SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carla_austin88

Daughter's bedroom redecorate

Carla Austin
5 years ago

I have lived in the same house for 15 years now and I've always wanted to have a beautifully decorated and designed home. So I've slowly tackled each room one by one. Recently I've done a lot of research because I've made so many mistakes in the past and I want this next room to turn out beautiful. I am in the midst of redecorating my 8 year old daughter's bedroom. I know the first step is furniture placement before I select a rug curtains or bedspread. Well, I already purchased the duvet which hasn't come in yet. My daughter wants a unicorn theme. Because I want her to grow into her room I don't want to get too crazy with it. I would say my style is on the minimalistic and functional side. We repainted the wall so they are neutral - 2 walls are antique white and the other two are latte. I know a decorating taboo is to not place the rug underneath at least part of the bed but I really hate to have a rug underneath the bed because it's hard to clean and then you're not seeing most of it. Also, I only have one night stand for this bed which is a queen bed. I was wondering if you could give me advice on furniture placement including if there's any hope to have a rug somewhere other than under the bed. Or maybe even an oval shaped rug? Right now the room is pretty much a blank canvas. There is a queen bed, dresser, and one night stand. There's really no other place for the queen bed unless it's on the opposite side which might look weird coming in the room. I was wondering, do you think a corner placement of the bed would work? Also, the dresser is a little small for that wall. Should I get an accent chair for desk maybe along the same wall? Attaching some pictures. Thanks!

Comments (41)

• Carla Austin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• jck910
    5 years ago

Can you turn the bed so that it faces the window?

• Related Discussions

Wall color for 16-month old daughter's bedroom

Q

Comments (17)
    Oh...I LOVE the bunny/ladybug fabric!! And it has that hint of barely-there shell pink that I think is just lovely. Personally, I think red-white-black is a wee bit jarring for sleeping...I think using the ladybugs with softer colors is just more, well, custom-looking. Less like a licensed character, you know what I mean? I would paint the walls the softest of pinks...I think Farrow & Ball has one. And use that fabric for curtains and maybe some big accent pillows. I'd just do a white cotton coverlet for the day bed that you can bleach.
    ...See More

Need help redecorating bedroom! New pics!

Q

Comments (193)
    Yes Sofia has Beige but the background color is not ivory it is a cool tone not warm at all..that is why you can go both directions... Worldly gray is a bit cooler than accessible Beige...If you go warm on the walls your room will just be one note of Beige:( to matching ....I would keep the walls just a bit cooler so the room is not all beige and you can introduce a tiny bit of gray....I wouldnot do accessible Beige just to Beige:((
    ...See More

Redecorating bedroom please Help!

Q

Comments (3)
    Can you show the other walls. Take some more pics. Please. And I’m not sure I’d go gray... would you do something lighter? A blue?
    ...See More

I need help redecorating guest bedroom - do these items work together?

Q

Comments (13)
    I like a small desk or table in a guest bedroom. Many people will bring a laptop and will want to have a surface to work on, and it is not advised to work on the bed or your lap, it gets lots of lint and dust in there. That's why college students fry their laptops on a regular basis, they work on their beds and laps and on the floor, and lots of dust and lint get in them and they don't vacuum them regularly or replace the heat paste either. I would keep clutter to a minimum in a guest room and one of the ways to do that is to not have a bedside lamp. You can have wall-mounted sconces that are plug-in so you don't have to use an electrician.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Wendling Designs
    5 years ago

Hi Carla. I haven't seen your photos yet. Concerning the rug placement: I would have a comfy chair where your daughter could hangout and have that anchored on the rug. I'm thinking of a fun style, something she will definitely want to sit in. Hope this is helpful.

• PRO
    Wendling Designs
    5 years ago

I just saw your photos. I think a corner placement of the bed would make it feel cramped. I'd move the dresser over to either side and add the comfy chair I mentioned earlier along that same wall.

• PRO
    Wendling Designs
    5 years ago

I love the unicorn comforter. Are you planning on using the lace circular canopy at the head of the bed. If not you could use it over the comfy chair, sort of like a mini tent.

• Daniela Marino
    5 years ago
    Well, as a 12 years-old’s mother, I think a queen is enormous for an 8-y-o girl... Additionally, her room is not so big. I am sure she will enjoy more place to play around better than a bigger bed...
  • Carla Austin
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I'm glad you like the duvet because I agonized over that decision. The picture is a screenshot from the website so I don't actually have a canopy cloth to hang over anything. I haven't received the duvet by mail yet. So I know the bed is big....we just moved her into the old guest room and she inherited the furniture. I wish it were smaller but I have to work with what I got. I can't face it towards the windows because the closet is in the way. I like the idea of moving the dresser over and having a sitting area with colorful rug! What shape rug do you think? Also, concerning the unbalanced one nightstand, should I get maybe a set of corner shelves for the opposite corner? Or move the nightstand to other side and corner shelves near the window side?
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

does she really need that large dresser? it's eating up a good portion of her play space. Ditto the large nightstand and large bed.

here are some ideas if you could do w/o the dresser

on that side of the room, you could do a little desk area, shelving, a place for toys and books, etc

if you get a smaller bed, or move that one over to the left (get rid of the night stand) you could do a little corner desk like this on the right side

or a little play area in that corner

you could also do a smaller night stand on one side, and a little desk or vanity on the other.

as for a rug, you don't have to push it all the way under the bed. just enough so that it sit under the two feet is fine. here they have a bench at the foot of the bed.

another visual for the sofa. you may also want to get her another light, maybe some blinds, a few little ottomans.

this little desk would look cute between your two windows. hang some art or shelves above it.

instead of that purple and pink plastic thing, try something like this that looks a bit better and will hold more toys and such.

and if you could remove that dresser, you could put something like this in it's place for double duty. you still have some drawers for clothes, but she also has a place to sit and read or do homework, a place for toys/games, a cork board or similar to hang her own art/pictures, and it looks better

this is a cute room. blinds are nice, cute accents, you could stage the rug like shown here:

• Erica Amaro
    5 years ago

Maybe you can get a bookshelf thats the same height and color as the nightstand for special items. I agree with moving the dresser over. On the vein of the canopy instead of a chair, I think that would be awesome. Maybe put some led lights and some big pillows with different textures? (One faux fur, one crushed velvet, one ruffle, etc) Or maybe a bean bag. Looks like a beautiful space!

• CLC
    5 years ago

Some good ideas here. My 10 year old wanted a unicorn theme (at 8, and she still loves it). She has a smallish room with a queen bed and nightstand. We have a small reading chair with some wall shelving next to the chair. She has actually had the queen bed since she was a toddler, haha. Her sisters slept with her for a while, but now she has her own room (with her own queen bed), and it works well for us. We gave her the option of replacing it with a twin for more room space, but she loves having a big bed to sprawl out in, and it is nice for occasional sleepovers with her sisters. We intentionally use bedrooms only for relaxing, reading and sleeping, so it isn't a big deal for us to have a shortage of play space or study space in her bedroom due to a large bed.

I think it is a good idea to use neutral paint colors (my daughter had her heart set on a light/soft pink, which I’m sure we will be repainting in about 3 years or so). You can decorate with pictures on walls, pillows and accessories. I would just get a cute oval shape rug for the open space in the room (like at the foot of her bed).

I would keep the bed where it is. How big is her closet? If you can move the dresser into the closet, or keep her clothes in the closet and put the dresser in storage, it would free up some great space along that wall for a desk or reading area. I wouldn’t add more furniture to what you already have.

• Carla Austin
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Wow! Such great ideas and pictures! I now have lots more to consider. I think I'm going to get rid of the nightstand and push the bed close to the wall on the window side. Hopefully it won't look weird just below the window . I love the idea about the corner desk and the cozy sitting area. I'm going to play around with moving the furniture tomorrow. Good thing I have furniture sliders .
  • Daniela Marino
    5 years ago

Are you sure you cannot turn the bed along the far wall? I can see you have enough room between the wall and the door (¿closet?), but not sure if wall is larger than bed...

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

I wouldnot push the bed against the wall it will make it extremely difficult for an 8 year old to make and in the long run make the room feel smaller. I like where it is now. I also like where the dresser is and even though it is large it doesn't need to be just for clothes. Drawers can be used for storing anything. Toys, art and craft supplies. I would see if it would fit on the window wall with the mirror between them. putting a seating area where it is now. a small desk could also be put between the windows or next to the bed doing double duty as a night table. There are a lot of inexpensive colorful plush choices of 3x5 ft area rugs the fit nicely beside a bed and can be changed out without too much expense if a color change is needed

• redsilver
    5 years ago

I prefer 2 non slid soft/plush runners or even extra large bath rugs that are very furry on either side of the bed, wherever her feet hit the floor....and than something less plush but maybe in a pretty pink color for the area at the foot of the bed where she may have a place to sit on the floor and play, or a bean bag or a bench with a lid that opens for toys, blankets, things that girls have in their rooms. LOL Such a pretty comforter. Hope you use some of the ideas pictured above where you can. I too, don't like beds against the wall. Changing sheets is enough of a drama and remaking it, try NOT to do that if you have any other options..you need to be able to at least get the width of a vacuum cleaner or dustmop around all sides of a bed where possible. It just makes for a nicer room..

• Carla Austin
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Daniela, do you mean turn the bed 90 degrees so the headboard is against the wall opposite the windows? I measured today and unfortunately the width is a little long and it would block the closet door slightly.
  • Carla Austin
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Now I'm wishing I had sold the entire queen set and started from scratch! Maybe that's what I should do. I'll see what I can do tomorrow with furniture first before throwing in the towel. lol.
  • Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

Tween Bedroom Makeover · More Info

Central Park West · More Info

Sapphire Lane Custom Home · More Info

• Carla Austin
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I really love that hanging swing!
  • Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

It looks fun but I really posted the picture for the shelving.. something to consider for above or beside the dresser.

• Daniela Marino
    5 years ago

Perhaps you can put the dresser against the windows wall, not centered but in the corner where the nightstand now is (and rid out of the nightstand or put it in the other side of the bed). In that way, you'd have all the end of the room free for design a special play area.

• Carla Austin
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Cheryl I love the floating shelves also....we have them in our basement. So many beautiful pictures here. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that I just need to sell this queen set and start from scratch. I didn't want to do that because it's a pain. But if I could sell it for a decent price and start over, I will so I can get the look I want. Everybody seems to agree the queen bed is just way too big for this space. That doesn't mean I won't try. Tomorrow I will send more pictures with the current furniture rearranged (and some deleted).
  • Carla Austin
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Daniela, another good idea. I'll try it.
  • Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

I totally get using things you already have. A queen bed is still useful for guests in a pinch but a twin would give her more room for a very long time. I'd just get a new bed if you feel you need to and keep the rest there is really nothing wrong with it. Nice looking and functional. a problem I see with getting a smaller bed is you just ordered the duvet. Unless it will work as a bedspread you'll have to return it. I don't think the bed is that big a problem. Actually moving furniture is the only way for me to see how something works. Dont just move it and put it back, live with each arrangement considered for a week or more Unless it's totally out of the question. Bring things from other areas of your house to try before committing. Give it time.

• Carla Austin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Is this configuration workable? I removed nightstand and moved dresser as seen. The bed isn't centered anymore but also isn't pushed against the wall. In order to move the dresser on the wall with the headboard, I'd have to move the bed almost against the wall. So this configuration still allows 2 feet on one side and plenty of room to open dresser drawers. The good news is that I have much more open floor area. So now I would love some suggestion on a specific area rug that would coordinate with the unicorn duvet (pictured at the top of my post in a comment). I guess I'm OK with putting it 1/3 under the bed now since there's more floor area to see. Unless anyone has any other ideas. I love patterns and colors. I was reading polka dots, stripes, or checks can go well with floral patterns. I also welcome specific curtain suggestions for the two windows. Valance or long curtains. I'd like for the duvet, curtains, and rug to coordinate together. Also, I'm attaching a pic of a desk that I have in my study (it's as old as me and I'm 42!). It was mine as a child and it's the same cream color as the headboard and dresser. Yes or no? Or attractive cube storage? Finally, any suggestions on a fold down/small shelf for corner since she does read before bed? Or a tall lamp? Once I finally get these basics put in place, the fun of decorating the walls can begin.

• Carla Austin
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I forgot to add--- the ceiling light fixture has got to go!
  • Carla Austin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

experimenting with a small nightstand.....I could paint either of these. The headboard looks so tall compared to it though. Is there anything that would compensate for this?

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

It would be great to use your old desk in the room. I love it. Try the desk next to the bed to do double duty as a night table. If there isn't room on the opposite side to have your actual night stand get rid of if it but something on both sides of the bed helps balance the room. Please put the dresser and back where it was. even though you gained more floor space it makes the room feel cramped. There are so many colors to choose from to coordinate with the comforter, I would let your little girl decide which ones she likes. I would also look for full length blackout curtains. If you get just white to match the background of the comforter you won't have to change them as her likes change.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

she's 8. she doesn't really need a night stand.. normally they're used to hold your glasses, books, tv remote, a small lamp for reading in bed, etc. You could do a little white table or something. not that wood one.

why don't you string some lights across the headboard or on that wall so that when you read here bedtime stories (or whatever) you'll have a little ambient light.

You could even string them on the entire wall like this

or, the ceiling

• Carla Austin
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Beth, I do like the string light idea on the headboard. I guess I'm just torn about selling the bed and moving her back to a full. I don't really want to go with a twin because she is already extremely tall for her age already (her dad is 6'5" and I'm 5'9") and she will need the space. I just moved her out of the full but do still have it, but no headboard. I would need to sell the queen first because no storage for it. I will try the desk up there too.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

you could always have that headboard cut down to a slightly lower height. wouldn't be a big deal.

up to you about the bed though.

there is only a 6" diff in width from a full to queen, and 5" in length. really not enough to justify switching.

• Aphaea
    5 years ago

Have you considered getting rid of the dresser and finding a smaller one? I have one for myself that is a leggy 1930s or 40s era with two drawers about 2.5 feet long each. I have to hang a lot more stuff but love the room and simplicity it gives me and would never go back to a standard dresser. It can really make a difference to a room.

• anna_682
    5 years ago

Would the desk fit at the foot of the bed?

• CLC
    5 years ago

Agree with einportlandor. The desk is charming if she will use it, otherwise they attract piles and clutter. If the closet is big enough to store all of her clothes, ditch the dresser altogether. 2 of my kids (8 and 10) have a bed and a nightstand - no dresser. I love having everything in their closets. We hang almost everything, with baskets/drawers for underwear and socks. Their nightstands are actually very well utilized; I wouldn’t want to go without a nightstand. My kids keep some “special things” in the nightstand drawer, along with a chapstick, and the top of the nightstand holds a reading lamp and whatever book they are reading. My 6 year old doesn’t have room for a nightstand, so she has two small shelves hanging on the wall next to her bed. They work well for a few books, chapstick, water. I think you have a lot of good ideas to play around with. I would keep the queen bed......that will be the most comfortable for her. Trading for a full bed doesn’t grant you that much extra space. Not worth it imo.

• Carla Austin
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    All interesting ideas. Everyone seems to like the desk idea and the funny thing is, I had a small desk in here before she moved to this room. I will convince my husband to help me haul it upstairs again to see what it looks like at the foot of the bed or on other walls. It looks like it matches the furniture anyway. I think she'd use it since she uses it now in the office room. I love the faux sheepskin rugs and they have awesome ones at Ross if you hit it. Saw a pink one there that was big the other day but did not get it. I want to be sure. I'm afraid of foot traffic but I like the texture of faux fur and the furniture with it's hard lines needs a softer touch I think.
  • Daniela Marino
    5 years ago

Carla look at this bedroom, similar as yours:

https://www.houzz.com/projects/680269/teen-girls-chevron-bedroom

In your case, the duvet has much drawing, so your wall must be only one color.

I really like ceiling lamp and rug in the last photo of Beth yesterday post. And I like how string lights look, but I wouldn't put those on my daughter bed! Very concerned about fire risk...

Finally, unless your kid were really pinky-pinky, I would prefer to take the green and mustard from the duvet to decorate and just little dosis of pink.

Talk with your sweetie, choose what you both prefer and share photos!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

Daniela, those lights are LED's and don't pose a fire risk. they don't even get warm!

• Carla Austin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Daniela, that room is nice with bold colors. There's no way I'd have the skill to do that to my walls. lol. As I was scouring the Pinterest pages, I looked for pretty rooms with neutral walls so I could sort of build off that. I really like this one with the gold polka dots on the wall. I especially like it because it's easy! Just peel and stick wall decals. I'd like to do something like this too. Maybe gold won't be right but some other color or colors. I really like the one with the corner shelves.

• Daniela Marino
    5 years ago

Oh yes, I said you'll have the pattern and color in the comforter, so your wall must be one-colored. Just thought about the use of the space... I like the dots, I saw a similar wall but with stars, perhaps more in tune with unicorns!

• Deb Zilch
    5 years ago
    Very nice bedroom. something pricess-y about a tall headboard, or is that just me...
    ; - )
  • Deb Zilch
    5 years ago
    ok to hang an IKEA pendant shade-light over corner nightstand.