SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Acyclovir Side Effects, Anyone?

chisue
5 years ago

I had no side effects the first two months I was on Velcade (chemo for multiple myeloma). Then, by August, my hair started to fall out. I had blurry vision. I became unsteady walking. I developed exquisitely sensitive skin across my midriff and my breasts (over more than one quadrant, so not true Shingles). My oncologist said these are not side effects of Velcade.

Ah, but I was also prescribed 800 mg of Acyclovir with the Velcade, and I've now taken both medicines for almost seven months. Acyclovir is an anti-herpes drug. It's also prescribed to prevent Shingles, a common side effect of Velcade. I've just realized that my four problems are among the most likely side effects of the Acyclovir.

Has anyone taken Acyclovir? Has anyone had side effects like these?

My oncologist halved my dose of Acyclovir last week; no side effect improvement yet. Also, my MM has improved enough that I may be close to remission, when I could be prescribed Revlimid instead of Velcade. Revlimid doesn't carry the same risk of Shingles.

lukkiirish -- You've said your DH has taken Revlimid. What do I need to know about that? The expensive Velcade ($8K per weekly shot) is given at the hospital and is covered by Medicare Part B. Revlimid is an oral med. Do you have more out-of-pocket cost because it would be under Medicare Part D? The Revlimid looks like it puts the patient into 'Catastrophic' by the third month.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors