SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

OT - Catch 22 between "drought tolerant" and "fire safe" plantings

jacqueline9CA
5 years ago

The town I live in has just proposed that the fire safe regulation/law on the books that previously only applied to the "wild / urban interface" properties (it turned out that in our town that means all hilly areas) be extended to "100% of the buildings" in the town. This, of course, is in response to the horrific fires in Napa/Sonoma in 2017, and the even more horrific fires in Northern CA in 2018.

These regulations basically require that only very low, "well irrigated" plantings (an example they give is lawns no more than 3 inches high!) be directly near the buildings, all trees be limbed up to 8 feet, etc. etc. The regulations specifically make any bamboo or juniper plantings ILLEGAL, and stress that plants full of resins be avoided, because they are so flammable. Also to be avoided are any sort of dry grasses.

However, the water district, in response to mandates from the State regarding droughts, has already promulgated other regulations re restricting water use, and encouraging "drought tolerant" plants such as ornamental tall dry grasses, plants containing plenty of resins (which is what makes them drought tolerant), etc. So, as these two sets of regulations conflict exactly (the only place where I can find that they overlap as regarding allowed plants is cactus and some other succulents), my plan is to choose to obey the fire safe regulations, and ignore the water use ones (happy to pay for the extra water). Is it not more important to stop fires which killed over 100+ people in the past 2 years and destroyed over 7,000 homes? Our area has not burned in generations, and the experts say it is ripe for that sort of catastrophic fire. It is not funny, but it is a classic bureaucratic "Catch 22", which I am hoping will give gardeners the ability to continue to irrigate their gardens, ("well irrigated" is the Fire Department's favorite phrase!). The Fire Chief told me roses and other "green" (meaning full of water, not the other use of the word) were fine if they were at least 10 feet away from the house. Hmmm, now I have to figure out what to do with all of the climbers on the house - the Fire Department calls that "cultivated bio mass" (I am NOT making this up - don't you love bureaucracies?).

Jackie

Comments (18)