Sirens..........

Lucille

These were creatures in Greek mythology that lured sailors with their beautiful voices and the sailors would perish jumping overboard because they would do anything to get to the sirens.

I recently bought a package of frozen mini cream puffs and they have been calling to me. Nuff said.

SaveComment29Like15
Comments (29)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eld6161

Life is too short to not enjoy a cream puff.

Thanks for reminding me, they have them at Costco!

Sharing treats, I bought a box of Linzer Tortes. DH's favorite. I am only having one a day.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Lucille
amylou321

Ha! I recently encountered the new "most stuf" oreos. The little devils.

I PUT THEM BACK ON THE SHELF!!!! (Briefly)

6 Likes Save     Thanked by Lucille
dexx215

Cream puffs are good with chocolate sauce drizzled over them. Got to get to Costco!

DawnInCal

Were you influenced by Glenda and her cream puffs on the pie thread, Lucille?

Haagen Daaz was on sale a couple of weeks ago, and before I could do anything, two of the little dickens leaped into my cart. Once at home in the freezer they kept calling to me. Of course, I could not ignore their call. Sadly, they are no more and there will be no more sirens for me in the foreseeable future unless my willpower fails me again!

marilyn_c

I bought some yesterday, too, Lucille. I always try to eat whatever I have a craving for....believe it or not, it has helped me lose weight. When you want a miniature cream puff, all the celery sticks in the world won't do.

7 Likes Save     Thanked by Lucille
cooper8828

Girl Scouts shortbread cookies called to me today. I answered.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Lucille
mama goose_gw zn6OH

For me, it's kettle-cooked potato chips, but cream puffs will work, too.

Winter

Boy! Am I sorry I opened this thread! LOL

schoolhouse_gw

Today while shopping for groceries I stopped by the Bakery dept. and bought one creme stick, one apple fritter, and a raised sugared donut. The creme stick is gone, had that with coffee as soon as I got home. : )

Lucille

Were you influenced by Glenda and her cream puffs on the pie thread, Lucille?

Glenda is a positive role model for a lot of things but yes, I craved cream puffs after seeing her post. Mine are from HEB and unfortunately they have been too loud and their voices like the sirens too beautiful and over several days most have been eaten.

3 Likes Save    
socks

A package of 5 cookies at Trader Joe's called to me. I put them in the cart, circled around and put them back. One would think I could eat one a day, but I'm just kidding myself with that idea.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Lucille
sweet_betsy No AL Z7

You people are positively bad. You made me want one of those pecan delights that are hidden in my drawer.

watchmelol

I don't really care for most pre-packaged sweets. I am more apt get cravings for BBQ or thick cut rare steaks.

The siren took over my vehicle last night and drove me to a an old fashioned drive-in where I was destined to have a bacon cheeseburger AND fries which normally I do not eat together. But it is one of the very few places that do fries right and they called to me. I avoid fries most places these days.

Like Marilyn I don't deprive myself. However if the food turns out to be disappointing I have no problem leaving it or throwing it out. That goes both for home cooking and eating out. No guilt. If it doesn't satisfy for any reason I don't eat it. If I want something when eating out and I fill up sooner than later I will not bring the leftovers home. The only exception would be a piece of meat like a part of a steak or an extra pork chop. I also go to one place that has very good soup. The portion is too large for me as a starter. I will decline it at the start of the meal and they pack it to go when I am ready to leave. I don't understand how people could scrape their plates in a to go container to eat later the same way I would be scraping plates into a disposal at home.

Fortunately if was after a day of working and riding so it didn't do any harm. I needed those extra fat calories I guess.

Save     Thanked by Lucille
joyfulguy

I don't have any compunction about scraping a plate.

When I worked in a hotel west of Edmonton, Alberta, on the highway going to Vancouver, and slept and ate there, the owner used to say that when I was through with a plate ... it was almost clean enough that she could put it out for another diner.

They had a gas-fired stove, always working, and when I'd put bread for toast into the broiler, and the staff asked why I didn't use the toaster, I said that'd use more power and the broiler was going. They'd ask what did I care, as I wasn't paying for it, and I said that it wasn't wise to use it when not necessary, regardless of who was paying for it.

Once when I'd left a slice in too long ... the owner brought the charcoalized slice out to me in a soup bowl - to everyone's amusement!

(More waste ... but I couldn't convince myself to eat it).

ole joyfuelled

glenda_al

These were the first cream puffs I made. They were for my friend's 85th birthday. Delicious, and was so surprised how easy they were to make. I did not put the raspberry topping on them. Big hit

cream puffs

Lucille

They sound delicious! My frozen cream puffs are finally quiet. Ate the last one.

2 Likes Save    
Raye Smith

I don't understand throwing away food from a restaurant unless you're traveling where it's not possible to preserve it. The serving sizes are so huge I rarely eat more than a quarter of any entree. Most of my meals could easily fit on a luncheon plate (with room to spare) or even a bread & butter plate. I get quite a laugh at the serving sizes on packaged items, they're much larger than I would or could ever eat. I get 4-6 portions out of the pint size of ice cream, I've heard people say they eat the entire pint in one sitting.... I'd explode.

Lucille

What a beautiful memory was just made. I used Glenda's linked recipe and made the cream puff shells this morning, when grand daughter came over she spooned in the cream filling, then the jam and powdered sugar. There was powdered sugar everywhere, lol. Then she carefully chose the 4 best ones and they were gently put in a container for her Mom who was working, and then with all the delicacy of a raptor tearing into living prey she ate her own cream puffs. Such a happy little face!!

7 Likes Save    
glenda_al

Lucille, wish we had a picture! How were they?

Lucille

For a first time effort they were good, and I'm sure they will be made more in the future. Thank you for the recipe!

1 Like Save    
aok27502

I laughed at the image of your GD eating her cream puffs.

We were on vacation in Florida last week, and I swear they have sirens on every light pole. We ate All. The. Food.

sealavender

When I was a student in Japan, my host mother had taken a baking class and made cream puffs. I had no idea one could do that at home. She made another batch for a friend's son who was hospitalized after an accident. She spiked the cream with brandy for him. I always think of that when I see/eat cream puffs.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Lucille
DawnInCal

That's definitely a sweet memory, Lucille.

The siren here tonight came in the form of a cheesecake I baked earlier today. Cold, snowy weather always makes me feel like baking!

jemdandy

Life is short, eat desert first!

Rusty

I grew up on a farm and we always had a LOT of milk, cream, eggs, etc. Cream puffs were a regular part of Sunday dinner, my mother made them every Sunday, with eggs from our own chickens, and filled them with real whipped cream, made with cream from our own cows. Sometimes on weekdays, she made chocolate eclairs, those were filled with a custard, or pudding type filling. Again, made from scratch from home grown eggs, milk, etc.

I'll never forget the first time I made cream puffs for my husband, he'd never had them before. He told me I didn't need to make them again, he didn't know 'how to eat them', said they were too messy. That was probably 45 or so years ago. Now I'm hungry for one, guess I'll have to make some again.

Rusty

Raye Smith

Rusty, that sounds so delicious. I too, had fresh, homemade cream puffs and eclairs as a child. I'm baffled by the "too messy", my fork will make sure that plate is clean as clean can be!

Save    
skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

Blood oranges. They're only available here for a short time right now. Pricey, but worth it. Delish.

Save    
Rusty

" I'm baffled by the "too messy", my fork will make sure that plate is clean as clean can be!"

I'm sitting here chuckling about that comment. In my world, both growing up and now, cream puffs and eclairs are definitely 'finger food'!

Rusty

1 Like Save    
watchmelol

I love cream puffs and especially chocolate eclairs. But only if they are filled with real whipped cream. Custard belongs in Napoleans or filled donuts in my opinion. But the above need whipped cream.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Townhouses Houzz Tour: A London Townhouse Seduces With Luxury
By Houzz
Sensuous materials, glossy accents and nods to a screen siren make for a sumptuous home in Notting Hill
Full Story
Life To-Dos: Your April Home Checklist
Take advantage of spring’s warmer weather to spruce up your outdoor spaces and refresh your entryway and common living areas
Full Story
Outdoor Accessories Splurge of the Week: The Kamado Grill
These Unique Grills Look as Good on the Outside as What's Cooking Inside
Full Story