SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

Influenza Kills!

LynnNM
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Last year in January my dear, dear friend, Jayne, came down with influenza. Jayne was a vibrant, healthy, active, in-shape 57 y/o. She was an RN of many years and a good one. Her husband was also an RN. Jayne thought that she could doctor herself and beat down that nasty influenza. Jayne was wrong. She was rushed to the ER days later, and admitted directly into the Intensive Care Unit. A few days later, her organs started to fail in a cascade. Influenza won and my dear friend, Jayne, died. It didn't need to happen! I cried every day for two months. I still cry whenever I think about her.

Last week, my longtime good friend Jim came down with influenza. He initially thought it was just a bad cold. Like Jayne, Jim was an active, healthy, in-shape guy in his 60's. Jim was sure that he and his wonderful wife of 40 years could doctor him at home. Wrong! A week ago today they rushed Jim to the ER at the huge, very good hospital in our home town. He was admitted directly to ICU. My good, dear friend Jim died this morning. Like Jayne, he had had the best round-the-clock nursing in ICU. But, like Jayne, his organs started to fail in a cascade and he was gone. It didn't need to happen like that!

I had influenza myself about 18 months ago. I caught it from the guy sitting next to me on the plane back from Cancun . . . in June!!! Influenza is scary horrible! The only reason I didn't go to the hospital myself is because my DH is a longtime family practice physician and was taking care of me 24/7. He had me on all the right meds for it from the very beginning, and because of that, it never progressed into the dangerous chest congestion. But, I still felt like I was so sick that I could die!

I'm trying not be overly dramatic here, but it IS dramatic when it kills my friends! The ONLY reason I'm posting this here, though, is because we all may need a wake-up call. Bad things do happen to good people every day . . . and we're all good people, aren't we? Please, please get your flu shots! But, whether or not you actually have had one, or choose not to, do NOT discount how quickly the symptoms of influenza, specifically chest congestion, can get really bad. So quickly! Undiagnosed, you may just initially think it's a bad cold, but for you, for your family or friends, better to err on the side of caution, than to allow this horrible virus to kill you or someone you love! I've lost two very good friends to influenza in the past 13 months. They did NOT need to die like that!

Please stay vigilant and stay safe!

Comments (33)