SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandzmom

Chimney brick rotting after professional paint job and flashing damage

kym
5 years ago

Would love some advise from professionals or anyone who knows about this type of situation. We just finished a massive renovation which changed a few things indoors( including fireplace) and everything outdoors( windows, doors, siding..). We had the fireplace which was covered with big bolders removed bolders and framed and plastered. On interior mason did work to the fireplace. There had been a tiny leak in the wall above mantel during thawing and some rot was found but GC said he didnt need to remove remaining wall since we now have a new metal roof nothing will leak. The mason then put new flashing which looked messy and I asked the GC to habe someone check out the job...but no one really did. Then the brick chimney was painted. 5 uears ago we built chimney up higher and put a new chimney cap on.

Then there was a windy day in November and part of New flashing blew off. GC thought mason had fixed but he never returned.

After the thaw this week approx 4 months after the chimney was painted pieces of brick in chunks started to fall off throughout the chimney. GC sent the mason to fix the flashing and said painters did everything right. I will send a photo and picture of product used. They said it was permeable and so Moisture wouldnt be getting trapped. On the day of chimney paint there was not a supervisor most of day. The rest of house on some of siding had an int ext primer not designed for brick. As a layperson I am questioning whether they inadvertently put a primer not designed for brick making it that moisture cant escape and then when the ice thawed the brick started decaying.

Will be thrilled to hear any thoughts. Will send photos separate.

thanks all!!!

Comments (13)