SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzhutchwem

Exposed Aggregate entry uncovered yesterday - NEED ADVICE ASAP

Suz
5 years ago

Overview - remodeling a mid century modern and after 2 days of hard labor removing 600 sq ft of 2' porcelain tile laid over a thick mud bath of 2.5", we discovered the original 12 x 12 entryway is exposed aggregate that has some yellowish/brown stain.

Original intention was to install 1600 sq ft of engineered hardwood throughout the main floor of the house (MBR, Kitchen, Dining, Living and entry). https://www.sawyermason.com/product/matte-hardwood-floors-sconset/

Dumpster is here until Monday and need to decide what to do on the exposed aggregate flooring:

1 - leave it and go over it with the engineered flooring (slight issue as it is slightly raised over the surrounding floors and the surface of the aggregate is bumpy and not perfectly level)

2 - remove it - super hard and I think might require some sort of jackhammer perhaps. (If you know how to do it or can estimate the time it will take - please inform) . We believe it is 1.5" thick and inset so the surface is almost level with the surrounding.

3 - leave it and clean it up somehow and try to restain it. I suspect that as it is original 1964 exposed aggregate, the finish will end up inconsistent. There is also damage to the floor as we used a 6' pry bar under the cement that was under the tiles... Guess a nice 11 x 11 custom sized decorate rug could solve some of this issue.

4 - leave it and do some sort of tile over it. Would need to be something that doesn't require a deep mud bath as that will need to be done AFTER the flooring is done. This would result in the aggregate having a higher surface than the surrounding engineered floor.

Truthfully leaning towards removing it only because it somehow feels like the "right" thing to do. The previous owners (we bought summer 2018) made the decision in order to sell to slap down the base of cement and porcelain tile over it. Because the went around the existing cabinets (with horrible plastic laminate) and poor design, I finally made the decision to remove the brand new tile and carpet and correct the kitchen design. I feel like keeping the aggregate flooring isn't a good design choice as it is inconsistent in color and now damaged too. The way the floor was laid previously created these ramps from the tile to the other areas - the entry to the dining, the living and the MBR. This was what caused the house to sit on the market for 6 months in a hot market in the East Bay area of CA! So - I don't want to end up going over the aggregate with another flooring that will cause me to have problems when I sell the house.

Additional facts:

Should mention we moved here from Massachusetts and are not planning on staying here longer than 5-10 years. I am DIY'ing it and my sister and brother in law who lay floors for a living are here to do the floors. The removal of the 600 sq ft of tile/mud was really hard on our bodies but in particular my brother in law as he had to do most of the breaking up of the mud while my sister and I removed the tiles.

Helpful suggestions please!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm