Attempted extortion of Jeff Bezos by National Enquirer

catticusmockingbird

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/07/media/jeff-bezos-ami-blackmail/index.html

Bezos said the Enquirer wanted him to make a false statement to the media that he and a security consultant “have no knowledge or basis for suggesting that AMI’s coverage was politically motivated or influenced by political forces.” He declined to do so.

SaveComment92Like2
Comments (92)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catticusmockingbird

Supposedly intimate photos. Bezos published a blog post, but Houzz won't let me link it because it includes the name of the CEO of AMI. I've tried linking with no luck. You could google "Jeff Bezos post on medium.com."

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Makes no sense that Enquirer thought anyone would care about the naked photos by this week since we had already heard of them. Sure it could be embarrassing for a few minutes, but not enough to bring Bezos to heel.

2 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)(8a)

Wow. Chalk me up as one who doesn't give a flying care what pics someone sends to his/her lover.

Good strategy on Bezos's part.

12 Likes Save    

There's a link to the blog post within the article that the OP links.

1 Like Save    
MissMyGardens

Seems according to Bezos the "embarrassing" photos weren't the primary target but just a vehicle to blackmail him into getting The Washington Post to back off stories about Saudi Arabia particularly the Kashoggi murder and dismemberment.

Excerpt of 9 page piece...they picked on the wrong person:

"No thank you, Mr. Pecker"

[Something unusual happened to me yesterday. Actually, for me it wasn’t just
unusual — it was a first. I was made an offer I couldn’t refuse. Or at least that’s what the top people at the National Enquirer thought. I’m glad they thought that, because it emboldened them to put it all in writing. Rather than capitulate to extortion and blackmail, I’ve decided to publish exactly what they sent me, despite the personal cost and embarrassment they threaten.

AMI, the owner of the National Enquirer, led by David Pecker, recently entered into an immunity deal with the Department of Justice related to their role in the so-called “Catch and Kill” process on behalf of President Trump and his election campaign. Mr. Pecker and his company have also been investigated for various actions they’ve taken on behalf of the Saudi Government.]

https://medium.com/@jeffreypbezos/no-thank-you-mr-pecker-146e3922310f

[I engaged investigators to learn how those texts were obtained, and to determine the motives for the many unusual actions taken by the Enquirer. As it turns out, there are now several independent investigations looking into this matter.

To lead my investigation, I retained Gavin de Becker. I’ve known Mr. de Becker for twenty years, his expertise in this arena is excellent, and he’s one of the smartest and most capable leaders I know. I asked him to prioritize protecting my time since I have other things I prefer to work on and to proceed with whatever budget he needed to pursue the
facts in this matter.]

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

TRMS is raising an interesting point....ami is in a cooperation agreement with prosecutors that they won't be prosecuted for their role in the hush activity re trump's chickies. But included in that agreement is that ami has to keep their nose clean and if they don't, the agreement is null and void. Sounds to me that the bezos business is far from keeping out of criminal trouble...so their non-prosecution agreement may be toast.

13 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Not the brightest move to attempt extortion of the richest man in the world, who by the way owns the Washington Post.

Pecker doing dirty for Donald. Pure Nixonian!

1 Like Save    
dandyfopp

Bezos pounds Pecker.

2 Likes Save    
blfenton

It sounds to me like the CEO of the National Enquirer George Peck,,r who is a friend of trump, is after Bezo who is the owner of Washington Post who really does not like trump, and who employed the journalist Kashoggi who was killed, (allegedly) by Saudi Arabia.It also appears that the National Enquirer needs funding and is seeking it from the Saudis'.

National Enquirer is looking to blackmail Bezo to get him to quit the story and to stop making the connections.

10 Likes Save    
Zeus

National Enquirer is looking to blackmail Bezo to get him to quit the story and to stop making the connections.

if so, it was an epic FAIL

6 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

"Of course I don’t want personal photos published, but I also won’t
participate in their well-known practice of blackmail, political favors,
political attacks, and corruption. I prefer to stand up, roll this log
over, and see what crawls out." ~ Jeff Bezos

18 Likes Save    
maddie260

Good on Bezos!

10 Likes Save    
Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real

Wow, just wow. What a mind boggling poor calculation on the part of The Enquirer. What would have given those morons the idea that Bezos would be intimidated by this threat? It's not 1950 and he is not a publicity hungry poseur. He is his own special kind of idiot for doing what he did- but that is neither here, nor there.

5 Likes Save    
Linda

NOW who is really exposed? Not Bezos! Pecker and his NE rag (90% made-up garbage, 10% partially based on truth) made fools of themselves. What's next in the plan to cover up evidence of treason and corruption? Thank goodness for people who can't be bought or threatened and for media that won't stop publishing the evidence against the liars, traitors and thieves caught in Mueller's net.

Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Palmer Report:

Whatever you think of Jeff Bezos in general, he’s found a way to win in
what was supposed to be a no-win situation. He’ll come out of this okay,
and he just sent his would-be blackmailer David Pecker to prison. Bezos
also found a way to blow this directly back onto Donald Trump, as the
SDNY now has an angle for investigating and exposing Trump’s criminal
culpability in the scandal. These kinds of Trump scandals usually tend
to involve members of his family as well. It’ll all come out.

https://www.palmerreport.com/analysis/genius-jeff-bezos-donald-trump/15823/

3 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Hope Pec$er businesses goes down for this. That's a special kind of low. I guess they really thought Bezo would fall for this, now really in hot water. I hope it doesn't get swept under the rug.

Yea for Bezo for standing up to the sleaze.

7 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

julie k. brown Verified account @jkbjournalist

New: Washington Post reporter just said that Bezos’ investigator suspects that “a government agency” intercepted Bezos’ text messages.
________

Which government?
US? UK? UAE???

January 30, 2019

Exclusive: UAE used cyber super-weapon to spy on iPhones of foes
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-spying-karma-exclusive-idUSKCN1PO1AN

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Good for Bezos.

That said, I would pay money NOT to see nude photos of Bezos.

What does Peckr have to say for himself? What is Trump offering him?

7 Likes Save    
maddie260

Just a random thought: what "stable genius" thought it was a good idea to pick a fight with the richest man in the world? It will be something if Bezos brings this house of cards down!

13 Likes Save    
Lily613

Good for Bezos. That's why he's the richest man in the world. Rachel made it quite clear. Pecker is a tRump lover and covered up all the sleazy things tRump did while putting pictures of a dying Hillary on the cover. So he wasn't going to be proesecuted if he kept clean for three years and he didn't so now the s...hits the fan. And this all goes back to tRumps hatred of the Post which Bezo now owns. He's soooo jelaous that Bezo could buy and sell him a gazillion times over. The POST will really get you now, orange boy.

2 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Saudi collusion.

7 Likes Save    
how2girl

Mob tactics - good luck trying to blackmail Jeff Bezos. Do these people think he got where he is because he’s stupid.

10 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

This whole thing is so stunning and so far out there. Yet apparently it's SOP for trump and his ilk.

Someone said on one of the talk shows yesterday, thieves think everyone steals.

7 Likes Save    
GOD

National Enquirer... a big trump supporter

2 Likes Save    
leona_2008

Good on Bezos! I would love to see Picker go to jail and the NE disintegrate. Let the association with trump, the Saudis and whomever else be brought to light in the process. To my knowledge Bezos pretty much ignored trump's bullying up to this point but refused to be blackmailed. This is going to be fun to watch.

6 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

15 Likes Save    
MissMyGardens

What's so stunning is people actually put their threats in writing with no hesitation and leave a trail right back to a corporate entity. Imagine how many times they've pulled this on other people who didn't have the resources available to Bezos.

On a side note...when will people just stop sending photos they only want seen by the intended recipient? OMG, just hide them in the cereal box or something!

It's all vulnerable to hacking or some kind of interception in this day and age by private or governmental sources especially with such a well known wealthy target.

7 Likes Save    
chase_gw

Looks good on the NE......but man were they stupid.

This is how crooks get caught. They are so arrogant, think they are so smart and above it all , that they do really stupid things.......and that is what will bring Trump down, something really stupid.

8 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Lol Dandy, too easy! Maybe Trump should have invited him to the SOTU for having a bad name.

2 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

Thank you, Jeff!

How stupid of the NE.

1 Like Save    
dandyfopp

Holy moly LOL

3 Likes Save    
leona_2008

lol, ann_t. Almost writes itself, huh?

2 Likes Save    
d_gw

I guess this makes me an old lady but I do not understand the allure of d pics.

16 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Now it's pile on time!

Ronan Farrow said Thursday that he and “at least one other prominent journalist” who had reported on the National Enquirer and President Trump received blackmail threats from the tabloid’s parent company, American Media Inc., over their work.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/02/08/ronan-farrow-says-he-was-also-blackmail-target-after-reporting-national-enquirer-trump/?fbclid=IwAR05jCEclvnzvLBxuyPbzszMIXcjcrWv9NJ2oaFZGWvMETm74bkjIES6T08&utm_term=.aa11f705356c

9 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

good.

ETA from Bezos post: (On that point, numerous people have contacted our investigation team
about their similar experiences with AMI, and how they needed to
capitulate because, for example, their livelihoods were at stake.)

3 Likes Save    
blfenton

I don't watch late night tv - did this stuff make it to there or was it too late in the news. "Cause man, they will have a field day with this stuff.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy
2 Likes Save    
GOD

Borrowed:

What's screamingly funny is the notion that Donald J. Trump would think that marital infidelity could, would, and should destroy someone's life and career.

16 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

When I go grocery shopping tomorrow, I am buying me an extra large bag of popcorn. This is going to be fun. I think Pecker met his match.

1 Like Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Even Sif and I have an agreement.

1 Like Save    
how2girl

Gotcha...

By using Medium to reveal The Enquirer’s backstage maneuvers, Mr. Bezos — one of the world’s most powerful tech titans and the owner of one of the country’s most influential newspapers — showed the best means of communications can be a simple blog post.

Sometimes rambling — while also showing the occasional flair of tabloid columnists of yore — the Bezos post pulled together random strands of the yearlong legal drama involving the president, American Media and the allegedly illegal payments to women.

That federal inquiry resulted in a guilty plea from Mr. Trump’s former attorney and fixer, Michael D. Cohen, who said he had paid Ms. Daniels $130,000 and asked American Media to pay Ms. McDougal $150,000 at the president’s direction, to protect his election prospects.

Federal prosecutors with the Southern District of New York determined that the American Media payment was an illegal corporate contribution. Because the company cooperated with prosecutors, the authorities did not bring charges. But they made American Media sign onto a non-prosecution agreement, in which it affirmed that it had made the payment to “influence the election.”

That agreement, signed in September, stipulated that A.M.I. “shall commit no crimes whatsoever” for three years, and that if it did, “A.M.I. shall thereafter be subject to prosecution for any federal criminal violation of which this office has knowledge.”

If American Media’s threat to publish the personal photos of Mr. Bezos is determined to have been criminal, it would find its deal with federal prosecutors in jeopardy.

“One thing we can be certain of is these allegations will be looked at hard by the federal prosecutors,” said Jeff Tsai, a former federal prosecutor. “The nature of that non-prosecution agreement — to not commit any crimes — was to give A.M.I. the opportunity to really think hard about the nature of its practices.”

7 Likes Save    
forreal

Good for Bezos! It does make one wonder how many other times they've done this and gotten what they wanted. When you think about it, it's their SOP. We know they pay for stories so they can kill the story. Sounds like they also want to be paid (with favors, not $$) to kill stories.

I agree with blfenton. Mr. P may be in more trouble than he knew.

And, how unbelievably stupid do you have to be to put your threat in writing!?!? Makes one think they do this all the time and don't see why it's a problem (or illegal).

9 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

So what could cause Pecker to endanger himself this way?

It ain't love or loyalty for Donnie.

https://twitter.com/LincolnsBible

7 Likes Save    
how2girl

DT is insanely jealous of Mr Bezos, after all his net worth is just a rounding error in Bezos $’s

10 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

It goes without saying, Bezos actually has a successful business.....

7 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

A good Friday to be an American.

15 Likes Save    
mtnrdredux_gw

Sorry if it has been mentioned, but you gotta love this headline.

Bezos Exposes Pecker

You cannot make this stuff up. Who are they going to find to teach 7th graders American History without blushing, a generation from now?

8 Likes Save    
catticusmockingbird

Well, looks like this story has some real legs. Let's see where it goes.

6 Likes Save    
GOD

Prison?

9 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

He had an immunity agreement with US DOJ SDNY.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/12/federal-prosecutors-give-national-enquirer-publisher-immunity.html

AMI admitted it paid off McDougal to keep her from publicizing her
"damaging allegations" of having had a lengthy affair with Trump a
decade before the 2016 election, the prosecutors' office said.

The company also admitted "it made the $150,000 payment in concert with" Trump's campaign, according to the SDNY. [signed Sept 20, 2018]

From: Fine, Jon [jfine@amilink.com] (Deputy General Counsel, AMI)
Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 5:57 PM
To: Martin Singer (Mr de Becker’s attorney)
Subject: Re: EXTERNAL* RE: Bezos et al / American Media et al

Marty -

Here are our proposed terms:

1 Like Save    
terezosa / terriks

"It goes without saying, Bezos actually has a successful business....."

Which he started without a "million dollar" loan from his father.

6 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

I don't think the immunity agreement covers extortion, right?

2 Likes Save    
catticusmockingbird

A crime is a crime.

1 Like Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Under a Sept. 20 agreement with federal
prosecutors in New York, however, AMI was supposed to refrain from all
illegal activity for a three-year period, according to Bloomberg.
If the media company committed any crimes, it could be prosecuted for
the ones it was granted immunity against, including perjury and
obstruction of justice.

In New York,
blackmail and extortion are both a felony and punishable by time in
state prison. The emails from AMI that Bezos posted online purport to
release personal images if he did not “cease and desist such defamatory
conduct immediately.”

________
Anyone else enjoying the stench of petards in the breeze?

8 Likes Save    

@jerzeegirl to answer your question the immunity agreement would only cover the crimes that ami admitted to in their testimony. Included in that agreement was the clause that if Ami commits any new crimes within three years of signing the agreement, the agreement becomes void and they can be prosecuted for any and all crimes including the ones originally covered by the immunity agreement.

2 Likes Save    
terezosa / terriks

"however, AMI was supposed to refrain from all
illegal activity for a three-year period"

Wait, isn't everyone supposed to refrain from illegal activity??

11 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

LOL.
Especially if they have an immunity agreement involving perjury and obstruction of justice.

5 Likes Save    

maddie260

10 hours ago

Just a random thought: what "stable genius" thought it was a good idea to pick a fight with the richest man in the world?

---------

A stable genius who knows the Saudis are on side.

2 Likes Save    
blfenton

If Tom Clancy and Jackie Collins co-authored a book....

13 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

With Mario Puzo.

7 Likes Save    
Lily613

All roads lead to tRump and the enormous band of criminals who work for and with him. Pecker is a sleaze bag and now hopefully will face prison along with tRump and Greasy Jr.

2 Likes Save    

The foreign press will have grand old time with this story.

The corruption within Trump & Co. rivals that of any despot in the developing world.

Trump and Peckr -- joined at the hip.

Inquiring minds would like to know what Peckr received for his help -- inept as it may have been.

7 Likes Save    
Kathy

https://observer.com/2019/02/jeff-bezos-national-enquirer-spy-scandal/

explicit pictures were sent and captured by AMI

1 Like Save    
purr mich 7_

Rachel went thru this last night. AMI cannot commit any crimes - doesn't have to be related to what they got immunity for - and if they do then all that was discovered during the immunity deal can be prosecuted.

Sorry if this has already been posted.

3 Likes Save    
purr mich 7_

yes!! :)

1 Like Save    
dandyfopp

Pecker in a pinch.

3 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

The mind boggles and reels.

2 Likes Save    
writersblock(9b/10a)

Returning to the original topic, AMI says, "Did not. So there."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47176289

Save    
Stan Areted

catticusmockingbird

A crime is a crime.

So glad someone admitted that!

Improper entry by alien is a CRIME and should be enforced.

After all, "a crime is a crime."

8 U.S. Code § 1325.Improper entry by alien

(a)Improper time or place; avoidance of examination or inspection; misrepresentation and concealment of facts

Any alien who (1) enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers, or (2) eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers, or (3) attempts to enter or obtains entry to theUnited States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a material fact, shall, for the first commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than 6 months, or both, and, for a subsequent commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18, or imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.

Save    
d_gw

BREAKING: AP sources: Federal prosecutors probing whether National Enquirer's handling of Bezos story violated cooperation deal.

5 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Is it happy hour already? Trying to decide between inebriation and confusion.

10 Likes Save    

I thought inebriation was confusion?

Or maybe I'm always confused, sober or not.

4 Likes Save    

My first reading of the emails left me with the impression that AMI thought they were in a negotiation.

The problem is, to be in a negotiation both parties must have something the other wants. In this case, what AMI seems to want is for Washington Post's negative coverage of Trump and the National Enquirer to go away. And they can offer nothing in return except "we won't embarrass you." That's not actually negotiation. That is in fact blackmail.

And as Bezos says in that blogpost

[Be assured, no real journalists ever propose anything like what is happening here: I will not report embarrassing information about you if you do X for me. And if you don’t do X quickly, I will report the embarrassing information.]

Save    
dandyfopp

Question is.. what did Bezos find that Pecker was so desperate to hide?

1 Like Save    
dandyfopp
2 Likes Save    
Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real

I hope Bezos's team nails the Saudis. Imagine a Two-for-One special with the Saudis and Trump wrapped up together- all courtesy of a lunatic who puts his threats to the richest man on earth in writing.

12 Likes Save    

The only way you would put those threats in writing is if you knew beyond a doubt that your friends are more powerful than his.

1 Like Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Or hubris.

1 Like Save    
elvis

dandyfopp

Question is.. what did Bezos find that Pecker was so desperate to hide?

"Pecker"? Seriously?

Considering the topic, that's funny! Like Anthony Wiener.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Or common practice...apparently threatening people is their SOP.

Doesn't mueller have access to the safe filled with stuff p*cker has on people including what he had on his transactions with trump including hush money payments? These guys on Mueller's team must be dying to let some of this dirt out....

1 Like Save    
davidrt28 (zone 7)

This is a really interesting story. I only had time to read about half of this thread, but does anyone else wonder if the whole thing could be a clever 'rope a dope' kind of ruse? In other words, Bezos himself let the compromising photos get leaked through a channel he knew would fall into Pecker's hands?

Save    
dockside_gw

they can be prosecuted for any and all crimes including the ones originally covered by the immunity agreement.

The above should be corrected to add the word "federal" between "all" and "crimes." I don't think it matters, however. Extortion is undoubtedly part of RICO prosecutions.

3 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

AMI lawyer claims it was a negotiation not blackmail. If anyone believes this I'll bake them a cake.

1 Like Save    
MissMyGardens

Surprise...or not. Another Trump creep and friends.

[The Daily Beast reported
Sunday that sources within the National Enquirer’s parent company AMI
said that it had acquired racy texts and photos sent between Amazon
owner Jeff Bezos and his mistress Lauren Sanchez from Sanchez’s
pro-Trump brother.]

[Michael Sanchez, who is known to have connections with several Trump
associates, had already been under suspicion as the source of the leaks.]

[According to the Daily Beast, Sanchez, a Hollywood talent manager and
acquaintance of Roger Stone, Carter Page, and Scottie Nell Hughes,
believed the Enquirer published its story on Bezos’ affair with
“President Trump’s knowledge and appreciation.” According to the
documents the Daily Beast reviewed, Sanchez also thought Republican
operatives “who THINK Jeff gets up every morning and has a WaPo meeting
to plot its next diabolical attack on President Trump” played a part in
encouraging the Enquirer’s actions. According to the Washington Post,
Sanchez said he’d heard from people at AMI that the Enquirer was in the
middle of “a takedown to make Trump happy.”]

Save    

Shoot now I want cake.

2 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

I make a delicious Mandarin Orange Cake. Yum.

2 Likes Save    

It's my birthday soon... :-D

1 Like Save    
petalique

Maybe it was the Saudis (or
other "states") using KARMA iphone hacking software.

You can read about it here:

Exclusive:
UAE used cyber super-weapon to spy on iPhones of foes | Reuters

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-spying-karma-exclusive-idUSKCN1PO1AN

<<WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A
team of former U.S. government intelligence operatives working for the United
Arab Emirates hacked into the iPhones of activists, diplomats and rival foreign
leaders with the help of a sophisticated spying tool called Karma, in a
campaign that shows how potent cyber-weapons are proliferating beyond the
world’s superpowers and into the hands of smaller nations. ...

Save    

I'm still gobsmacked that the richest man on the planet would send a d___ pix to his mistress -- what was he thinking???

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

Nancy he was thinking with the thing he sent a picture of.......

3 Likes Save    
Save    

Great quote!

A couple billion might improve someone's evaluation though.

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular The Inevitable Future of Drones Around Your Home
As Google joins the push for airborne deliveries, it seems only a matter of time before neighborhoods are buzzing with drones. Is that OK?
Full Story
SK Interiors designer Susan Kuehhas combines over 15 years experience in Fine Arts, Interior Design and Business.... Read More