SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yeh_yeh

Getting quotes this week - Waterproofing for shower

yeh_yeh
5 years ago

Hello GWers,

I am getting prepare to get quotes from contractors for my 3 bathrooms remodel and would like to prepare myself on waterproofing so I can ask them for their method. I did a search in this forum on waterproofing and read through most of it if not all. I am confused on what's being called "mold sandwich" in one post and "recommended method" in another post.

One post has a comment that install tar paper of 6-mil poly sheeting between the Durock and the studs to prevent the studs from rotting away, another post has a comment this is what's called "mold sandwich" and should not be done. So which one comment is correct?

From what I read:

1. Need waterproofing over cement board (ie. Durock or HardieBacker). There are two kinds of waterproofing, sheet and liquid. Sheet is harder to applied when there's change of plane in close proximity but when installed with proper detailing, the thickness is uniform. Liquid is easier to applied but getting the specified thickness is the key. Also requires minimum of two coats applied perpendicularly. Some liquid waterproofing are RedGuard or Hydro Ban.

2. Shower walls and floor should use the same waterproofing system.

3. 48-72 hours flood test is a must and I need to be present to make sure all the water quickly drains out and in 10-15 mins there are no puddles of water.

4. Shower floor needs to sloped to the drain.

5. Shower curbs need to sloped toward the shower.

6. Silicone caulk should be used at a change of plane.

7. Sanded grout should be used on shower floor.

8. Mastic should not be used on both shower walls and floor.

9. I didn't find much on waterproofing the shower floor, what's the best practice? I am in Northern Cali.

Other than my confusion on the "mold sandwich", is there anything else i need to educate myself before the contractors come for quotes?

I plan to use quartz on shower walls as I don't want grout lines for easy cleaning, is there special preparations required for that? This will be my forever home and I want to make sure everything is done right. Thanks everyone in advance!

Comments (25)