SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

$5,000 to demo TINY bath - outrageous?

We are in the early stages of planning our master bath remodel and had our first contractor, who is affiliated with a design-build firm we are considering, come out to take a look. He sent over a proposal that I found rather overpriced in general, but one line item that REALLY stuck out was demolition. The bathroom in question is TINY, 6x6 minus a bit, and only 2 sides of a 36x36 shower and the floor are tiled - the rest is just drywall. In addition, we would be demoing the wall between the bath and master closet (6', not load bearing) and replacing the closet doors and trim (so some additional disposal there, but not really a lot of demo work - I could remove the doors myself!).

Am I insane to think that $5,000 to demo this bath is completely ludicrous? His entire quote was overpriced IMO ($35,000 not including shower glass, vanity, tiles or any other fixtures) but the demo seemed particularly insane. We do live in a HCOLA, but when I had my (larger, with plaster walls) bath in Queens remodeled 12 years ago, I paid around $12,000 for the ENTIRE job, including tiles/fixtures. Obviously, we are going to get quotes from other contractors, but I would really appreciate a reality check on pricing (if I need one). We were hoping to do this bathroom INCLUDING fixtures for under $25,000, and if that is really out of line then it may just have to wait!

Comments (5)