SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moneymm

Refinish or Replace Travertine with Hardwood Flooring

moneymm
5 years ago

Buying a home that has Brazilian Cherry Wood Floor throughout. They all need to be sanded down, and we are going to restain them a brown color.

The Foyer/Kitchen has a 1/2" thick 18"x18" white travertine flooring with radiant heat under it. If it didnt have radiant heat under it, I would def say it had to go, cause we hate, hate hate, cold tile floors.

so we were thinking of keeping it. a Floor refinishing guy, said he could hone it down, sand it to a like new finish, then polish them up. he would fill any cracks and it would be good to go. it costs 1700 bucks.

Replacing the flooring with brazilian cherry hardwood to match the rest of the house would probably cost me 7500.

another benefit of replacing would be there is a 1-1/2" step down off the kitchen floor into the other rooms.

cant decide what to do, hate to get rid of a valuable floor, i dont know how we would like living with it, we have only ever had hardwood floors in our house.

We are likely remodeling the kitchen a bit, new counters, new appliances, backsplash. maybe refinishing the cabinets. if we are going to address the floor this is the time.

Comments (25)