Great Radio Program to Share

lgmd_gaz

https://slbradio.org/

This link will take you to the home page of a radio broadcast that has been on the air for 40 years. It runs from 6am to noon on Saturdays, and features word games where you can play along by phone or internet if you wish, interesting features on kids, good music in between etc, etc. It is great for families to listen together. It is broadcast from the Children's Museum Of Pittsburgh. There are many ways to listen, internet, Andriod, Streema, and several different FM stations around the country broadcast the program too. Go to the website and click 'Listen' to see how you can tune in.

Dh and I have been listening for 20 years and enjoy every show....well sometimes the 'local' talent that occasionally are on the show could use some improvement, but the host allows everyone a chance. Do try it, you may get hooked like we did.

SaveComment24Like4
Comments (24)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lgmd_gaz

Well, I guess nobody cares about radio these days. I can hardly believe not one comment on this post. Don't think I have ever seen a post that went to page 2 with no comments. The 2 likes at least tell me that 2 people perhaps did read it.

Ok, just for fun, can you answer this riddle from yesterday's broadcast.

What one word naturally follows each of these three words.

Finger

Tooth

Draft

Or from last week

What one word naturally follows each of these three words

Hard

Hay

Trip

Save    
blfenton

I didn't see this until just now. (3 minutes after you posted your comment) so maybe it disappeared.

I probably won't be able to get it.

1 Like Save     Thanked by lgmd_gaz
sjerin

I didn't see it either until now and I would have noticed it sooner as there aren't many new posts. I love the radio and will ask for a new one for my bday in a few months as the fm stations don't come in very well. I generally listen as I'm doing the dishes or puttering around the house. Is this a local show for you?

lgmd_gaz

It is a local show for me, but if you read my original posting above, there are many ways to listen shown on the website. My niece in S.C. listens on a radio broadcast in Charleston. A friend in Indiana listens on the internet.

Save    
bpath Oh Sophie

I missed it Saturday morning, and now they are airing a show with a guitarist. Listening on the computer. But I will try to remember to tune in next week! If I remember...I usually listen to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me on Saturday if I remember, followed by Moth story hour and This American Life while out and about in the car. I've never gotten the hang of listening to the radio on the computer. I need to, because there's a podcast called A Way With Words that you will probably enjoy.

I'm working on those word puzzles you offered up!

Save     Thanked by lgmd_gaz
kathyg_in_mi

Thinking of an answer.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

To answer your question, it's great that you're such a loyal listener and have been for so long. But I think the majority of radio listening, for those who do (and many don't), takes place in the car and for short segments of time. Like the typical 10-15 minute car ride, maybe longer for those who commute during the workweek by car. People like quick hitting things- short news and human interest stories, weather, traffic, etc. Otherwise, the growth area for listening is podcasts, and this is what many people listen to regularly. You can choose topics and programs and listen at any time.

For the cited show, I looked at it and my first reaction was that it was a local children's program. Maybe that's not the case but between that and the limited distribution possibilities (and not including much in the way of major population centers), I don't think it should expect much draw away from home. If it wants to spread its wings, it should produce podcasts of its contents. Many, many shows from mainstream media (including PBS and NPR) put out their shows in the form of podcasts.

With this one I don't know who would have time or interest for a weekly show that's so long.

Winter

Maybe..........

Finger...Tooth...Draft + PICK ?

Hard...Hay...Trip + WIRE ?

And...I love radio but live in a vacuum area where reception is so poor that I have only about two stations that I can opt to listen to. Neither are overly appealing to me. But I much prefer radio over TV. So much so that I don't even own a TV. :-)

4 Likes Save     Thanked by lgmd_gaz
Bluebell66

I didn't see your post until just now, either. I don't typically listen to radio except for NPR, but will give it a try based on your recommendation.

Having said that, I do agree with Elmer that it looks like it's oriented to a demographic different than me, based on this opening sentence of their About page: "LB Radio Productions, Inc. (SLB) uses radio and audio to encourage, amplify, share and archive the ideas, stories, and feelings of children, youth and families."

lgmd_gaz

Winter, You got it!

2 Likes Save    
marilyn_c

I am an oddball....I listen to the radio almost all the time. If I am out of the house, like when doing chores, I listen to it on I-Heart app on my phone. On the weekends, I listen to podcasts, which are similar to listening to the radio. I watch very little TV, so instead I listen to something on YouTube or watch videos there. When I go to bed for the night, it is back to the radio. I have tinnitus, which sounds like constant crickets chirping. I am used to it now, but it bothered me for a long time. My husband can sleep through anything, so the radio does not bother him.

marilyn_c

bpath Oh Sophie...I love The Moth. One of my favorite podcasts.

2 Likes Save    
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Igmd, I read your post and reviewed the link. I knew that it was not anything that I would be interested in.

However, I am a huge fan of NPR and have enjoyed their weekend programming for many years. I far prefer those broadcasts designed for adults and our senses of humor and interests.

bpath Oh Sophie

winter, what's a fingerpick? All I can think of is fingerprick!

Save    
1 Like Save    
dedtired

I only listen to the radio in the car. I switch back and forth between public radio and the local news station. However, I adore podcasts and listen to them almost every night and when I am walking.

Winter

Thank you, Bookwoman. :-) I used to use one eons ago before these old fingers became so stubborn. Now...I listen rather than contribute.

bpath Oh Sophie

I learned something! I've seen those, and now I know what they are called :)

marilyn_c

I thought they were called guitar picks.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

More guitar players who play with a picking style grow the nails on their right hand long and use those or their fingertips rather than picks. And most fretboard instrument players have short nails on their left hands, to play the strings on the fretboard. Right handed ones, left handed is opposite. Most rock guitar players, with a few exceptions, use flat picks only. Lindsey Buckingham is an exception, he does a lot of finger picking and I think he uses his nails when he does. A small minority use thumb picks for strumming and non-picking playing. There's a well known one, I forget who it is. Banjo players often use finger and thumb picks but not all.

From left to right, finger pick, thumb pick, flat pick

laceyvail

Another radio listener here--NPR all day long. I don't own a TV, never have. i listen to many hour long shows.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by lgmd_gaz
lgmd_gaz

Well, at least this post resulted in someone learning something. If knowledge is gained, no matter the post, it is a good thing. LOL

Years ago when told about The Saturday Light Brigade radio broadcast, I didn't think I would be interested either. After a couple weeks of listening, I was hooked. It really is not simply 'childrens programing'. There are life lessons for our youth and young people are featured, but there is much for adults to learn too. It is 'regional', but I believe our general lives are the same everywhere and involve the same issues no matter where you live.

If you have access to the program, try it. Nothing to loose, maybe something to gain.

Save    
Alisande

I listen to NPR in the car, and occasionally podcasts for some of their shows ("Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" and the old "Car Talk" are two of my favorites) if I'm doing something mindless at the computer. I have no radio reception in the house, thanks to our ham radio towers.

We have a wonderful local public radio station, affiliated with NPR, with an all-volunteer staff. Several friends of mine have shows--including a great jazz show--and/or do the announcing. I often catch "From the Top," a wonderful NPR show featuring very young classical artists, once a week. They broadcast some unique stuff, and I wish I could just turn it on in the house.

Sjerin, you probably need a better antenna to improve your radio reception. I don't know how one evaluates an antenna when shopping for a new radio, but it's something to keep in mind. Maybe online reviews could help.

Your thread is popular after all, Gaz! :-)

Elmer J Fudd

alisande (and others)

Almost all radio stations can be accessed over the internet. As an example, the aggregation site tunein.com makes it easy to listen to radio stations throughout the world. Do you live in Utah and want to listen live to your favorite station in Boston? No problem. Like the BBC or Bayern 1 from Bavaria (in German)? No problem. Et cetera. Click on the "By Location" option and you can find all the radio stations in a given city or region of your choice.

Also, there is a new type of home electronic device called an Internet Radio that lets you connect with these sites (and worldwide radio stations). They look like a radio but connect to the internet using your home's wifi signal. You can listen to radio stations anywhere using an internet radio as well as by using a PC. They're not expensive. And the local reception in your neighborhood becomes irrelevant because your signal is coming over the internet.

Many of them have alarms. Many allow streaming from a PC so that if you have a favorite Pandora or Slacker station, you can "broadcast" that signal from your PC to the internet radio located in another part of your house. Or, even to outdoors, if within reach of your wifi signal and if an electrical socket is available.

If I were in the market for a radio, I'd buy an internet radio. Or as an alternative, I think Alexa offers similar functionality and connection choices.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by lgmd_gaz
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular 12-Step Program for Architecture
Addicted to architecture? We understand. Here's something that may help ... or not
Full Story
Bathroom Design 3 Shower Sound Systems That Beat Your Clunky Old Radio
Stream music, radio and podcasts — and even take phone calls — right in your shower, with wireless and water-resistant sound systems
Full Story
Decorating Guides Tune In to Vintage Radios as Home Decor
Do touch that dial. Old-time radios are showing up in modern-day homes, broadcasting a possible trend
Full Story
An extensive list of exclusive trade relationships with quality manufacturers, vendors, artisans, and contractors... Read More
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More