SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1929spanishgw

Back to the topic of losing our furry best friends...

1929Spanish-GW
5 years ago

So we lost our beloved challenging Yorkie January 5th. I'm heartbroken. She was with us 14 years, the last four fighting kidney disease. I probably love my animals more than my people. Always have. They forgive me.

But back to the beginning. She was a rescue who bounced five times before coming to me. She was a mess - possessive, fearful and lost. She loved me immediately. She hated everyone - only in the last few years she began to branch out and give affection to our friends and family. I think she was just tired and losing her moxy as her toxin levels went up.

I've never had a problem dog before, but I worked hard to train her. We exercised like crazy - walking off a lot of stress. She sat and stayed until told to eat, heeled when we walked and knew her commands well. She freaked out when confined at all whether it was a kennel or half the house, but once she had full run of the place, she was never bad. We never got her past yelling at us for attention, comfortable going into another room when she was overstimulated and totally trustworthy around people she didn't know and accept.

So, now we're talking about what to do next. I work from home and travel quite a bit for work. I hate not having a dog. DH gets that and misses one too. We still have to decide what and when we want to do. That will be a decision we make together. It won't be me convincing him to get one.

So there's this troubled Yorkie up for adoption. She was an owner surrender, so they know the history. She sounds like our pup in that she wasn't socialized well and doesn't know what's expected of her.

On one hand, I know I'm the right person for this kind of case (if not necessarily this dog) where other people with tiny dogs won't put in the work to make them happy and better behaved. On the other hand, I kept saying I wanted an easy one next time.

So what would you do? When I ask that, I don't necessarily mean go out and get THIS dog but do you take a troubled dog because you've been successful or give yourself a break and get a laid back dog cuz you want to?

Comments (49)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH