The Italian Hot Dog, yeah it's a Jersey thing

fawnridge (Ricky)

Many cities are famous for their hot dogs. Chicago in particular comes to mind. But growing up in New Jersey we had the Italian hot dog. The best of them came from a small chain called "Jimmy Buff's" which is still selling these beauties today. Deep fried hot dogs, sauteed onions and bell peppers, potatoes and an amazing roll, baked fresh daily.

SaveComment27Like2
Comments (27)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
party_music50

Looks good! Were these served with any typical condiment?

Save    
lindac92

I grew up in Northern New Jersey.....never saw am Italian hod dog....our special was a Coney.

Save    
party_music50

We don't have a regional hot dog 'thing' here. The usual toppings are offered -- like onions, sauerkraut, chili, etc. However, there's a golf course a couple hours drive west of here that has a corner spot on the club house where they sell "whites" or "reds" w/ homemade 3 pepper hot relish. Divine.

Save    
fawnridge (Ricky)

Jimmy Buffs was in Newark, Orange, and Kearney. I ate mine with ketchup and mustard. Lots of other places made them, but Jimmy Buffs stands out as one of the best.

Save    
Lars

At Venice Beach, we have Jodi Maroni's, which advertises Haut Dogs. When I lived in Venice, I went there frequently, as it was walking distance, although I normally rode my bike. Normally, I do not eat hot dogs, but I like these in Venice. I went to one Dodgers' game (I won the tickets at work), and I refused to get a Dodger Dog, which did not look interesting to me at all, and is quite large. Then there is Pinks on La Brea in Hollywood, but I've never stopped there - partly because there is usually a long line. We've driven by it countless times, however. I never had a hot dog in New York. I liked them more as a child, especially when grilled outdoors during the endless summers in Texas. We do grill sausage outdoors here, but I don't make sandwiches or hot dogs with it. I do add the smoked/grilled sausage to grits and other recipes instead. I did not see hot dogs in Italy either.

Save    
Feathers11

I grew up with Chicago style and, while I don't seek out a hot dog anymore, I still crave sweet relish. These days it goes in tuna salad.

The two best hot dogs I've ever had came from street carts in NYC and Washington DC. I think because they had fewer toppings than what I was used to, I really tasted the hot dog itself. I vividly remember savoring each one. Since then, I don't bother eating hotdogs unless it's from a street cart.

Save    
foodonastump

Hey Ricky I see they ship!

I might have to check out the W Orange location, as by description only I can’t decide if it sounds good.

Save    
fawnridge (Ricky)

I can’t imagine what all that congealed grease would taste like after shipping.

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

We loved Hippos in Schaumburg, a suburb of Chicago.

Save    
Sammy

I have two words when it comes to NJ’s best hotdogs: Texas Weiner.

Save    
jerzeegirl

I understand the whole concept of the Italian hot dog. What I don't understand is why they stick that potato in there. It's incongruous and ruins the whole concept for me.

Save    
Martha Scott

Never heard of a NJ dog -- here on the prairie ours is usually served with chili.

Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

I grew up in Jersey City in the 50's and hotdogs ALWAYS had sauerkraut and mustard. That's it.

1 Like Save    
party_music50

When in Rome.... this is where I head for food when I'm at the NY State Fair. Great hot sausage w/ peppers & onions -- even their turkey sausage is good!

Gianelli Sausage w/ Peppers & Onions

1 Like Save    
fawnridge (Ricky)

The fried potatoes complete the meal. Hot dog and French fries, yes?

Save    
Jasdip

I never would have imagined potatoes. I love putting fried onions and peppers on my weinees

Save    
JoanEileen

Nothing ever tasted better than the deep fried white hots sold in the drive ins on New York's Lake Ontario shore around Oswego.

Save    
foodonastump

Kind of off topic but since so many have mentioned sauerkraut and mustard I thought I’d share that after 50 years I finally had my first dog with ‘kraut last weekend! Normally I’d ask for no sauerkraut and pick off any trace that may have hitched a ride with the tongs. But my friend was unusually excited about the hot dogs he was serving, and looked crestfallen when he had no takers for the first one he assembled. Guest after guest, “No sauerkraut for me please.” So I forced a smile and took it off his hands. I prepared for the worst, but have to admit it was actually pretty good!

Save    
jerzeegirl

A potato inside a roll. What is the glycemic load on that little combo?

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Same as if it were on the side, I imagine! ;)

3 Likes Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

I lived in Bergan county, NJ for a few years back in the 80s and never heard of an Italian Hot Dog nor do I remember ever eating one. I agree some of the best hog dogs are served by street carts in NYC although they are probably the most expensive hot dogs on the planet.

I prefer my Italian 'hot dogs' to be a mildly spicy Italian sausage with sauteed onions and peppers and a good pizza sauce on a fresh brat bun.

Save    
jerzeegirl

LJ,, Like the kind they make at the Italian street festivals!

FOAS, lol. I even object to eating french fries with a hot dog. The sauerkraut is vegetable enough!

Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

In NY, it's Walter's.

dcarch

Save    
l pinkmountain

In Great Britain they eat "french fry" sandwiches. French fries on white bread with butter. Called "chip butties" since they call "french fries"/"chips." I always found them gross but to many of my British friends they are comfort food. I would consider such carb-loaded dishes a treat but would only eat on a regular basis if I was doing heavy physical labor every day, which is when such foods evolved initially. Potato stuffed hand pies are a fairly common thing, like a knish or pasty/pastie.

Save    
PRO
Lars/J. Robert Scott

I read that NYC street hot dogs should not cost more than $2.50 - very cheap by L.A. standards. I also read that some vendors fleece tourists in New York.

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

jerzeegirl - yes, love um!

Lars - do you think a guy with a KC accent would be picked out as a tourist in NYC?

Save    
blubird

In NYC, they’re called “dirty water dogs”. Years ago, before street vendor cart inspections, you ate them at your peril. Supposedly, the cart standards are more stringent now.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular A Laundry Room With Bunk Beds and a Shower for Muddy Dogs
Custom cabinets with dog beds and a new step-up dog shower turn a laundry room into a hardworking hot spot
Full Story
Room of the Day Room of the Day: Deep Blue Proves a Hot Hue
Navy takes a New Jersey living room from dull to dashing in the flick of a paintbrush
Full Story
Decorating Guides Design Trend: Color Maximalism May Be the Next Big Thing
Going all out with bold colors and patterns will be hot in 2019, design experts say. Here’s how to punch up your palette
Full Story
SmartRoof is dedicated to the relentless pursuit of the perfect customer experience. We help you make educated... Read More
All American Painting Plus is a full-service, owner-operated professional painting & contracting services company... Read More