At least 5 dead in bank shooting in Florida...

Chi

A gunman who barricaded himself in a SunTrust Bank in Florida killed at least five people in the branch on Wednesday, Sebring Police Chief Karl Hoglund said.

The suspect called authorities to say he had entered the bank in Sebring, about 85 miles south of Orlando, and began shooting, according to Hoglund. Authorities identified the suspect as 21-year-old Sebring resident Zephen Xaver, who is in custody.

"We've suffered significant loss at the hands of a senseless criminal doing a senseless crime," Hoglund said.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/23/us/sebring-florida-bank-incident/index.html

I found a Facebook profile of a Zephen Xaver from Sebring. I won't post it here in the small chance it's not the same person, but he looks like the typical American mass shooter.

SaveComment30Like1
Comments (30)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mr1010

Yes he looks like a misfit, originally from Indiana according to an old FB from 2015.

Guess he was looking for his 15 min. of fame. Put him in general population

in jail and let the other prisoners take care of him.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

His photo (a mug shot) reveals an odd-looking character. Must be a nutcase.

This is terrible news.

Save    
steve2416

Mr1010, he would probably do fine in gen pop, maybe even pick up a couple of admirers. The inmates are going to keep their heads down and stay out of trouble. If they do good time they gain points and even lifers can have their lives improve. I know a little about that because I worked in a Prison for seven years.

2 Likes Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

I haven't seen a picture but if elvis calls him a nutcase then he must be a white male.

6 Likes Save    
elvis

Actually, it's the eyebrows.

Save    
Rina

A perpetrator's sanity should be determined by a court with the help of psychiatric professionals. To conclude that he's a nutcase at this stage -- with no evidence to that effect -- is to tend to absolve him of moral responsibility, which I don't think is right.

Yet again, I grieve for the victims.

1 Like Save    
Maddie AtHome

Rina, it always goes like this:

-- Black perpetrator = THUG!

-- Muslim/other non-christian perpetrator = TERRORIST!

-- Non-Conservative perpetrator = TERRORIST!

-- White and/or Conservative perpetrator = Oh well poor thing must be mentally ill.

What is cause and what is effect with the latter--the jury is still out on this.

6 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

Horrible, horrible tragedy

2 Likes Save    
josephene_gw

What, no illegal aliens involved?

yes horrible mom.

2 Likes Save    
tony jelly

It is weird that police fear for their lives when they see an unarmed black man, so shoot him just in case, whereas an armed white man who has just killed a bunch of people can somehow be persuaded to come quietly.

8 Likes Save    
batyabeth

"an odd-looking character. Must be a nutcase."

My goodness elvis. Judge a book by its cover much? Diagnose mental illness by just looking?

And maddie hit it spot on.

1 Like Save    
miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)(8a)

Am I giving too much benefit of the doubt in that I read elvis's comment as sarcasm?

Save    
Lily613

I heard about it and then found nothing on the news sites . I then realized it takes more than five dead to create headlines. 15 is a better number or unless a religious group is gunned down like the Pittsburgh massacre, it's ho-hum. No word from tRump. But if it was an illegal, the right would have smoke coming from their noses.

1 Like Save    
mrskjun(9)

It seems his motive was to kill an ex girlfriend?

Lily, it is being discussed here, and he is an American citizen, we didn't have to import him to kill anyone, and it's still terrible and sickening.

1 Like Save    
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

>we didn't have to import him to kill anyone<

What? But don't we keep being told people coming in from south of the border are all a threat?

1 Like Save    
mr1010

LE says today they still have no motive. All five were women shot execution style,

all were found face down in the bank lobby with bullet holes in back of heads and

upper torsos. 4 were bank employees, one was a customer.

His ex-girlfriend in Indiana says he was always angry and talked about guns and killing people. He was expelled in High school for wanting to shoot up his school

because of a dream he had. Former students at the school says he had poor self image and seemed depressed.

Save    
Chi

How does such a person get his hands on a gun? Surely getting expelled for threatening to shoot up a school should be a red flag???

2 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

I would imagine the same way addicts are able to obtain illegal drugs, criminals are able to obtain illegal guns.

1 Like Save    
dandyfopp

Here is how to get a gun in America.

Go to a a person or shop who sells guns and buy one.

It case anyone is surprised, the shooter is a fan of Milo, Alex Jones and of course, Donnie.

4 Likes Save    
jn3344

Just another red-blooded American exercising his 2A freedumbs.

2 Likes Save    
GOD

No outrage from the right.. he's a white male

2 Likes Save    
Chi

Do we know if it was an illegal gun yet? His girlfriend said he bought a gun last week. Most mass shooters buy their guns legally.

2 Likes Save    
chase_gw

What's with Florida?

1 Like Save    
alexrander

He must have made it through Trump's wall, or come by boat? If only we had a wall none of this would have happened.

5 Likes Save    
tony jelly

Now THAT is sarcasm.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

Rina, it always goes like this:

-- Black perpetrator = THUG!

-- Muslim/other non-christian perpetrator = TERRORIST!

-- Non-Conservative perpetrator = TERRORIST!

-- White and/or Conservative perpetrator = Oh well poor thing must be mentally ill.

Everyone is all those categories had to be mentally ill to do this.

Save    
alexrander

Lots of mentally ill people don't kill. It takes easy access to guns to allow this to happen.

5 Likes Save    
tony jelly

talking of mentally ill. only mentally ill people kill with a gun, is it? Nothing to do with the gun then?

2 Likes Save    
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

The good old USA, the only "advanced" country in the world to aid and abet in this sort of insanity. We should be so proud of our record of hundreds and thousands of people being mowed down by guns each and every year, where other countries might have had 5 or 10 fatalities during the same period of time. Who in his right mind would condone this sort of bloodshed and misery? It's beyond belief.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

Who in his right mind would condone this sort of bloodshed and misery?

Tell us who has condoned it, Ingrid.

Save    

Related Stories

Materials 5 Finishes Pets and Kids Can’t Destroy — and 5 to Avoid
Save your sanity and your decorating budget by choosing materials and surfaces that can stand up to abuse
Full Story
Remodeling Guides 5 Remodels That Make Good Resale Value Sense — and 5 That Don’t
Find out which projects offer the best return on your investment dollars
Full Story
Your First House 5 Ways With a 5-by-8-Foot Bathroom
Look to these bathroom makeovers to learn about budgets, special features, splurges, bargains and more
Full Story
Life 5 Ways to Jump-Start a Whole-House Decluttering Effort
If the piles of paperwork and jampacked closets have you feeling like a deer in the headlights, take a deep breath and a baby step
Full Story
Remodeling Guides 5 Steps to Help You Hire the Right Contractor
Don't take chances on this all-important team member. Find the best general contractor for your remodel or new build by heeding this advice
Full Story
Kitchen Design Pros and Cons of 5 Popular Kitchen Flooring Materials
Which kitchen flooring is right for you? An expert gives us the rundown
Full Story
Most Popular How to Survive an Epidemic of Walking Dead
Tips to use around the house and garden to prep for the zombie apocalypse
Full Story
Color 12 Deadly Decorating Sins
Are your room designs suffering from a few old habits? It may be time to change your ways
Full Story
Remodeling Guides 5 Favorite Granites for Gorgeous Kitchen Countertops
See granite types from white to black in action, and learn which cabinet finishes and fixture materials pair best with each
Full Story
Friendly Painting, Inc., is a full service residential & commercial painting and contracting business founded in... Read More
Design Tile Inc., established in 1980, brings more than 30 years of experience and excellence to its showroom in... Read More