SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christopher_cnc

Witch Hazels On A Warm February Day

Christopher CNC
5 years ago

They are out there.

I am growing three cultivars of Witch Hazel, Hamamelis x intermedia. Shown are 'Arnold's Promise' and 'Jelena'. 'Diane' is missing. All but one were grown from second year grafts in one gallon pots. They range in the garden age from two years to six possibly. I am a zone 6 in the mountains of WNC at 4000' elevation. My growing season is short.

I think Witch Hazels are an underutilized shrub. They are handsome upright shrubs in the summer, 10 to 15 foot range with room and age, have great fall color and bloom in the dead of winter. Many are fragrant. They are wonderful specimen plants and make great focal points in the winter garden.

All mine came from Monrovia which is a fine place to read more about them. https://plants.monrovia.com/search?w=hamamelis%20x%20intermedia

'Arnold's Promise' is very fragrant.

I like them so much I planted a couple more next to one of my roadside attractions. I will be having competing focal points right smack up against my curb to appeal to the people passing by. One day they will be really big.

Comments (23)