SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Valentine's Day

amylou321
5 years ago

Do you celebrate it? I saw on the news that 51% of people don't. That makes me sad. I know that it's a big commercial hoopla,but you dont have to spend any extra money to celebrate it. You can make someone a card or a special meal. Or even just write a little note....
That being said:
We do Valentines pretty big,as far as spending. This year,SO already bought me a shiny new washer and dryer. I told him that was my valentine, but he says it's not because it's something we both benefit from,even though I am the only one who uses it. So, I am curious to see what else he comes up with. Usually,i get flowers,some sort of stuffed animal and a giant gift basket of some sort. Last year it was a gourmet food basket.
This year so far I got him 2 pairs of boots,a coat,a shirt,and I am PATIENTLY waiting for him to decide on which part for his race car he wants me to order for him.(romantic,ain't it?) I will also get him a bunch of sweets that he likes and if I have time,will go to Krispy Kreme to get some heart shaped doughnuts.
I have to say, I am suspicious that I will be getting a new four legged friend this year. As Muffin has joined our other dogs in abandoning the house to run wild outside like a heathen,we STILL dont have an inside dog,and he has been mentioning it more and more lately. So, we shall see.
Do you have any plans this year? Or are you of the "I show him/her I love her everyday, I dont need to get them a valentine" Set? (I am not saying that sentiment is WRONG,mind you. I am just curious)

Comments (37)

• georgysmom2
    5 years ago

We have had heart-shaped meatloaf on valentines day since the 70's. Cannot imagine Valentine's Day without it. When the girls were younger, they made me make pink mashed potatoes to go along with it.

amylou321 thanked georgysmom2
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

How fun! I cook in heart shapes all year long. I collect hearts and much of my collection is in my kitchen. It's been probably 5 years since SO has had a homemade biscuit,pancake,pot pie or cake that's not shaped like a heart......

I would celebrate even when I was single. I would not hesitate to buy myself flowers and a new heart shaped whatnot to add to my collection every Vday.

• Related Discussions

Happy Valentine's Day

Q

Comments (5)
    That’s a cool cactus! And a Happy Valentine’s Day to you Rusty and everyone else too.
    ...See More

Valentine's Day

Q

Comments (15)
    I think humor has healing qualities. Those who are able to laugh at sub par past relationships are healthy. I have seen this sort of thing before. Once I sent a boss I did not care much for, a dozen dead roses in a black box lined with black tissue paper (there was actually a company that did this) , it was very funny.
    ...See More

Valentine's Day Dinner

Q

Comments (38)
    See! You could have used one of those as a stamp before you cooked it! Story: The shovel digression reminded me. I have a hammer. I'm not sure exactly where I got the hammer but I had it in college. It might have been a freebie that my father handed off to me. I got all kinds of weird things that way. I still have it. It hammers things. It has a good claw. I can lift it. All's good. But one day, my father was at my house helping me with something and asked for a hammer, so I handed him my hammer. He looked at it with great disdain and a little puzzlement. "That's not a hammer," he said. Um...it's a better hammer than those flowery girly ones, but whatev. So he went to his truck and got a "real hammer" (not bigger nor heavier, surely better balanced, separate head and wooden handle, whereas mine is all in one, probably some kind of pot metal with a chrome finish and rubbery grip, but I don't know what made it so much more real. I think you have to be better at driving nails than I to know). After he finished the job, he tried to give his hammer to me, though I wouldn't let him. It was his favorite hammer. He'd had it since long before I was born. What greater expression of love is there than a man who wants to give you his favorite hammer when you don't even know why it's better than the one you have?
    ...See More

OBF-February (Valentines Day)

Q

Comments (60)
    Kim, I did receive your catd today. Thankyou for the Shasta, zinnia , and morning glory seeds. Hopefully, they will be planted in Virginia. Our house has been on the market for a week. Four showings but no interest so far. Keep your fingers crossed.
    ...See More
  • wildchild2x2
    5 years ago

No. Not really. At least not with gifts. I dislike going out to eat on holidays. I do have a meeting that night and it will most likely have a Valentine theme. Also going to a Valentine lunch ( Red Hat group) tomorrow. Some will dress to the nines with fancy red dresses and lots of bling. It's raining. I will wear jeans, red boots and a Valentine sweatshirt and put some hearts on my hat or just wear a deely bopper heart headband. That way after I can get on with my day afterwards. I don't do dress up.

amylou321 thanked wildchild2x2
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

We are hit and miss with these types of holidays. Some years we do something and other years we don't. Looks like this VD is occurring during an on year. Hubby bought me a box of heart shaped chocolates the other day. Tomorrow I am making his favorite breakfast ( biscuits and gravy with scrambled eggs on the side) and tomorrow night we are going out for dinner (weather permitting - big snow storm on the way according to the forecasters).

amylou321 thanked DawnInCal
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Dawn-

HEART SHAPED BISCUITS?!?!?!?!?!

• DawnInCal
    5 years ago

Oooooooh yea, if i had a heart shaped biscuit cutter! Maybe I'll try to cut one into a heart shape with a knife.

• amylou321
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I use a cookie cutter. I think if I served SO a biscuit that wasn't shaped like a heart he would think i was mad at him and would be afraid to eat it!

• DawnInCal
    5 years ago

That's a good idea; i'll keep an eye out for a heart shaped cookie cutter, they should be around this time of year.

Ha! You should prank him out for April fools day and serve regular biscuits, but that might be too mean. Practical jokes are a know your audience kinda thing. :-)

• daisychain Zn3b
    5 years ago

Dawn, I've used an empty tin can bent into shape when my kids were little and I was desperate (before there was a $ store on every corner). If I recall correctly, an empty Dole pineapple tidbits can is a great size for biscuit hearts.

amylou321 thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • lucillle
    5 years ago

As Muffin has joined our other dogs in abandoning the house to run wild outside like a heathen,we STILL dont have an inside dog

Instead of getting a new dog each time your existing dog abandons your house, you might consider some training as a Valentine's gift to you, for one or all of your outside dogs that would teach them acceptable house manners. I think both people and dogs enjoy living in a home together but it is one of those things where initial effort repays itself many times over.

There are even big active hairy dogs like labs and German Shepherds that enjoy romping outdoors but also can be wonderful companion dogs inside.

• satine_gw
    5 years ago

I like every holiday and while growing up we did a little something for each one. My mom made sure we had at least a little chocolate heart, cherry pie for washingtons bday, shamrock cookies for st pat's day etc. Not much money while growing up but there was always a little something. Now living alone those days go by without much notice. I do like the idea of buying myself a little something. Maybe I'll do just that.

amylou321 thanked satine_gw
  • georgysmom2
    5 years ago

Years ago when the kids were young, I bought a small box of chocolates, not for the chocolates but it was a plastic box, just the right size to make heart-shaped cookies with. It became my cookie cutter. I no longer make the cookies, but have still have the cutter. Use a heart-shaped cake pan for the meatloaf.

amylou321 thanked georgysmom2
  • OklaMoni
    5 years ago

Last year I had a blast for Valentines day. I invited single friends, and to top it off I ended up having an around the world cyclist that evening.

I am not sure, about this year. I don't want to invite the guys... but I might ask the ladies again.

Moni

amylou321 thanked OklaMoni
  • Jasdip
    5 years ago

I always cooked a special meal for Valentine's with wine and candles. We bought each other a card, but not a gift.

amylou321 thanked Jasdip
  • Alisande
    5 years ago

I've never gotten very excited about Valentine's Day, probably because my DH disliked "Hallmark holidays." I've been a widow for 14 years, and if I think of Valentine's at all, I think of it as a celebration for other people. I do buy Valentine's cards for my kids and grandkids though.

amylou321 thanked Alisande
  • susanwv
    5 years ago

We paint rocks for every occasion, also get cards and candy, hopefully, haha

amylou321 thanked susanwv
  • schoolhouse_gw
    5 years ago

I send a card to one friend who enjoys all holidays and excuses for cards, and I admit I look forward to hers. Have been single all my life and can not recall ever receiving flowers or a box of candy for Val.Day or any day. Well, candy for Christmas maybe from relatives. ha

amylou321 thanked schoolhouse_gw
  • User
    5 years ago

Nope. What's the point? One day a year you show your significant other you love them? Shouldn't you be doing that every day? I do get my grandson a chocolate heart. He's five. He's a child. That's different. My kids and husband know every day I love them by me not killing them. :) yet........... although there have been times but that's another thread. ;)

amylou321 thanked User
  • sjerin
    5 years ago

We don't celebrate V's Day because we have three birthdays in the middle of that month. That's more than enough celebrating! I always did give the kids chocolates, though. Hubby? A big, fat nuthin'. :) Well, he doesn't like chocolate.

amylou321 thanked sjerin
  • Rusty
    5 years ago

Doing something special on Valentine's Day for your spouse, SO, kids, whoever, doesn't mean you are not showing them love every day. We never made a really big deal out of it, but we always got each other a nice card, some 'special' chocolates, something to just kind of reinforce the everyday love and kindnesses. I'm a widow now, so I just send cards to the Great-Grands. There are too many to send cards to everyone, so I send Valentine's texts to the kids & grandkids. They all know how special they are to me!

I used to put out some decorations for Valentine's Day, (and other 'minor' holidays, too) but haven't done that since I've been alone. Not sure why. . . . .

Rusty

amylou321 thanked Rusty
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

Other than occasionally getting my wife flowers, it's a mutually agreed day like any other in our house. We observe few "holidays" anyway, not much other than birthdays and even those are done with little fanfare. V Day was different when our kids were little but we did what we did for them.

It's maybe the worst night of the year to try to eat dinner in a restaurant. When we do decide to have a Valentine's dinner, we do it several days before or after.

amylou321 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    5 years ago

We don't exchange gifts in general. Sometimes we get chocolate on VD for an excuse, but it's not really a thing.

amylou321 thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • lucillle
    5 years ago

I'm happy to adopt any unwanted chocolates that may have been forced on anyone.

amylou321 thanked lucillle
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lucille,all my dogs are housebroken and know how to behave in the house. They do not lack training. And they come in when they are told. They just prefer being outside,where they have fenced in acreage to romp on. But every one of them is welcome in the house. And they know it. Muffin gets tired of the house and paces in front of the door that leads to her part of our property whenever she is in the house for more than an hour or two. So i let her out. She was a rescue, from the end of a short chain after being dumped. So she enjoys running free.

Sammy was a true house dog. And he was a big pit bull. He enjoyed the occasional romp session outside but in the end was an inside dog/mama's boy through and through. It's still odd not having him in the house with me. He will be gone for a year on the 25th of this month.

I didn't ask for another dog. I never do. I just suspect I will be getting one. SO knows that I will never turn down or turn away another fur baby. He actually wants a dog in the house. I am good with what we have now. But he has been talking about it more and more lately,and Vday would be a good excuse I guess,even though he doesn't need one.

• User
    5 years ago

I'm part of the 51%

amylou321 thanked User
  • eld6161
    5 years ago

Usually flowers, maybe chocolate. I just get DH a card as the candy is enough for both of us and the flowers are enjoyed by both of us.

No need to double up.

amylou321 thanked eld6161
  • highdesertowl
    5 years ago

Pretty sure that with chocolate, there is always a need to double up :)

amylou321 thanked highdesertowl
  • joyfulguy
    5 years ago

Don't celebrate - used to, some, when the kids were young.

Don't remember whether I did for them after we parted, when they were 9 and 6, probably something to reassure them that Dad still loved them.

Just dug out the fourth last chocolate mound, one of the box of cookies that my neighbours gave me for Christmas, cut it into about six thin slices that I've been enjoying while reading your stories.

What's that? It isn't Val Day yet?

Oh, well - that chocolate (those slices) sure tasted good!

Think I may be able to leave at least one alone till next Thursday?

ole joyful

amylou321 thanked joyfulguy
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

Well, heart shaped or not, those were the best darn biscuits I've made in a long time. Hubby raved and went back, not just for seconds, but for thirds too!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    5 years ago

We like to have a special dinner for Valentine's Day. Sure we love each other every day but it's sweet to have a special meal with good conversation.

amylou321 thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Dawn,must have been all the LOVE (or as SO says it "lurve") you put in them. Love tastes better than buttah!!!

• marilyn_c
    5 years ago

We don't celebrate any holidays. That is not to say that we don't do nice things for each other. When it comes to making a special meal for him, I always ask him what he wants me to cook. Sometimes he says it doesn't matter and sometimes he makes a suggestion and when he does, that is what I will cook.

amylou321 thanked marilyn_c
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

Yep, those biscuits were definitely made with love - it was the main ingredient although the buttah didnt hurt either!

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    5 years ago

Valantine's day is also our 24th anniversary this year. I got DW a nice surf and turf dinner of KC strip streaks and lobster tails that I will grill on Thuresday weather permitting. If not we will have it on the weekend. She loves chocolate dipped strawberries so I will pick up a box of those too and probably a flower arrangement or roses.

We are trying to decide on a vacation trip to somewhere warm next year for our 25th. We tied the knot in Vegas so we might go back there or on a short cruise.

amylou321 thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • jill302
    5 years ago

Usually buy my husband and kids candy, and a card. Sometimes add something small. DH and I pick a date later in the month to go out for a nice meal. No interest in joining the masses eating out on Valentine’s Day.

amylou321 thanked jill302
  • yeonassky
    5 years ago

I love celebrating Valentine's Day. It is very low-key around here though. We basically say Happy Valentine's Day and then perhaps go out for breakfast together or have a nice dinner at home. We generally don't buy each other things.

I really wanted us to get married on February 14th and DH thought it was too soon to plan the wedding on time. I was sad about that for quite a while.

amylou321 thanked yeonassky