SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uzatvoru

Dog, Igor is multilingual Yorkie Poodle

yovan mcgregor
5 years ago

My dog Igor is very multilingual : English, Ukrainian, Serbian, Russian, Polish, Bulgarian, Croatian, Macedonian, Slovak. Same like the owner. Igor knows who grows cannabis in our neighbourhood. Igor will pull me to the fence where cannabis is, stop and bark like crazy. I peaked through the fences and I see plants there. Igor is extremely nice and kind, he is using and abusing me, every morning Igor wants to go with me to the coffee shop. Except, there is one big problem: Igor never kissed me but he does kiss my wife and my daughter. I am really really nice to Igor : I never scream at him, I never hit Igor I spoiled him to death but there is no way to get him to love me more than my family. Igor never peed and / or pooped in the house, in the coldest days Igor will go outside beside pear tree and do what he has to do and I am the one to pick it up while he is watching me doing it.

My question is: how to make Igor that I am the # 1 ? Igor loves me if my daughter and my wife are not present but if they are in house Igor ignores me.

****** my apologies for my poor english

Comments (8)

• Ninapearl
    5 years ago

igor sounds like a very interesting fella. if you don't already feed him, take over that job and you may find him head over heels in love with you! :)

• socks
    5 years ago

He sounds like a nice dog. You could try playing with him as well as feeding. Many dogs like tug of war with a towel or soft toy and also chasing a ball.

Your English is perfectly understandable. Good job.

• katrina_ellen
    5 years ago

My friend says they have to see you as the alfa. The leader of the pack. She has been a groomer a long time, she has her own shop. She is the one her dogs gravitate to, but then she can be pretty bossy.

• Ninapearl
    5 years ago

i don't really like the word "alpha". i would rather say "leader". my dogs know i am the leader of
    our pack. i say "our" pack because i am part of it. i respect my dogs' individual likes/dislikes and the difference in their personalities. i don't have to demand respect (or anything else, for that matter) from them because since my dogs all look to me as their leader, they just respect me with no questions.

whenever i have brought a new dog into the pack, it has been seamless. that's because my dogs look to me for leadership and while all dogs have their own thoughts about pecking orders, i have never experienced any trouble, ever. jorah has been here for 6 months now. he and the other 3 danes get along so well, people always ask me what i have to do to create harmony. i don't have to *do* anything, they all know what is and what is not acceptable. i can count the times on one hand that i have had to say the word no in the last 6 months. with my smallest being 135# and my biggest 176#, it's a good thing!

maybe i've just been lucky over the 10+ years that i have been rescuing danes but all i know is that if my dogs know right from the start that they look to ME for leadership, it's all good. :)

yovan mcgregor thanked Ninapearl
  • katrina_ellen
    5 years ago

nina - by bossy I didn't mean she bosses her dogs around, I just mean that's just her personality. She is like you, the leader of the pack, they look to her for direction and she takes really good care of them. She has a yorkie that if anyone picks her up while she is around, the yorkie just fusses and fusses. She would be happy if she were glued to her. Your dogs look very sweet.

yovan mcgregor thanked katrina_ellen
  • Ninapearl
    5 years ago

she must be my sister from another mother. LOL! i try to rein in my bossy butt, however, sometimes you just have to run with it. ;)

thanks, my dogs are as sweet as can be. they have a dog door so they will greet you at the end of the deck barking their fool heads off but since i live alone way out in the boonies (i should have my own zip code!), i have never discouraged their reaction to people coming up the lane because i oftentimes don't see people driving up. all i have to do is walk outside, say "thank you" and they stop barking. :)

yovan mcgregor thanked Ninapearl
  • User
    5 years ago

Yovan, I love your story and Igor sounds like he’s a special member of the family. I agree with Ninapearl, feeding Igor is what will get you his heart.

It wasn’t until I started having my husband feed our dog that he was able to build a closer relationship with her. He feeds her in the morning, I feed her at night and we both take turns taking her out. She’s still usually by my side, but he gets greeted at the door and his share of affection from her as well.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor