Too salty pork tenderloin!

nancyjane_gardener

I love pork tenderloin, but the store I usually get it only had one! Marinated!

It turned out to be so salty I could only eat a few bites! (I'm very salt sensitive!)

We still have about 1/2 lb to use up. Any ideas? It was very tender and perfectly cooked!

SaveComment20Like
Comments (20)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Martha Scott

I don't like any pork tenderloin that has flavor on it -- I want plain!!!! I'll season myself -- for the reason you stated.

Save    
lindac92

Seems a shame....but pork fried rice....and don't salt the rice!!

2 Likes Save    
elba1

Maybe shred it and mix it with some homemade BBQ sauce where you don't add salt as an ingredient?

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Yeah, I would add smaller portions per person to a grain/veg dish without any added salt. You could also soak in water for a few hours (in the fridge) then rinse and soak in milk a few hours. That should remove most of the salt as I doubt it penetrated far into the meat. Or just try soaking one thick slice as an experiment.

Marcella has a pork simmered in milk dish so not necessarily far off. I soak my salt cod in milk and is not at all salty after soaking, rinsing, soaking.

Save    
fawnridge (Ricky)

You're not going to get the salt out of the pork. Those pre-marinated ones have been in that solution, in the cryovac for weeks, perhaps months.

1 Like Save    
jerzeegirl

What is the flavor of the current marinade?

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Oh that might be true. I bet they inject right through it. Yuk. I've never purchased pre-seasoned anything so I was thinking 'store marinated' as if just a few hours or overnight like my butcher does. Still don't buy it or their sausage after a big bbq where no one would eat it...salt lick.

Save    
Jasdip

Like Ricky said, anything stating "seasoned or enhanced" on the package has been injected with a salt brine. I was talking to the butcher yesterday and he said that this practice started years ago in pork, as most people over-cooked pork and it was dry. This kept some moisture in the pork and now of course it's used in chicken.

Save    
Sherry

You can get meat in the cyrovac that has not been seasoned or enhanced, but you have to read the label carefully. I too made that mistake once. Once is usually all it takes, unless you like your food extremely salty.

I would probably make soup with the leftovers, being sure to leave out any added salt.

1 Like Save    
chloebud

That preseasoned marinated stuff is almost always too salty. I like linda92's suggestion.

Save    
fawnridge (Ricky)

Even the "plain" ones have a salt solution. If you want unsalted pork you have to go to a butcher. I only buy the plain ones and wash them off in cold water before prepping. Then, whatever dry rub or marinade you use, make sure it has no salt.

Save    
Sherry

Ricky, No mine do not. The ingredients list on the ones I buy say "pork" or "chicken". That is all.

2 Likes Save    
nancyjane_gardener

Thanks for the suggestions! I've always bought the un-marinated ones in the past, but they only had the one marinated one! Never again!

Save    
fawnridge (Ricky)

Sherry, unless you are really lucky, if you read the cryovac label you'll probably find something about a salt solution. The butcher at the local Sprouts sold me some tenderloins that were not brined, but they were also the most expensive pieces of pork I've ever bought.

Save    
Sherry

No, they do not have the salt solution. The ones at Kroger's do, but I do not buy meat a Kroger's. That is why I said to read carefully. In general, the cheaper the meat, the more likely they are to use salt. They may disguise it by saying "enhanced" or "broth", but it is salt.

Save    
nancyjane_gardener

Well, I've got a lentil soup/stew in the instant pot with onion,carrots,celery,garlic, diced tomatoes, low salt chicken broth, kale, a pinch each of cumin and red pepper flakes. We'll see!

Save    
nancyjane_gardener

It as perfect!

2 Likes Save    
yeonassky

Glad you find found a way to offset the saltiness. I love soup!

I would make a shepherd's pie out of it if I could eat it at all. No other spices. Lots and lots of potatoes with unsalted butter should be able to manage the salty pork flavour.

I notice the salt in most meats nowadays and my migraines tell me it must have some MSG in it. Can't eat any meat unless it is completely salt free.

Save    
nancyjane_gardener

yeonassky, We go to Outback once a year for my hubby's BD and I always end up sneezing and wheezing after I go there! (I have a lot of allergies)

I asked if they use MSG and they said no.

I did find out you can ask for no "finishing salt", but their meat (and most big time eateries) have their meats brined.

Love soup also, but will never buy the "marinated" pork again! Nancy

Save    
yeonassky

Nancy I read that they don't even really know that they are buying salt mixed with flavour enhancers ie msg in restaurants everywhere. The seller doesn't even have to list small amounts of MSG. For people like me that means avoiding everything just about. I react if they put their salt mixtures on my food no matter how small an amount right away.

Sorry you have allergies. My sister is miserable with them all the time. She has food allergies and dust and animal and pollen allergies. No relief for her most of the time.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life 5 Home Cooks Share Their Favorite Family Recipes
Peek inside the kitchens of these Houzz users and learn how to cook their time-tested, passed-down dishes
Full Story
Gardening 101 8 Surefire Vegetables and Herbs for Beginning Urban Gardeners
Learn the edible plants that are popular and easy to grow in a backyard or container garden
Full Story
Kitchen Design 9 Places to Put the Microwave in Your Kitchen
See the pros and cons of locating your microwave above, below and beyond the counter
Full Story
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More