SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angcando

Please help me finally decide yay or nay regarding wood flooring

angcando
5 years ago

(I posted this several hours ago, but it never appeared. So I hope this won't end up being a duplicate thread.)

We've been considering replacing our very old carpeting with wood flooring for a few years now, but we have some concerns we haven't yet answered. Our home is a single story house on a concrete slab, in the Sacramento, CA area.

Our biggest concern is relative humidity. I've been tracking it twice daily now for over a year. The most common RH range I've seen required by manufactures of engineered wood flooring is 30% - 50%. We're ok on the low end, but definitely spend quite a lot of time over 50%. In fact, as you can see from the graph below, there have even been a few times we've gone over 60%. And I know before I started keeping track of it, there was one week a few years ago where it was in the 65% range. Add to those readings 1% or 2%, because they have been taken in the driest room. Usually the corresponding indoor temp for these periods of high humidity is in the mid 60s, though there have been a few times when it's been as high as 80F and 50%+ humidity. There are also times in the summer when our indoor RH is in the mid 40s, along with an indoor temp in the mid or even upper 80s.

That's really the most concern we have, but a minor issue is yellowing. We prefer light wood, but over the years everything we've had in wood (cabinets, furniture, bed frames) always yellow over time (due to UV, I assume). Are there coatings or wood species or something that are immune (or at least, less prone) to yellowing? Or would we going to get yellowing regardless of what we select?

Thanks!

Comments (12)