SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
permanposies9afl

Thoughts on these roses for N. Florida?

I’m trying to finalize some planning, and thought I’d see if any of you brilliant gardeners could tell me about these for the hot and humid:

Alchemyst

Baltimore Belle

Ghislande de Feligonde

Gruss an Aachen

Marie Pavie

Raubritter

Rose de Rescht

Souvenir de St. Anne’s

Victorian Memory

Many thanks in advance! :-)

Comments (36)

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    5 years ago

Maybe you should check which roses are offered by nurseries in your area, such as Rose Petals Nursery, Angel Gardens, and A Reverence for Roses. I do know that many once-bloomers have even shorter bloom periods where it gets hot fast, so maybe think about these possible replacements. Here in central NJ we get about as hot and humid, but not for as long as northern Florida. But if you contact the nurseries I mentioned -- I know the owners of the first two are often on Facebook -- they'll be better able to answer.

Alchymist -- a yellow Tea-Noisette might be better, since this rose is known for blackspot when it gets hot and humid, and it doesn't repeat. So you're looking at two or three weeks of glory, followed by a much longer period of spotty leaves. In a shorter growing season that wouldn't be as dramatic of a difference -- bloom period would be longer, and spotty period would be shorter.

Baltimore Belle -- would probably do very well, even if it doesn't repeat, but maybe one of the Noisettes or "Barfield White Climber" would work if you wanted more bloom. Mine has no disease at all, but bloom time is four weeks, max -- and that's counting from first open flower to last, not the length of the full-flush. Here that's wonderful, but when your growing season is so much longer, it's a flash by comparison.

Ghislaine de Felligonde -- again, I think that a yellow Tea-Noisette would be better, or maybe 'Buff Beauty' if you're looking for something similar but with some Tea-Noisette "blood" in it. From what I've read, GdF is happier where it's not as hot. The Antique Rose Emporium in TX says it's a once-bloomer, but at High Country Roses in Colorado it repeats. I think that if the Summer is long and hot enough, it sort of "stuns" this rose and prevents rebloom. But where Summers are milder, it reblooms.

Gruss an Aachen -- should be fine, perhaps some blackspot issues.

Marie Pavie -- should be fine. Mine doesn't have any issue with blackspot until just before the leaves drop.

Raubritter -- its bloom will be short, and it's prone to blackspot when it gets hot and humid. There are Chinas and non-Tea Noisettes that would probably work better. Maybe even "Sophie's Perpetual", or perhaps "Greenmount Red".

Rose de Rescht -- might be ok, probably will have blackspot issues after the first flush -- mine does. While it's not really that similar, one of the 'Radiance' clan might function similarly and do better in Florida.

Souvenir de St. Anne's -- should be fine.

Victorian Memory -- while it's better-known in colder areas, this might be ok. For a similar look, at least bloom-wise, there are many Tea options.

It's funny how we "zone-push" and long for things that probably do better elsewhere, right? I'm guilty of it myself, but I go the other way -- trying things that are a bit tender for my Winters. However, it's easier to protect in Winter than to protect in Summer. And if Winter takes away too much, there's more growing season to make up for it every year. That's how my "Bermuda Spice" in a totally exposed site gets by -- Winters have cut it back to anything between inches and two feet, yet it continues to grow to five feet by five feet every year, because it's in all-day full-sun, with lots of rain, and nutrient-rich soil.

Then again, if you're really in love with your choices, you'll find a way -- and be elated with any blooms you get, regardless.

:-)

~Christopher

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked AquaEyes 7a NJ
  • AquaEyes 7a NJ
    5 years ago

P.S. If you're dead-set on some once-blooming climbers, there are many Wichurana ramblers bred from Teas which would do better by you than 'Alchymist' and 'Ghislaine de Felligonde'.

:-)

~Christopher

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked AquaEyes 7a NJ
  • Related Discussions

N. Florida mystery plant

Q

Comments (7)
    I think I got the height wrong. I think it is more like 18" and I'll try cutting the leaf tonight. I don't think it is an oak it is got more of a shrub or weed look to it. We do have live oaks in the area but doesn't look like any oak seedling I've seen. I knew about the latex thing but thought I had to cut the stem which I didn't want to do in case it is a good thing.
    ...See More

mallow, N. Florida, blooming on roadside

Q

Comments (4)
    I wouldn't discount Hibiscus moscheutos, the Florida native CRIMSON-EYED ROSEMALLOW. It's the parent of a hundred hybrids so if you do a Google search, you'll come up with a whole bunch of stuff that doesn't quite match. Joe
    ...See More

Overwintering potted roses in N.Central Florida ??

Q

Comments (3)
    I live on the western side of the St. Johns and I usually leave my roses out all winter. But, If you have newly rooted or small tea roses you should protect them from the frost by moving them up to the house and covering them. I have a couple of tea roses that are reaching maturity; I dont protect the tea roses at all. All my other rose types like floribunda, Hybrid tea, Hybrid perpetual, Damask, Gallicia, etc. will actually be moved to a more exposed location to recieve more chill. Again, no newly planted roses and no new growth on the roses to be left out or exposed. Hope this helps! -Jason B.
    ...See More

Roses in Florida

Q

Comments (4)
    Ut2nc Never blindly follow what is on those lables. I always look up roses on Helpmefind.com when I'm shopping for roses. I've bought several roses from the big box stores just to find that the rose was something else. This time of the year the big growers (Dewars) often liquidate this years roses in preparation for the crop of bare-root roses they'll receive from Star and Weeks. Here are some pics I took when I ran into these roses. They were definitely NOT on Fortuniana. Pretty pots though ;-)
    ...See More
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you so much Christopher! This is invaluable information.

I’m trying to be ”good” about my choices, and stick to the warmer climate roses, but my sweet DH got me a gift certificate from HCR and I already have all their teas & noisettes. So, stretching out and exploring.

Your observations are super-helpful. It sounds like polyanthas might be the better choices?

• Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

I whole heartedly recommend Mountain Mignonette. And Ghislane Felogonde reblooms for me. I do have her in shade.

Rose de Rescht did not do well for me. It would not grow or live.

I'll check and see if there something else I could recommend. That does well for me..

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Alana8aSC
  • Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

Darlows Enigma, Dainty Bess, felicity et Perpétue , golden wings, gourmet popcorn, I have Lemon Zen, but it hasn't done much yet, if it doesn't do better I will have to call matt, Lilian Austin, MAC is newish, Mountain Mignonette, of course, Paul's Himalayan musk, Purple Pavement,, Sweet Chariot, Therese Bugnet, and Veilchenblu, these are all the modern roses I grow off there site and they all do well, except as noted. I do have more off of there OGR, but I was sticking to the modern for you. Will make another list of those. Ghislane de felogonde does grow and flower twice or more, but she is not as vigorous as some to me. It could be the spot shes in. Hope this helps.

• Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

For the OGR, these do well for me .

Belle de crecy, Autumn Damask, but it does like water, and it did take a while to decide to stay, Pompom de Bourgene, Celsiana, Villiage Maid, Charles de Mills. Complicata, Fanton Lautner, Goethe, Green Rose, Henery Martin, Hippolyte, Ispahan, la belle Sultante, Leda, Madame Plantier, Great Maidens blush, Mutibilis,

Species that have done well.

R. Carolina, Rosa Apothecary, Rosa Mundi, R. Spinosissima, and the prairie Rose.

Now I am not sure how these would do for you. Most likely it would depend on if you get winter chill, but all of these I have done well for me.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow—thank you so much Alana! This does give me some new roses to research...thank you again!! :-)

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

For comparison, do you happen to know your winter chill hours, Alana? That might make a difference for some of these roses.

• Alana8aSC
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

We generally get low thirties and high twenties. If the weather falls right , we may get some snow for a day or two. If we are really lucky, it will stay around for a week, but by then it's nothing but a mess. My daughter is wanting snow so bad!

I'm not sure what kind of weather you get where you are, so I was sure to put that. Now Mountain Mignonette, and Goumet Popcorn should still do well. Maybe even a few others..Sweet Chariot, and Lilian Austin to name a few..Lemon Zen too.

I think some of the damask grow in zone 9, maybe someone else can comment on that?

Celsiana and Ispahan both say 9b on HMF?

• Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

If I'm looking at the chill hours thing right I get 875-985 ? I think

Looks like Florida doesn't get much. But HMF said the damask can grow to 9b. I guess they don't need much, if any? So I wouldn't get anything that needs actual chill, since it doesn't look like you get much or none, depending on where you are.

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago
    Perma , I have 2 of the roses you mentioned.
    Marie Pavie and Rose de Rescht.
    I just saw your thread and I will come back to it later.
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow, Alana, that’s a lot more hours than we have here—and you’re not that far away! Our averages are between 300-400. (I’m in NE FL, almost to GA.)

I‘ve read a lot about 6-9 being a default zone range on HMF, so I’m not sure how much to trust when I see that. I do know that with my fruit trees, zone is not as critical as disease resistance, so I’m thinking that roses could be similar?

• Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

Yea I zoomed in to make sure, but I am right. Now the actual city of Bishopville , which is my address gets 766- 875. But I don't live in Bishopville I live way outside of it, Next to Darlington County, or Hartsville, with Kershaw county, or Camden, I can't recall which the map say, is at my back door, so I am in the next set which gets 875-985. That's why I pay closer attention to Kershaw weather, and Bishopville and divide what I'm getting, lol. When we had that snow storm a few years ago during polar vortex , Bishopville got a dusting, and I got 6 inches, big difference. I do live by a river, maybe that helps? IDK.

I thought there wouldn't be much difference either.

Virginia gets 328-428, that's why I could grow Rose's she couldn't grow. I know she grew Chinas and Teas, and polyantha's. So I would suggest the same. But I do think Ispahan is an anomaly and doesn't require it, but i could be wrong. Definitely get Mountain Mignonette. It should do great for you!

• Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

I'm not sure what there weather is to yours but there are growers on hmf from southern Australia and north Italy growing Ispahan...

5 years ago
    Perma, I know you can grow more roses than I can.
    I truly hate my zone 9 b Bec I found many roses that grow from lower zones to 9 b. So, I fall at last zone of cut off.
    I was also looking at Belle Baltimore rose. Marie Pavie grows to zone 10 and Rose de Rescht grows to 9 b.
    Marie Pavie is always in bloom. Always blooming buds like non stop. It is fragrant and about 2 inches blooms. It does get BS but not as severe as Rose de Rescht. I am constantly spraying it every time rain or no rain Bec of humidity. . The Damask rose has very strong scent. The colour is amazing and I don't mind spraying Bec of the scent.
    I try to look for pics but I got them unmarked so now I got confused. I found one in Dec which will be the first pic I will post. The rest I just took within this hour.
    Chris is absolutely right. The best person to ask is nursery like you have so many in your area. Rose petals, Reverance and Angels.
    I hope to get more information on Ispahan. I am further south of you but I wish I can grow that rose and I will be asking nursery if I can or not. Now, you see my zone is actually a cut off for most of them.

jin
    5 years ago

I move the pots closer so you can see Marie Pavie and rose Rescht. The furthest pot is Rescht . I did deadhead them 4 days ago but it rain a few days ago too and i have not sprayed.
    Rescht is having new buds formed . I find that rose is most challenging [ rain or not ] Bec it is a magnet for BS. Marie Pavie does have it but not bad. I do spray both so you know plus my DA eoses. Other than BS they are both healthy. Floruda is well kmown for BS regardless. 97 to 99 % humidity throughout the year is not much i can do but spray.
    jin

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

These are both really pretty Jin! You are doing a great job with RdR—what a color! Does it bloom in heat? Is is a paler hue if so? MP is gorgeous too. This one comes recommended for FL, so should be ok. What do you spray them with, if I may ask? Thank you for the photos. :-)

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You are absolutely right about Ispahan, Alana! Found quite a few warmer climates growing it. I’m so much more encouraged now. I knew my rose friends would have some ideas—-thanks to you all—-you are just wonderful! :-)

5 years ago

Yes, they bloom in heat. Mine e is in direct sun Bec ARE recommended them to be.
    I used liquid copper sulphate but I finish that so now I am changing it to Mancozeb fungicide which will be easier. Better to feed then spray Bec I can't be spraying each time it rain. That would be better for raining seasons too.

I ran out of spray last week so I need to buy that today. Besides , the feed is Honor Guard but I rather have feed or else it will be losing battle here in FL.
    Pic taken from David Austin handbook. I know SoFl also used that below so it makes more sense as feed wise .

jin

• Ken Wilkinson
    5 years ago

You can buy Bayer's Disease Control at Lows and probably Home Depot. I also saw it at a Walmart. Check around. That's all I use in my garden full of black spot prone roses. When I lived in Central FL. I grew RdR in a 10 gal. pot. I had no problems with it. It took 3 years to fill in nice but it was worth the wait. I learned real quick to keep it well watered.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Ken Wilkinson
    5 years ago
    Oh, Ken !! Thank you for posting. It is good to see you back. Now, I know it will make it here in Central Florida. Thanks for the tip about RDR needs more water. I do water twice usually during hot days but this winter I been watering every 2-3 days. All my roses are in control moisture potting soil ( potted) so the soil is usually damp but I will give more water. I will treated it like one of David Austin roses...needs more water . The roses in ground still gets daily watering .

jin
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Jin & Ken for the info on sprays. Unfortunately I can’t use Bayer products because they're not safe for all my beneficials. My lizard army is rapidly reproducing...there are lizard eggs and the cutest little newborns EVERYWHERE! The little green frogs are trying very hard to keep up with the lizards, and so I just can’t jepardize everyone’s health. I’ll keep experimenting with organics and keep you all posted on my efforts. Milkspray has worked well on mildew so far. :-)

My DH and I are working on our rainwater harvesting these next few weekends, and we’re setting up a system to collect in rain barrels, with an overflow pipe going out to soakerhoses in the rosebeds. The one rain barrel we have set up (55 gal) fills up in about 20 minutes. So we’re installing four in a series. Harvesting all this roof water should really help stretch the water supply and give the roses the extra they need.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Alana, I’m really intrigued by Lemon Zen—what can you tell me about it? Many thanks!

• Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

Mine hasn't done much. It's not that old. I'm hoping it shows me something worth reporting this spring. I don't recall one flower last year. I even asked on hmf. Everyone said it bloomed non stop for them. So I just hope it needed more time to mature.

If I don't see something in Spring I will be calling Matt.

5 years ago

Perma, RdR bloomed today so o took a few pics just for you. The fragrance is so wonderful and heavenly.
    jin

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow! That’s sooo gorgeous! I sure wish I could smell it! :-)

5 years ago
    I order the Bioadvanced through Amazon which actually arrives today. Ran into the driver as I was pulling up and he handed me a package. It looks paper weight and I questioned him saying this don't feel right. Seems it is empty. My daughter said to check the top to see a hole in it somewhere. Sure in enough it was open near the seal. The driver took back the package.
    Today, I received an email from Amazon saying it was undeliverable. ? I wonder, why ? hmm ??
    I am so glad I ran into the driver or else they would have blame me. I can't find this product anywhere but as a combo yes like has mites n disease or ferterlizer mixed like 3 to 1.
    I wonder who took it and I have not even talk to Amazon yet ?
    jin
    5 years ago
    Corrections, it was torn below the seal line
    jin
  • Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

I would call Amazon and tell them exactly what happened. Best wishes.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Alana is right; just let them know. I’ve learned that “undeliverable” is carrier-speak for “problem package.” You’d think they could be more precise, but I’ve had this happen before and if you notify Amazon you should be fine.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago

One time my dh ordered a lawn mower blade from Amazon. They delivered a large empty box with a huge hole ripped in the side. Who knows where that sharp blade ended up lol. He complained to Amazon and they just sent him a new one.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago
    Wow, I did called last night and they claim it is so bizarre and very rare. But I have to buy another one so I paid again meanwhile they have to investigate why the package was undeliverable then I get my refund on first whichever it is they said I have to pay again and I did so now I will get it a few days time.

Thanks !!
    jin
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sultry, that is crazy! How could they not see a hole & notice the box was empty?! I think that’s hilarious!! :-)

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I ordered neem oil from Amazon once, and it arrived with a broken cap, the neem soaked through the plastic bag to the cardboard box. Rather stinky. My DH called it in & got me a replacement, plus I got the keep the broken-lidded one, still 3/4 full. They said it was not worth the cost to have it shipped back to the vendor. So sometimes it’s a perk. :-)

• Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

That's crazy! They should have sent another no problem. I guess they just have to check into it. Stay on top of it though and make sure you get your refund!