SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eve_fairbanks

What wall paint color would go with this unusual living room?

Eve
5 years ago

I love elements of our living room (it was my boyfriend's; moved in a year ago), but the wall paint color feels like a mismatch--too green/slime-colored with what feels like a weird yellow undertone. I was thinking of a white or very pale grey with a slight red undertone, like Dulux's Java Cream or Treacle Tart 1/4, to match the tones in the red Moroccan carpet. But is that the right direction to go in? And should the pressed ceiling be the same color as the walls?

I'm hoping to replace the metal industrial-style pendant at some point, and we are going to reorient the furniture, but much of what is in here has great meaning to my partner. I know it may look cluttered to some eyes but the large paintings, books, and pillows can't leave.

The window is north-facing, which functions as south-facing since I'm in South Africa. I also only have access to Dulux and Plascon paints, no BM or Sherwin Williams, sadly.

DAYLIGHT:

NIGHT TIME:

Comments (43)

• V K
    5 years ago

What a lovely room! In my opinion, it would be a shame to lose the contrast of the white fireplace and ceiling, so a color on the walls would be preferable to white. A warm grey to compliment the rug sounds good, or you could pull a warm tone from one of the art pieces.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago

yes I agree warm color would be great.

• PRO
  • Eve
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ooh, liking #1, 4, and 5, celerygirl! What colors (ish) are those?

• Eve
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, Anglophilia. De gustibus. Maybe what feels off to me isn't quite the wall color but the fact that the furniture isn't totally functionally arranged. There's no other seat close enough to the couch for conversation and the main bookshelf is actually in the lower right corner where you can't see, but its access is blocked by a loveseat.

• IdaClaire
    5 years ago

I like your current color better than any of those in the above mockups. It's really, really pretty to my eye, and sets the decor off beautifully. Such an interesting room. I wish we saw more like this here!

Eve thanked IdaClaire
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

I agree with all who say the color is perfect. It complements the reds well, and the whole space feels carefully curated. If the arrangement seems off, work on that first--maybe the chair needs to move closer to the sofa, or perhaps a larger round coffee table would connect the seating more.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I tried what you mentioned ( two last pic) Dulux's Java Cream ( lighter) and Treacle Tart 4 ( peachy)

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Try a larger round coffee table to connect the sofa to the chair.

• cawaps
    5 years ago

I don't dislike the current color except that I don't think it is playing well with the fireplace. Is the fireplace painted? If so I think changing its color could make the room look more harmonious. But if you really don't like the green, I do like the warmer colors Celerygirl posted, especially the last two.

Eve thanked cawaps
  • Eve
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Huh--I will rethink my idea to change it! Yes cawaps--the fireplace is painted. I agree that it's not right, but it was a very dark red before and that didn't look great, either. Any thoughts on what would work there?

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

The fireplace does look a bit pink. A creamier color would probably improve it.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Here's the fireplace painted a creamier color. Keep in mind that any red undertone will be emphasized by the green walls, so be sure to check samples of paint in the actual room.

• Eve
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks groveraxle--by that do you mean that I should *not* look for a red undertone in the paint, but rather yellow? I was worried about introducing anything yellowy to the room.

Not a pale grey?

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Yes, look for a cream with no red undertone. A yellow undertone will be more harmonious with the green.

• cawaps
    5 years ago

I was thinking to match the fireplace with the ceiling, but I think that might be too stark at eye level. Maybe Grover or Celerygirl could image that for you.

When you look at "cream" paints, they don't all have the same undertones. Some read as quite yellow, but not all. I'm not familiar with Dulux paints, but poking around their site, something like Candlelit Beige or Sugar Soap look warm, but not overly yellow.

• User
    5 years ago

I think that is a very pretty room as is. And I love his "collections". You are a lucky girl :-)

Eve thanked User
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

I agree with the others, that green is a keeper. Yes, to "neutralizing" the fireplace. Perhaps a candidate for the pale grey you had in mind? Beautifully interesting room. Love the art and the books! (You lost me at north-facing window serving as... - got it now: you just mean it's incredibly sunny and bright.)

• Nicole R Dsp
    5 years ago
    Such an interesting and intriguing fireplace! I dig that green, it’s the fireplace that throws it though, reads really pink on my phone at least. Is it raw stone or painted?
  • Eve
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Nicole, it's actually just molded cement. It was painted dark red/brown when I moved in. Do you think that dark tone looked better? I thought I'd lighten up the room by painting it lighter, but didn't pick quite the right shade.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

I think your instinct to lighten the fireplace was right. (What happened to the giraffe?)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I like the wall color as ir the only thing I would change is that really huge book shelf that takes up space visually for no real reason you could get a sapien book shelf for him as a gift

• Eve
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yeah I agree Patricia. We're on a super tight budget but that's definitely a good idea. Is there anything I can do with that "rustic trestle shelf"? I hate to throw stuff away and there is not a resale market for used furniture where I live (South Africa). It kind of stinks though--bulky and unstable.

• Eve
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The giraffe is one of those objects I'd put there ... then a few days later it'd been moved back to its out-of-the-way spot behind a couch ... I'd put it back there ... it'd mysteriously go away again ... you know those objects? I got the message, though looking at it in the pic it's really cute there. I'm sure if I just told my partner I'd like it there it'd be fine, but I swear, communication-wise, sometimes men are like cats.

• djb10
    5 years ago
    I like the color of your current paint and also the fireplace. I think the mismatch pillows on the couch are an issue. Why not use pillows that match and complement the fireplace color? Also, there’s too much space being taken by the A frame book shelf. I’d prefer to see a sofa chair in its place.
    Eve thanked djb10
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

:) That giraffe is hella cute! I don't mind the trestle shelf (all I see are BOOKS! :D). Maybe it can fit against one of the walls rather than be angled? Otherwise, repurposed elsewhere for plants? Though you said it's unstable. Hmm.

Eve thanked tartanmeup
  • Eve
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks. Another issue with the room is that my partner would like to use it to listen to music. He has high-end speakers and speaker stands (seen on the right), but he would ideally like to put a recliner he loves on the right by the window and have the speakers on the left facing the chair (we might have to use the sofa). Here's the recliner--it's teal and I think it might make this room feel bananas!! But he loves it. Thoughts?

• Eve
    Original Author
    5 years ago

djb10, like this? (I just turned our pillows over.) I can't tell if it makes the room look more boring.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

I'm a fan of rooms that feel like bananas so I might be wrong person to ask. :P Add a touch of teal elsewhere in the room? Honestly, to me, a room with some quirks that is lived in and used to appreciate books and music is a room that sings. What drives me more bananas is a room where everything is "just so" and sterilized of a homeowner's personality. Decorated with a formula. Look at your space. Beautiful bones (that ceiling and floor!), gorgeous natural light, art, books, music, vintage cameras....I mean, you guys have interests that make you interesting people, I'm sure. I can think of worse things in a home than a comfortable teal chair in which to recline and listen to music on quality speakers. :)

Eve thanked tartanmeup
  • Eve
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I like that, tartanmeup. When someone came to our house recently she remarked the room with the nicest feel was the "man cave," which is also the most random and un-curated, but it's very lived in. My partner is a photographer and the B&W image above the fireplace is his :)

• Eve
    Original Author
    5 years ago

... you all were so very helpful on this thread and really cleared up my issue! If anyone has interest in checking out my one other question--we have a huge rock, native to the South African landscape, that can be viewed out our kitchen and back glass doors. But there's an eyesore cement shed right next to it and I'm trying to figure out how to paint that shed to make it a little nicer to look at and comforting on the eye. The post is here: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/what-patio-colors-would-look-good-when-viewed-from-our-interior-dsvw-vd~5602340

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Before even going to read that thread, I'll suggest "go away green". Probably not too dissimilar to this room's wall colour, either. :)

• Eve
    Original Author
    5 years ago

how weird!

• clt3
    5 years ago

Dulux Manila Tan looks like celerygirl’s last picture.

• Eve
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So to anyone who’s still looking at this - I came home and the room had been redesigned by my BF. He wanted his very nice speakers in a different spot. I think it looks a bit odd now! Any thoughts on what to do with the room?

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Enjoy it? :) I preferred the couch on the left wall (art could breathe) but as long as there's seating that allows for optimal music appreciation and conversation, what's wrong, really? Perhaps simply accept that this room will evolve with your needs and be an actual "living" room and not a "look-at-me-everything-is-in-a-perfect-spot" room?

Is there comfortable seating for everyone, a reachable spot for each person to set down a drink or a book? Navigable paths to seats and anything that needs futzing (e.g. curtains)? Yes? Well, bravo then. You have a functional living room. That's the primary goal room for the room.

If you're so inclined, keep tweaking the layout until you're both smiling but figure out why you think it looks odd now. It'll be easier to pinpoint what needs changing. For example, I'd prefer more symmetry on the fireplace wall and would want the art on that wall to be around the same size. I might also consider putting some books and records (?) on that wall (as long as they're reachable). Then again, I wouldn't want every wall covered because then the room feels a bit claustrophobic to me. Really depends on you. Regardless, it's obvious the art, books and music in your eclectic living room are meant to be enjoyed so bravo for that. :)

Eve thanked tartanmeup
  • cat_ky
    5 years ago

I agree with tartanmeup, it is a nice living room, that a person could sit down and be comfortable in. So many that are posted here, are so perfect, they have lost all personality, and look like no one ever uses them. I like color. Teal and red, do go well together, you may want to introduce a couple more pieces of the teal color throughout the room. I did like the fireplace better before you painted it, it just looks a bit too white and a bit too stark, right now, and really doesnt go with the rest of the room. I am not too fond of the low hanging pendent either, I would replace that with a ceiling fixture. However, all that said, stop worrying about it, its a very nice room, and a bit of color is always good.

• Ruth
    5 years ago

Hi, Eve - IMHO it is difficult to decorate when moving into an established/occupied space. I personally like the wall color but it is difficult to really ascertain its quality through a camera lens unless the color balance is spot on to what you are seeing in person throughout the day and evening. Couple of things jumped out at me. 1st: I would lower the art above the fireplace to about 6 inches above the mantle. Some of the books can cover part of the bottom border. 2nd: I would change the fireplace color to a more earthy cream - maybe even a white closer to the ceiling color (btw - love your ceilings.) I would definitely replace the pendant with much higher hung, larger fixture and if the current one has sentimental value it could be hung elsewhere. Love this space and wishing you the best in making it your home too.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

The shelves on the left wall make the room feel a bit cluttery. I wonder how they would look if they were reconfigured to fit on each side of the fireplace.

• Bette P
    5 years ago
    If the view out the window is nice, I would enjoy the new sofa spot. Correct the angle of the chairs so they are directed to the sofa. Wondering if you placed the two large art pieces below the niches. Add art above the FP that is about the size of the firebox opening. Maybe paint the chimney wall the same cream as your FP. Put the short white lamp on the sofa table. You have a floor lamp behind the teal chair, no need for a table lamp there. Another option, wondering if you broke up the wood bookshelves to flank the FP you could hide the speakers within or beside them. Is that another tall shelf unit beside it? Can you add another photo of that area while standing by the teal chair?
  • Bette P
    5 years ago
    Change out your ceiling fixture to something that lets light come through, on a dimmer if possible. IKEA.
  • Eve
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks all, great ideas. I’m lying on the brown couch now and enjoying it more than I did before, so perhaps I have to accept that I am NOT the masterful decorator in this partnership! :) My BF is an actual artist, so my wish to overrule his eye now feels like some kind of vaguely gendered thing. Agree the light fixture can be changed up, and the ideas for the art around the wall indentations are great.

Unfortunately the shelves can’t be by the fireplace, because that is now where the speakers go and due to reverb, or something, there can’t be books there. Currently there are white, black, and natural pine bookshelves, and perhaps I should paint them the same color—cream or something like BM antique pewter? I think I just need to have a big ol’ party in here!

I’d absolutely love to put a giant cactus in one of the currently dark, unused corners, but there is no way it would get enough light. Anybody have great success with a larger scale low light houseplant? I’ve tried mother-in-law’s tongue and dracaena marginata in lower light corners, but nothing is happy.