SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maavernon

Advice for a wardrobe in mudroom

Melissa Vernon
5 years ago

I'm hoping to redo our mudroom (entrances from garage and outside, also access to small laundry room and kitchen) which currently consists of a 60" closet with sliding doors. We also have a bench ottoman for shoes and 3 hooks on the wall above in a corner just behind the mudroom door (there really isn't the right space for the bench there, but I can slide it over when we need to open the door). I like the idea of the closet because I can shut the door to not see the clutter of lots of coats, but there is a lot of wasted space at the top of the closet. I have 2 sets of plastic drawers (6 total) under the hanging coats for winter gear, rain/snow boots and a dog drawer. I found some ideas here on Houzz as inspiration but am not looking to custom build the cabinets so I'm wondering what advice you have. I searched kitchen tall cabinets and find most of them have 4 doors. I think a wardrobe like the Ikea PAX might work for what I'm envisioning. I have 9' ceilings.

-Possibly a 30-39" wardrobe with 2 hanging rods and short cabinet above for storage.

-24-35" bench with either drawers or cubbies/baskets below for shoes.

-2 to 3 hooks above the bench and cabinets above for storage.

-Possibly build shelves into the wall studs behind the exterior door for small baskets for storage of gloves and hats.

We have 3 kids.

I'm not currently looking for advice on floor will have to see if there's $ in the budget to change it. Also not looking for comments about decluttering the doors of the photos and kid artwork, that will come down soon enough. I welcome your design suggestions and what type of wardrobe or cabinetry that can accomplish it.

The space we have now:

View from the kitchen

Panoramic view from the corner bench/door

Dimensions

Overall inspiration but smaller scale for me (hoping we can move the current electric to the wall as in the inspiration picture)

Inspiration for cabinet with double hanging rods

Comment