This is America

d_gw

This is song/video was discussed here when it was released last spring. It won numerous Grammys last night, including song of the year.

Politically, the song is important because of the messages about gun violence, popular culture and race. The video has 483,000,000 views. The messages obviously resonate.

If there is a politician who can harness even a small part of the enthusiasm for the song's messages, well, watch out.

SaveComment17Like5
Comments (17)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunflower_petal(5a)

Congratulations, Donald Glover!

Save    
cattyles

Yes! And thank you Cookie for bringing the video to HT for discussion when it came out.

1 Like Save    
Cookie8

Sure. I really enjoyed it too.

I have to be honest when I say, it probably gets played a lot but it is just a bunch of people just dancing to the great beat of the song and not even thinking about it (meaning) anymore:(. I must try to be more positive. Well, we are talking about it again so that's good!

2 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Powerful!

Save    
d_gw

There is some swearing in this video but it is interesting because it shows kids from different backgrounds reacting to the video. They definitely like the beat but their reactions and comments are insightful.

Like I said, if a politician can tap into this, watch out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtpqdJkoKm8

Save    
cait1

So whose life was he writing about? Seems he had a pretty good one. Father had a steady govt job, they must have had a nice home because his parents fostered children, Gambino went to college and got a job straight out of it writing for 30 Rock and he's worth $12million.

He's selling propaganda and seems a lot of people are buying it. Good for him, but I aint fooled.

2 Likes Save    
margievank

Nothing like profiting off the backs of people. Sending them a message while you still choose to live in America. I ain't fooled either cait1.

2 Likes Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

"Gambino went to college"

Gambino is not his real name, I believe.

" So whose life was he writing about? "

Over the years, many artists have written, painted, and crafted songs about situations that do not relate to their own. They are elevating the voices and plight of those who do not have a powerful voice.

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Hate, violence, opportunity, identity politics, profanity, manipulation of moronic masses=CAPITALISM and $.

Nothing special, just making money off of people and violence.

1 Like Save    
judeNY_gw

And that's only good when the cult leader does it.

7 Likes Save    
mayflowers

You don't understand the video, cait. He was writing about ALL our lives. ANYONE can be a victim of gun violence. It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor, black or white, educated or uneducated. Guns don't discriminate. Do you think those 37,000 deaths in the US were of poor, uneducated blacks?

Look at the countries we're ranked at the top with.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/theres-a-new-global-ranking-of-gun-deaths-heres-where-the-u-s-stands

1 Like Save    
dandyfopp

Well deserved.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

As usual, the reactions coming from our far right conservative members are predictably, dependably showing everyone their prejudice and bias - not to mention cluelessness.

2 Likes Save    
purr mich 7_

Yep.

Great video and powerful message.

1 Like Save    
cattyles

Dandy, you look different without your hat. I almost didn’t recognize you.

2 Likes Save    
roxsol

Dandy, you look different without your hat. I almost didn’t recognize you.

Still gallant in either avatar :)

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

Love the graph! Notice anything else the countries have in common?

The Dems insist people from those crime ridden countries deserve asylum, and we should have a CAP on how many CRIMINALS that ICE is allowed to keep away from our general population. No matter how many show up, all deserve a hearing, despite the fact that 90% or more are NOT eligible.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Shop Houzz Shop Houzz: Decorating With America’s Top Dog
By Houzz
Bring the fun-loving nature of retrievers into your home with inspired decor
See Products
Life Get a Bird's-Eye View of America's Housing Patterns
See the big picture of how suburban developments are changing the country's landscape, with aerial photos and ideas for the future
Full Story
Shop Houzz Shop Houzz: Furnishings Made in America
By Houzz
Show pride of country with American-made items for every room
See Products