SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momrules5831

Living My Best Mom Life

runninginplace
5 years ago

The other day I was thinking about how much I am enjoying this stage of motherhood--which is parenting a 30 and 27 year old :). The relationships with both my adult offspring are warm and pleasant and I deeply appreciate that they both reach out to me to both give and ask for advice. The time we spend together seems to be uniformly positive for both sides, and it's just a really great place to be emotionally.

Which led to me thinking about feeling I'm in the groove at this point as a parent. Looking back, of course I always tried to be the best mom I could be. However raising kids was so exhausting, and so stressful. Some/much of that goes with the territory of course but temperamentally, being a perfectionist with a strong control streak, and a person with an exceedingly low tolerance for mess, disarray and spontaneity....let's just say I found the baby, toddler and early childhood years challenging indeed.

So for me, teenage years were pretty good; I really liked interacting with my kids as they became more independent, and as they became more fully 'themselves' in their opinions and goals. College years, even more so, it probably helped that professionally advising that age cohort has been my focus for my entire career.

And this feels like my favorite stage of all :). They're both well launched, both gainfully employed with fulfilling careers. Both have partners, and both partners are decent, good people who seem to complement and fulfill my kids' needs and goals. I love not being so responsible any more, yet being asked to be a sounding board or advisor. I love being able to ask THEM for advice or support.

So after that long winded preamble, I'm curious: parents, what was or is your favorite stage so far? I know people are so varied, and would love to hear when others felt they were living their own best mom life.

Comments (18)