeted gays who took actions (Senate votes in Lindsey's case) against the gay community deserved to be outed.

I think that it's mostly common knowledge about Graham today.

It's rough and tumble politics, 21st century style -- especially since the GOP has problems accepting gays.

3 Likes Save    
redsox_gw

This was how Laura Ingraham earned her stripes. No RWers on this site came out against her doing so on this forum. I don't care how old she was either: evil is evil.

3 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Punching up is vastly different than punching down.

Lawmakers and others of authority who have campaigned, lobbied, legislated or spoken against homosexuality, all the while secretly doing the very thing they decry, most certainly are asking to be outed. "Rules are for thee, not me" behavior deserves to be revealed.

There is a big difference between a private citizen with no power over anybody, and someone in a public position who has power over many.

5 Likes Save    
MissMyGardens

"This was how Laura Ingraham earned her stripes."

She dated Graham during the Clinton impeachment in late 90s. Graham was one of the House floor managers. I remember seeing the photos at the time.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/throwback-thursday-lindsey-graham-and-laura-ingraham-used-to-date/

I can understand the consternation, frustration and anger engendered when closeted politicians vote in ways that are considered restricting rights of LGBT people. They're tired of being targeted by politicians calling them names and voting against their rights.

While I can understand those feelings I don't condone outing by anyone. People live their lives the way they choose but if they're closeted I'd expect them to at least be silent when it comes to the rights of others who are out. So hypocritical to speak and vote against people no different than yourself so just stay silent and not make their lives worse while you live as you choose for personal and/or political reasons.

Have no idea about Graham and don't even care to speculate. It's not my business nor in my mind when I hear someone expressing their beliefs or ideas. I don't care what/who they are as long as they don't hurt others or act to restrict their rights.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Your Spartacus has been questioned too. I guess when a man gets to a certain age, has certain mannerisms, and isn’t seen with a woman on his arm some people may wonder. I’m kind of “who cares” about gayness so I say who cares.

7 Likes Save    
Pidge_

^^^ My belief exactly. I don't care, either, except to say that I want my gay friends and relatives to be respected no matter their sexual identities.

11 Likes Save    

Yes Pidge, me too. And I want them to be able to make that announcement when and how they choose, even if they never do.

As far as hypocrisy in voting trends, that's hardly limited to (allegedly) closeted gays.

2 Likes Save    
bry911

So is hypocrisy a viable criticism for politicians at all? If not fine, but if so then why is this particular bit of hypocrisy sacrosanct?

1 Like Save    

I see your point bry.

I think this particular bit of hypocrisy is sacrosanct because NO ONE KNOWS the truth about someone else's sexuality unless they declare it. And because there are a lot of personal and social repurcussions to coming out, no one has the privilege to do that except the person in question. It's their news to share.

If he never said he's gay no one has the right to say it for him. And we can't presume that he is acting hypocritically based on an assumption of his sexuality.

2 Likes Save    
artemis_ma

Another news source to toss in the DNR file.

Do not Read. Do not Resuscitate. Take your pick.

Save    

"I never knew it was something about which one was to be ashamed."

Really? If that is true, why are gay rights so important? Why even have a discussion around homosexuality? I don't believe you are under 14 so I don't believe you believe this.

OF COURSE people have been made to feel ashamed of being gay. If they hadn't there would be no such thing as closeted homosexuality.

That's not to say they need to feel ashamed, or that it's moral to withhold rights from gay people. Those things aren't ok.

But the truth is some gay men especially of older generations are ashamed. They are feeling self-loathing and homophobia. Outting them ( especially in a critical or frivolous way) doesn't make them love themselves more and it actually doesn't make young LGBTQ+ people feel safe in their identity either.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Indeed. And what if you belong to a party that kowtows to the religious right, which is openly hostile to gay rights, and gay people in general?

And Senator Booker has been on the side of more rights for marginalized citizens, not fewer...

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Time for the dictionary again:

Was his homosexuality exposed? No. They simply used existing rumors/speculation for their own purpose. In questionable taste perhaps. Exposure would require evidence.

Save    
loonlakelaborcamp(3 A/B)

Carro, it's not the Blaze. It is the Blade.

Save    
elvis

Is it gay bashing when gay people are doing the harassing, outing and bullying?

Of course!

Is it fat-shaming when fat people do it?

Save    
Jenn Dinosaur-Mom(5)

There are people who go on social media to attack children and teens who are transgender, there are people who would like nothing more than to end marriage between LGBTQ persons (who are of adult age and consenting), and really this country needs LESS bullying going on, less encouraging of attacks on people who look/act/love someone that another person doesn't want them to have a right to look/act/love like...

The world hunger for 'red meat' isn't doing anything good for society, it's turning us into a pack of savage animals. We're going to run out of 'red meat' at some point, what happens to humanity then?

3 Likes Save    
elvis

Brava, Jenn.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Pets The Polite House: When the Neighbor’s Dog Meets Your Landscape
How do you navigate those difficult conversations when you don’t want people’s dogs doing their business on your plants and lawn?
Full Story
Entertaining The Polite House: How to Set Limits With Overnight Houseguests
Part 1: Establish boundaries with visitors who want to stay too long and who expect too much
Full Story
The Polite House The Polite House: How to Handle a Grievance With a Neighbor and an HOA
A condo resident complains about noise from a toddler out with her mom on a 7 a.m. dog walk. Does the mother have any recourse?
Full Story