Amy Klobuchar is in...

jerzeegirl(9b)

She is standing at a podium as it snows, giving a quite wonderful speech.

SaveComment85Like2
Comments (85)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elvis

Amy, come on down! The more the merrier.

Looks like she's having the same weather we are. Just wait till tomorrow, even more snow.

Save    
cattyles

It is a wonderful speech. She’s a solid candidate as far as I’m concerned.

6 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

I agree. This speech is a home run.

3 Likes Save    
chase_gw

Fabulous speech !!!! Best yet ! ...and she can win the Midwest in a heart beat in a general but she ha to get through the primaries.

Most impressed wth her.

1 Like Save    
mayflowers

I've been watching her and reading about her since the Kavanaugh hearings and am excited she decided to run.

3 Likes Save    
althea_gw

I always vote for Amy and see no reason to not do so again. That was a good speech and an iconic setting.

2 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

Interesting analysis on MSNBC. They are saying that because she is a centrist that she could pick off republican votes. Now, to me, she seemed more progressive than centrist, but that probably because we have gone so far right that the center seems far left now!

1 Like Save    
Becca Reese

Such a bucolic photo. It belies her nasty, abusive nature to her staff. Did she throw any binders from the podium?

Save    
Lily613

We have so many fabulous candidates it will be a win-win with any of them.

3 Likes Save    
althea_gw

I like this quote from her speech:

Jerzee, she is considered "moderate".

5 Likes Save    
cattyles

Lily is right. I’m proud of our Dems that have thrown their hat in so far. I would be delighted for any of them to win!

1 Like Save    
chijim

This is simmering out there...

The Boss

Stories like this one about bad women bosses
are always going to get some pushback asking why a woman senator is
being singled out for bad boss behavior which is thought to be common
from her male colleagues. There's no way to know how much perceived bad
boss behavior is due to people just reacting differently to a woman
boss. And I don't claim to know.

But Klobuchar being a bad boss is one of those "everybody knows" things
in DC. I haven't been in DC in years and even I "know" it. Klobuchar
has a reputation for being a bad boss over and above normal "of course
most senators are a$*holes" behavior. And, for what it's worth, I've
heard this about Klobuchar specifically. I've never heard it about any
other Dem women in Congress. I suspect (I have no idea!) Claire
McCaskill (for example) wasn't always pure sunshine, but I never heard
bad boss stories about her.

The joke I heard:

Amy Klobuchar is a very likable and popular senator from
Minnesota. She wins re-election with 70% of the vote there. The other
30% have worked for her.
by
Atrios
at
11:04

523 Comments

1 Like Save    
althea_gw

Chijim, that article about her being a mean boss isn't convincing or even interesting. It is based on anonymous alleged disgruntled former employees who present no evidence, like a copy of a "nasty memo".

I think an opposition research file on Amy would be remarkable for it's brevity.

1 Like Save    
heri cles

Meanwhile, chRump trying to think of a derogatory name that rhymes with Amy.

3 Likes Save    
elvis

Becca Reese

Such a bucolic photo. It belies her nasty, abusive nature to her staff. Did she throw any binders from the podium?

Yes, there is that...

Klobuchar's opening pitch sidetracked by staff horror stories

The run-up to Klobuchar’s expected presidential campaign launch on Sunday was sidetracked by former aides, speaking anonymously for fear of retribution, who described a toxic office environment including demeaning emails, thrown office supplies and requests for staff to perform personal chores for the senator. It’s a sharp departure from the public brand that Klobuchar has built to get to this moment: a pragmatic, aw-shucks Minnesotan who gets things done and wins her state by landslide margins.

https://www.politico.com/staff/elena-schneider

Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

Why don't you worry about your own candidate?

7 Likes Save    
Becca Reese

Yeah, why don't we just ignore Klobuchar abusing her staff. Who cares, right?

The Trump haters go on and on about his temperament, but we're supposed to ignore her staff being verbally and emotionally abused.

Save    
chijim

althea_gw

Chijim,
that article about her being a mean boss isn't convincing or even
interesting. It is based on anonymous alleged disgruntled former
employees who present no evidence, like a copy of a "nasty memo".

I think an opposition research file on Amy would be remarkable for it's brevity.

For the record, I've always liked Amy whenever she's been on Rachel's show or others - but is this something that will come back to bite her?

Just preparing if there is a there there...

MinnesotaSen. Amy Klobuchar’s mistreatment of her office staff began more than a decade ago and eventually caused such concerns that in 2015, then-Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) spoke to her privately and told her to change her behavior, multiple sources have confirmed to HuffPost.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/amy-klobuchar-mistreat-staff-harry-reid_us_5c5db1ece4b03afe8d674530

Save    
barncatz

I live in western WI and am watching the snow fly. It is cold! Remember when Trump wouldn't go to the WWI cemetary because it was raining?

ETA: one thing I liked in her speech was her acknowledgment that Washington is part of the problem. Michael Bennett hit on that too, in his border wall floor speech. Trump wasn't wrong about that. He's just such a grifter he can't drain any swamp.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

Polly want a cracker?

Save    
cattyles

Watch hilarity ensue as trump apologists make their false equivalencies.

5 Likes Save    
mayflowers

I read the hit-piece Huffpost did on Amy and my take-away is it was a nothingburger. Which made me wonder why they published it. The only thing I could think of is she's not progressive enough for Huffpost and they want a different candidate. It smelled like something Fox or Breitbart would do.

Of course the trump supporters rushed in with it as that's the trumpian way. It's too much effort to write a criticism of her policies and platform so let's nitpick something else. It was so expected it's almost comical.

6 Likes Save    
paprikash

The liberals have invented nitpicking and it’s not almost comical — it is definitely comical.

(In response to mayflowers post: “Of course the trump supporters rushed in with it as that's the trumpian way. It's too much effort to write a criticism of her policies and platform so let's nitpick something else. It was so expected it's almost comical.”

thought I should add the post I replied to before it goes poof)

Save    
barncatz

Yeah, I figured Klobuchar must be considered formidable when this story hit and when I saw her speech, I could see why.

3 Likes Save    
mayflowers

Thanks for saving my post in case one of the flying monkeys poofs it, pap.

She's known for her bipartisanship. Trump supporters don't want that as much as they claim they want Dems to work across the aisle. It only goes in one direction for trump and his supporters.

2 Likes Save    
jean_mi_z5

He shows his ignorance every time he tweets or opens his mouth

Donald J. Trump

Verified account

@realDonaldTrump

Following Following @realDonaldTrump

More

Well, it happened again. Amy Klobuchar announced that she is running for President, talking proudly of fighting global warming while standing in a virtual blizzard of snow, ice and freezing temperatures. Bad timing. By the end of her speech she looked like a Snowman(woman)!

3 Likes Save    
dockside_gw

I beg to differ. I believe what her staffers say and it sounds just like how Trump operates. She may appear ideal in public, but who wants more chaos in the WH after Trump leaves?

Anytime you have a lot of turnover in your office/company, look to the bosses. There is a company in Wisconsin, just over the St. Croix River from Minnesota that, when I lived in Minnesota, had a great reputation for treating its employees. It was next to impossible to get a job there as there was very little turnover.

On the other hand, I once worked in an office where the boss was underhanded and very difficult. I lasted not quite three years before I left. That had to have been a record because everyone else in that three years left in less than a year. And, I had worked in many offices before that where the bosses were reasonable and employees didn't leave because of the bad work environment.

Throwing binders when one is upset, criticizing employees in front of their colleagues, expecting them to do personal work for you (remember Pruitt?), isn't what a good boss does.

I hope she loses. We don't deserve more chaos.

1 Like Save    
althea_gw

Chijim, being on Rachels show is far worse, imo. We'll see. The whole difficult boss meme smacks of sexism too much to give it more than a passing acknowledgement.

1 Like Save    
cattyles

I bet someone asks her about it soon. And hopefully her accusers will say their piece and she can respond. Honestly, in the present atmosphere, if I had ever burped without saying “excuse me”, I would not run.

7 Likes Save    
barncatz

dockside_gw, I don't disagree with your reservations, after seeing the turnover rate. Thought the timing was odd.

Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

I'm a big fan of Amy Klobuchar for many reasons.

My claim to fame. Her mother was a English teacher at my High School. I enjoyed the few semesters classes I had with her for literature. She even had me interested and was not my favorite subject in High School. She engaged all her students not just the top students. Her daughter Amy seems just as engaging.

Amy looks like her mom but darker hair from her dad. I remember reading Amy's dad's column in the Star Tribune knowing he was my teachers husband.

--now this is weird. Biographys says Amy's mom taught grade school, but I know it was her. Maybe she taught high school for a short time. Amy grew up in neighboring suburb to my High School, I know people who lived on same street she grew up on. I'll have to get my old yearbook with her mom's picture. And I knew that her mom and dad divorced while I was in HS. He was ,I heard, a mean drunk.

4 Likes Save    
catticusmockingbird

I've been watching her and reading about her since the Kavanaugh hearings

Mayflowers, same here. I told dh back then I'd love to see her run.

1 Like Save    
catticusmockingbird

For the record, I've always liked Amy whenever she's been on Rachel's show or others - but is this something that will come back to bite her?

Smells of sexism. Would this even be an issue if she were a man?

Btw, she'll be on Rachel tomorrow night.

Save    
Stan Areted

I don't see it.

Doesn't have a ring to it.

Save    
dockside_gw

I don't think it is sexism. Throwing things at your employees (evidently she didn't intend to hit anyone, just threw the binder) and all the other things that I have read about her - which were talked about long before talk of her running for president - are not acceptable behaviors for women or for men.

And, logically, the people making these accusations don't want their names revealed for fear of retribution, death threats, etc. It's really horrific what social media has brought about in people's behaviors.

I remember her dad from his columns which I liked. However, growing up in a family with an alcoholic parent (I know too many friends and relatives that have had difficult childhoods and adult lives because of this) could very well have taught her the wrong way to deal with people when they differ from what you expect of them.

DH was ready to jump on the bandwagon but now is re-evaluating how he feels about her. And he is no sexist. And, I am not sexist. I'd would be complaining just as loudly if this came out about any male candidate, Democrat or Republican.

2 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Meg Whitman had similar -- and worse -- accusations when she was running against Jerry Brown for governor.

I remember the usual suspects excusing the behavior due to her stressful position, many responsibilities.

Whitman was damaged more by employing an undocumented household worker.

Save    
elvis

Some staffers have claimed that sexism has clouded the controversy around Klobuchar’s reputation. “Women shouldn’t be expected to nurture their employees or colleagues more than men, and they should be no less entitled to challenge them,” said Asal Sayas, a staffer that Klobuchar’s office forwarded to BuzzFeed News. But others considered the criticism well-founded. “I knew her reputation going in, and I rationalized it, because I thought that was what was going on — I thought people were saying that because she was a woman,” a former staffer told BuzzFeed News. “I regret that now.” Another former aide said that “I don’t think this is one of those situations” that can be attributed to sexism. “If it were a man doing these things, that story should be written.” Either way, the growing allegations may not be great for the 2020 ambitions of the Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor leader — the third word of the state party being the operative one.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/02/report-klobuchars-staff-mistreatment-goes-back-a-decade.html

Save    
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I quite liked and admired Ms. Klobuchar and am distressed to learn that the allegations against her seem to be more than just sour grapes from disgruntled former employees. If they are true, and I am waiting to hear more about this, it would disqualify her in my mind. Nasty behavior to people who work for you says something very fundamentally negative about someone's character.

2 Likes Save    
mayflowers

Amy is well-liked by her GOP colleagues. Is that a bad thing? Politico interviewed several of them. I wish they'd interviewed the Dems too.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/11/klobuchar-president-republicans-1159345

Save    
althea_gw

Hey Izzy, do you remember hearing any reports about her management style during any of her 3 runs for Senate? I don't, but I didn't follow the campaign closely enough to claim I should have known.

If these reports are true and some find consequential, it sounds like she brought the standards and pressures associated with working at a top law firms where she spent the first 13 years of her career to public service. If that is the case, it is learned behavior, not an inherent character flaw. She just needs to learn new ways to approach problem solving.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/02/10/amy-klobuchar-timeline

Save    
Lily613

Zing...Amy got tRump today in reply to his tweet about global warming and calling her a snow woman. She said she doubted his hair could have withstood the blizzard...lol. Good for her. They all need to reply to his tweets with an equal nasty zinger.

2 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

It we start eliminating candidates because of the "skeletons" in their closets, we will have to nominate a new born for president. Why don't republicans have these qualms? Sexual assault? No problem! Self dealing? No problem. Consorting with the enemy? Come on down.

Really...folks.

7 Likes Save    
chijim

catticusmockingbird

For
the record, I've always liked Amy whenever she's been on Rachel's show
or others - but is this something that will come back to bite her?

Smells of sexism. Would this even be an issue if she were a man?

Btw, she'll be on Rachel tomorrow night.

Having allegedly bad mgmt style? Yes, I do believe it would be an issue for any candidate if it was alleged esp after Trump.

Now that said, as for the sexism - there are what, 5 women running - allegedly mistreating their staff is not being said of the other 4

Tell me, if you had 5 African-American people running for office and an allegation came out again against one of them....would that smell of racism

Edited for clarity.

1 Like Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

Temperament matters to me, especially for the position of president. There is a difference between being driven and pushing your staff, and being abusive. Indications are, from the extremely high turnover rate, that Klobuchar crosses the line into the latter. Man, woman, it does not matter. Unacceptable behavior is just that.

I also am not excited about her red state appeal. Being a Republicanish Democrat in a red state works out, because they are more closely aligned to their constituents. But I don't want anything resembling a Republican in the top slots of White House after the next election.

ETA: Top-down readers might miss my clarification post, so adding here. Sorry about any confusion.

I meant Democrats running for state positions in red states. And with Klobuchar, I was referring to her claimed strength with red states while she runs nationally, even though she is senator from a blue state.

3 Likes Save    
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

gyr_falcon, I completely agree, and the high turnover rate also worries me. It's disingenuous to imply that concern about how she treats her staff smacks of sexism. It's an important issue to me that has nothing to do with gender, but rather with a person's humanity and respect for people who are in some degree under someone's power. Yes, it's worrisome in a president or, for that matter, in anyone.

6 Likes Save    
althea_gw

"I also am not excited about her red state appeal. Being a Republicanish Democrat in a red state works out, because they are more closely aligned to their constituents."

gyr_falcon, MN is a blue state and has been for a long time. Our 2016 caucus results went for Bernie with over 60% of the vote, so we have a strong progressive movement. The presidential election vote went to HRC.

1 Like Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

althea, sorry, I should have written that clearer and added some sentences separating the state races vs national. I wasn't referring to MN specifically with that second part; thinking Beto in red Texas, and along those lines for states races. Klobuchar got thrown in on those thoughts because she has touted herself as having Midwest/red state understanding and appeal, and I was thinking nationally for her since her race is national.

Save    
althea_gw

No problem gym_falcon. I read your post 3 times before commenting because I didn't think you meant it to read how it sounds. I thought I should clarify anyway.

One of the reasons she is so popular here with both dems & repubs is because for over a year she was the only Senator. Franken was tied up in a recount then, when he won his opponent filed lawsuit after lawsuit to keep him out of office as long as possible. So Amys office took on the work of 2 Senators during that time. People all over came to know her as someone they could depend on. Her multi-party popularity isn't strictly because of her political positions.

1 Like Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

Thanks for filling me in on that, althea. I was going only by what she had said during some of the interviews, and that never was brought up.

1 Like Save    
miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)(8a)

It was mentioned that a senator spoke to her about her behaviour in 2015. Has it changed since then? Did the "come to Jesus" talk work?

Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

Thank you althea for clarifying that MN is a blue state. It was progressive when I lived and I know there were a few strange blips but I can't image MN as anything but blue!

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Believe the survivors!

Amy Klobuchar, latest presidential candidate, faces questions about temperament, treatment of staff

Alexander Nazaryan

National Correspondent,

Yahoo News•February 11, 2019

https://news.yahoo.com/amy-klobuchar-newest-presidential-candidate-faces-questions-temperament-treatment-staff-165813668.html

But conversations with more than a dozen current and former staffers lead to a more complex portrait, one that is significantly at odds with the image of “Midwestern nice” that has coalesced around Klobuchar in recent months. While some of those who worked for her remain ferociously supportive of the senior senator from Minnesota, others allege that her record of mistreating and even abusing staff makes her as unfit for office as the man she is trying to replace.

A number of former staffers — both male and female — describe a workplace environment governed by fear and dread, one in which Klobuchar treated her Capitol Hill staffers with cruelty and humiliation, while fixating on seemingly minor issues. A minor mistake in an internal document, for example, could lead to a “multi-day affair,” one former staffer said. Like other Klobuchar alumni, she described haranguing late-night phone calls and critical emails written in all caps, sometimes sent in quick succession.

The former staffer said that Klobuchar “has fully earned reputation” as an exceptionally difficult boss “independent of her gender.” She added that, given the behavior that she witnessed from Klobuchar, she could not vote for her in the Democratic primary, in which the senator is expected to portray herself as a sensible Midwestern progressive who can win over independent voters.

“The way she treats staff is disqualifying,” the former staffer said.

Klobuchar has one of the highest rates of staff turnover in Congress, according to congressional research site LegiStorm. Last year, that led to Politico calling her one of “the worst bosses” in Congress. And though Klobuchar’s alleged mistreatment has been an open secret in Washington for years, it had also gone largely unmentioned in press reports. That changed last week, when HuffPost — which, like Yahoo News, is part of Verizon Media — published a report that said that Klobuchar’s reputation had hindered her in hiring a campaign manager.

2020 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION FEB. 8, 2019

Senator Klobuchar’s Staff Mistreatment Reportedly Goes Back a Decade, Includes Throwing Binders

By Matt Stiebhttp://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/02/report-klobuchars-staff-mistreatment-goes-back-a-decade.html

REPORT: Dem 2020 Hopeful Amy Klobuchar Losing Staff Over 'Bursts Of Cruelty'

By EMILY ZANOTTI . February 7, 2019 @EMZANOTTI

https://www.dailywire.com/news/43203/report-dem-2020-hopeful-amy-klobuchar-losing-staff-emily-zanotti

POLITICS

02/10/2019 04:26 pm ET Updated 1 day ago

Amy Klobuchar Responds To Reports Of Mistreating Staff: ‘I Can Be Tough’

At least three people withdrew from consideration to lead her presidential bid, in part because of her behavior as a boss.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/amy-klobuchar-responds-staff-reports_us_5c5f9dcae4b0eec79b241d0e

1 Like Save    
heri cles

What makes Kloubchar further to the Right than Warren? I'm asking.

Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

jerzeegirl, I tried to clarify in a later post. But since it might get missed there, just added it to my previous one also.

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

I like the fact that I am supportive to one degree or another of all the candidates. It's a very credible and impressive group.

2 Likes Save    
mayflowers

It looks like trump supporters will be looking for a new candidate in 2020 since they find temper tantrums disqualifying. I didn't see any of their comments in those threads where staff accused trump of screaming at them, cursing them, insulting them, and slamming his fists on the table yet they have plenty to say about Amy. Hmmm.

8 Likes Save    

I've just been trying to figure out if her snowflake staff has been spoiled by their helicopter parents making them think their feelings are important

OR

If some posters here have truly been enlightened by recent discussions on the importance of acknowledging people's feelings and standing up for the oppressed.

Such a dichotomy.

1 Like Save    
arcy_gw

She is a mean boss and she feels it is ok to kill babies, and ask inane questions of future Supreme Court Justices. Tip of the ice berg of character flaws. She won't make it to the primary.

1 Like Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Is she mean or just a strong personality. This wouldn't be such a issue if male. Maybe bshe just doesn't suffer fools and makes that known and they get their feelings hurt.

I would rather have a tough boss with high standards than a lying, cheating, soulless one.

2 Likes Save    

Izzy I somewhat agree. I can handle a tough boss. I would have to be very driven by my own ambition to put up with actual abuse.

I feel like I could handle a thrown binder or a late-night critical email.

I know I could handle ranting in the car.

I would probably naturally pick up clothes but I wouldn't feel obligated. Same with dishes. I'd take my chances on getting fired for not doing it, but I wouldn't quit because I was asked to do it.

That being said, obviously I didn't experience it. And a high staff turnover is a warning sign.

MN loves her and my experience has been that MN is more than willing to give someone they don't like the boot.

This is a good analysis, particularly the statement that Minnesotans believe "politics belongs to citizens, and politicians only rent their positions" https://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/weekinreview/05franken.html

It's a decade old but nothing has changed in my experience.

1 Like Save    
barncatz

I've been reading the praise from her Republican colleagues. If we could have a President that a Congress might work with, that would be a good start.

Save    
mayflowers

She's 58. Maybe she was menopausal when all this was going on.

Irritability: Up to 70 percent of women describe irritability as their main emotional problem during the early stages of the menopausal transition. They find themselves less tolerant and more easily annoyed at things that did not bother them before.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Here are some positive assessments--the other half of the story that catkin omitted from the excerpt she posted above:

--------------------

"The critical assessment of Klobuchar is not universally shared. In fact, a half-dozen former staffers say that they never witnessed any of the behavior that is now becoming public. “I came to Capitol Hill to work hard and to get stuff done, and there is nobody that works harder or gets more done than Amy Klobuchar,” former Klobuchar staffer Asal Sayas told Yahoo News. “These are tough jobs and you need to be able to rise to the occasion. I learned a lot, we got a lot done and had fun along the way.”

“I’ve loved working for her,” a current Klobuchar staffer told Yahoo News, calling the senator a “great boss” and “great friend.” Others described how Klobuchar could show genuine solicitude about staffers’ family lives or health matters. “That ‘Midwestern nice’ is real,” said one former male staffer, alluding to the image popularly used to describe Klobuchar. He said he believes that criticism of Klobuchar stems from a “subconscious, implicit bias about women.”

“She is a tough boss, for sure,” says former Klobuchar staffer Tristan Brown. But like others who remain supportive of Klobuchar, he is appreciative of her exacting standards. He says that she “may be the brightest person I’ve ever worked for. Certainly the savviest.”

Klobuchar “doesn’t sleep,” says someone who worked for her in Minnesota, and “never stops working.” The former staffer meant this as praise, though also as explanation for the high turnover with which her office has been plagued. “She definitely burns people out,” he said. At the same time, he said that some former staffers “didn’t serve her well.” He believed that it was these staffers who were now speaking to the press.

And even some of her harshest critics praised Klobuchar’s intelligence and determination. . . .

Behind the scenes, staffers worked to contain the crisis, as they tried to find out who had been behind the damaging quotes and anecdotes that have emerged thus far, say two people aware of those efforts (a primary reason for why some of those who spoke for this article wanted no identifying characteristics to be used, and others refused to be quoted at all). At the same time, they urged reporters to contact former Klobuchar staffers who were known to have a favorable assessment of the senator."

-------------------------------

I take no sides on this controversy as yet. Don't know enough about what is going on. But I will keep an eye out for any future revelations, pro or con.

Kate

3 Likes Save    
cattyles

I’m going to keep an ear out for info and keep an open mind. So far, I like Klobuchar and Harris.

3 Likes Save    

Well I have to walk back my above statement a bit. I just texted my sis in MN (a republican voter who does *not* support Trump btw) and asked what her thoughts are, will Repubs vote for Klobuchar. She said, and I quote "No. She's a tyrant. Won't make it past the democratic primaries."

So "love" is probably too strong a word. :-)

Save    
Stan Areted

I saw a blip of an interview; rather than embrace her midwestern state and values, she's full on the dem train.

I guess she is just one more angry woman.

Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

As opposed to the one angry man in the White House.

1 Like Save    
numbersjunkie

No. She's a tyrant.

miss Lindsay, sounds like your sister is very well read and follows all the issues, LOL.

But if she doesn't like tyrants, I guess that explains why she's not a Trump supporter.

1 Like Save    
woodnymph2_gw

I had liked what I had seen and heard during the Kavanagh hearings. Now, with the "mean boss" issue, I plan to keep an open mind and reserve judgement. I prefer to see someone with civil, calm, rational behavior in the White House. I am heartily weary of rule by chaos, a la Trump.

4 Likes Save    
althea_gw

Muss Lindsey, your post reminded me of an article I read a couple of days ago. Here are some clips that offer a different take than your sis. Repubs just might vote for her.

"Why is she so popular?

Republicans would surely like to know.

Klobuchar’s popularity with voters is remarkable for a state where voters seem to prefer partisan balance, have been accused of being fickle and are known for close elections, even recounts.

Not so for Klobuchar. In 2006, she grabbed 58 percent of the vote, some 20 points ahead of the next competitor. She was re-elected in 2012 with 65 percent of the vote — 35 points ahead of the field. And in November, she was re-elected to a third term with 60 percent, a 24-point victory over the next guy. (Her opponents aren’t stiffs, but their names do seem to become the stuff of political trivia.)

In all those elections, she has outperformed everyone. She has outperformed Republican President Donald Trump in Trump strongholds and outperformed Democratic Gov. Tim Walz in his strongholds. In 2012, when her name appeared below Barack Obama’s on the ballot, she got more than 308,000 more votes than the sitting president.

There’s no question that a certain portion of Republicans regularly split their tickets and vote for Klobuchar.

Former Vice President Walter Mondale says Klobuchar’s secret sauce isn’t all that secret: “She knows how to get around,” Mondale, a mentor of Klobuchar’s, told the Pioneer Press.

He said when Klobuchar made her first Senate run and vowed to visit all of Minnesota’s 87 counties, he told her it wasn’t necessary. “I said, ‘You’re crazy,’ ” Too much effort for not enough numbers of voters, he said. But now Mondale believes that he underestimated how hard Klobuchar would work — and how well she could connect with Greater Minnesotans. “A lot of parts of Minnesota have never seen a U.S. senator,” Mondale said."

{clip}

"The Republican National Committee is already trying to frame the question this way: “Which Amy will run for president?” The phrase was the subject line of an email blasted out Friday that attempts to cast Klobuchar as faking milquetoast to hide a far-left agenda: “Maybe Klobuchar will finally shed her carefully crafted facade of being the Midwestern moderate in favor of her D.C. persona – a senator who openly embraces the coastal values of party bosses Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi,” read the email from the RNC’s Minnesota office, which added that Klobuchar voted “with the likes of Elizabeth Warren 80 percent of the time.”"

{clip}

"She’s also known as a hard worker — to a fault at times. “Intense” is a frequent adjective staffers have used over the years. Things like late-night emails asking a staffer to double-check something buried deep in a bill — because she’s double-checking it herself right now, after midnight."

https://duluthnewstribune.com/news/government-and-politics/4569064-who-amy-klobuchar-whats-her-story-and-why-she-so-popular

1 Like Save    
Linda

I believe she does need a good 101 course on how to handle less-than-perfect or downright incompetent behavior in her staffers without turning into a shrewish bad boss. Because anyone running for president needs to be able to handle those reporting to her/him better than that. Retaining the people who serve under a president is really important. Just look at the clown in the WH now...few will even agree to an interview, much less agree to serve under him. And they tend to leave soon rather than later, for one reason or other. Also, at least in theory, politicians work for all their constituents, so serving all of them should be the most important thing. Something very few politicians remember. Most pols just care about those who agree with their own views on issues and regularly send them large donations.

3 Likes Save    

I would be the first to admit that my sis has her own special brand of mysogeny lol. (Laughing because there's nothing else that can be done about it.)

At least one MN Republican doesn't love the woman anyway :-D

1 Like Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

I've been reading the praise from her Republican colleagues. If we could have a President that a Congress might work with, that would be a good start.

As with most things, I tend to weigh both sides thoroughly. What happens when she wins and the republicans decide to block everything again? If one's normal way of cooperation to get things done is blocked, does it throw the entire play book out the window? How is her B Plan?

I really like her in interviews. She is probably more in line with my views than the candidates that are farther left. So I'm looking very closely at the things that bug me, because at some point I'm going to have to decide their importance in the larger picture. If it sounds as if I'm picking on her more than the other candidates, it is because I care. ;)

4 Likes Save    
althea_gw

Gry_flacon, how about in 2020 the dems strengthen their lead in the House & take back the Senate to avoid republican obstruction entirely? That's my plan B. :)

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

I believe she does need a good 101 course on how to handle less-than-perfect or downright incompetent behavior in her staffers without turning into a shrewish bad boss

No, she needs to be smart enough to read people, assess their qualities and qualifications, and not hire downright incompetent behavior in the first place, if that is truly the problem.

If she is entirely justified in her rage and throwing items (I don't see how that is possible) then she should be looking in the mirror and asking how all those incompetent people got a job with her,.

Nepotism? Payback for contributions?

Save    
elvis

"She’s also known as a hard worker — to a fault at times. “Intense” is a frequent adjective staffers have used over the years. Things like late-night emails asking a staffer to double-check something buried deep in a bill — because she’s double-checking it herself right now, after midnight."

...a trait she has in common with President Trump.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Hardly!

1 Like Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

Gry_flacon, how about in 2020 the dems strengthen their lead in the House & take back the Senate to avoid republican obstruction entirely?

I love that plan. But I fret a bit about her reportedly being popular with crossover votes--they could vote for Amy for pres, feeling she would be acceptable, but vote Republican on the other tickets. Maybe it would be better to choose someone the Republicans/former Rs would not like, so they will stay home and the Democrats would have an easier time regaining the Senate. Am I overthinking? ;)

Save    

"Maybe it would be better to choose someone the Republicans/former Rs would not like, so they will stay home and the Democrats would have an easier time regaining the Senate. Am I overthinking? ;)"

They won't stay home. And if you're running a moderate for Prez then moderates are going to be successful for congress too I would think.

I guess it depends on the end goal. Is it more important to have a certain party's name on the leader board or is it more important to elect people who will accomplish the goals that are in desperate need regardless of party affiliation? The environment is top of my list. The environment will not wait for partisan politics.

Give never-Trump voters a chance and I think they will vote for a moderate Democrat. But maybe that's my Minnesotan speaking.

3 Likes Save    
mayflowers

Oh dear, Stan. You really need to check to see if trump is guilty of the things you fault Democratic candidates for before you post. First Warren, now Klobuchar.

Save    
elvis

The thread's about Klobuchar.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

The thread's about Klobuchar.

But, but, she throws things!

Let's talk about President Trump instead!

Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

Is it more important to have a certain party's name on the leader board or is it more important to elect people who will accomplish the goals that are in desperate need regardless of party affiliation?

The vast majority of Republicans don't care about the environment. They care not one whit (except those that cheer) when safeguards and protections get the axe by politicians in their party. I've watched decades of work evaporate with this administration. Maybe some of them support clean water, but endangered species, old growth forests, and holding companies accountable for releasing toxins, not so much. I agree that The environment will not wait for partisan politics. But IMO, bipartisanship is going to just be the ball and chain around the ankle. What is needed is Democrats majorities in every corner, and a quick pace to push through reinstatements on as much of the lost ground as possible.

Save    
althea_gw

Gyr_falcon, after shoveling more of what is reported to be 20 inches of snow the past 2 weeks, I'm in no state to determine what is thinking, much less over thinking. The NYtimes article Miss Lindsey Posted is really funny. The bit about State Fair seed art reminded me of last summers Scarecrow Competition. This was my favorite. Our pictures didn't turn out so I had to find some on the web.

1 Like Save    

Best quote from the article "It’s hard to think of another state in the union where you’d see gay-themed art made out of mix of flax and corn seed." I really do love MN.

That scarecrow is awesome althea.

1 Like Save