SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_dodd69

Need help with Dining room

Southern Bell
5 years ago

So we have just recently move into our new house and I have no idea what to do with this space. I know more of what I dont want versus what I do want. I dont want any loud colors unless they are accent pieces. These light fixtures have to go immediately. I literally cannot stand them. I want to keep the walls the same color. I dont want any heavy furniture in here (i.e. hutch or large buffett) besides the dining room table since it adds weight to the space. I have attach some design photos I've created to give some idea but wanted to know what do you guys suggest.

Comments (46)

• K R
    5 years ago
    Can you show pictures from further out? Also how much space do you have between the end of the table and the wall? I know you said you don’t want to add weight, but if you have room that’s a perfect place to put a slim buffet table. Maybe even a mirrored one so it doesn’t feel bulky.
  • Kim
    5 years ago

I would not put a mirror on the right or left walls because it would only be reflecting the opposite wall. I don't care for a floor vase because it doesn't serve a purpose and can get knocked over. I think that a substantial console table on the back wall with a fabulous piece of art above it would look great The console should be substantial in width but not weight- in other words, open legs, Lucite or glass, etc. An appropriately sized rug as well as a new ceiling fixture and your room will be gorgeous.

• Related Discussions

Needing help decorating dining room table

Q

Comments (0)
    I'm needing ideas for a full tablescape, please! Everything from runner, placemats, all plates, glassware, flatware, napkins, centerpiece, etc. I've attached photos of the table, rug, paint, and room.
    ...See More

Need Help with Dining Room

Q

Comments (0)
    New build. Dining room is 11x13 with 12 ft. ceilings. Paint is SW Pure White. Current window covering are temporary paper blinds. Style is transitional. Looking for ideas for window and wall treatment, etc. The antique organ will be replaced with a buffet/sideboard if there is room.
    ...See More

Need help with dining room chairs

Q

Comments (13)
    Hi Ed I assume the leaves will come out to make the table an appropriate size for the space? I have used this table a few times and I think the color could work as is. Changing the stain color is going to be tricky as this table is a combination of solid wood and veneers. Instead of taking the table darker I would ground it with a nice neutral rug with some depth in color to it. I would consider taking your walls darker and doing lighter drapery panels against them for contrast. I would choose chairs with a different finish. Black chairs would tie into your metals. You can balance that by doing upholstered arm chairs in the ends in a neutral fabric. Once the table is in the room I think youre going to find that it makes your existing light look a bit wimpy. If you can, two chandeliers would be nice but if its not an option I would think about one large linear light.
    ...See More

Need help finishing dining room!

Q

Comments (25)
    If this is your daily dining area, I wouldn't use a rug- will be hard to move the bench out for seating (chairs too but they are a little easier depending on rug pile). I think benches are much nicer in concept than practical if you have adults sitting in those areas. Is adjoining areas more transitional/traditional or more rustic. The table and bench look well-made, but they don't seem to quite fit with the more formal walls. BUT, if keeping, I like the simple upholstered cream/linen chairs.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

If you plan to put a console table in there, don't shove it in a useless corner. put it where intended between the sconces. I see no real need for a mirror in here as it wont reflect much. so art work would be better. Sounds like you need to pick up some art and a console. replace the lights and done. Buy several sizes and shapes of art so you can play around with it.

Also i would say this room isnt screaming for polished chrome or silver really. To lighten the space add an area rug

• Sammie J
    5 years ago

Is there enough space to turn the table?

• Emily Jowers
    5 years ago

I've heard a lot of people on this forum discourage mirrors in the dining room. People don't typically like watching themselves eat. I like the art piece you chose. I would it between the sconces with a console table under it.

• IdaClaire
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

In my opinion, a lovely (preferably large) mirror is perfectly acceptable in a dining room. Mirrors have been used in dining rooms for many decades. People don't sit and stare into them, watching themselves eat, despite what a couple of forum regulars always tend to spout. A mirror can reflect candlelight, a bountiful meal, and most of all the images of those you love seated around the table. Hang a mirror if you want to. It's fine.

• Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi guys so there is plenty of room here is some pictures attached. the dinning room is kinda open to the living room and on the other in into tha rotunda foyer. Across from the dinning room is a hallway that leads to guest bath, beds and laundry room. Excuse my home, I am putting up Christmas decor.

• Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I wanted to do some type of mirror because this is what the house looks like in the daytime the dinning room can be a little dark and gloomy. Also its cloudy out here in texas so that doesnt actually help light into the space. This is daytime photos with the lights off.

• Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Sammie yes I can turn the table around.
  • Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

also this is how much room we have on each side of the dinning room and on the hack end of the table. on both ends of the table there is a 6 1/2 feet of spacing. on the back end there is about 4ft of spacing

• Sammie J
    5 years ago

Try turning the table, put a rug underneath, and then add a console on the back wall between the sconces. Something like this might be nice since you don't want anything heavy.

• Sammie J
    5 years ago

opps...forgot the pic. Then, large art over the console.

• Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Sammie,

I was afraid if I turned the table around and put a console between the sconces, the the chairs would be blocking the view to see the console. what do you think?
  • Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes I was definitely planning on adding a rug, Iron art, and some greenery.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

There is no such thing as iron art, at least not unless you go to the actual iron worker. And if you don't want anything heavy, try canvas art instead.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Can you stand where the ladder is, but on the floor, not on the ladder, hold your camera straight, and give us a shot of the dining table and the back wall with the sconces.

• Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Grover here is another picture.

• Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Idaclair,

I have been eyeing some pieces from the at home store. Though this is some metal work. Apologies for not knowing the proper term for items.

• Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Grover when I stated iron art, I meant something like this

• groveraxle
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

See how there are hundreds of the same thing on the shelves at the At Home Store? Leave them there. ;-)

I do actually like that wine bottle holder, though I've never thought those things that hold a single bottle very useful.

• Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    hahah grover
    yes they are just pretty to look at.

I also saw a fist made into iron. made me think of game of thrones
  • Illie
    5 years ago

I love your floor. Do you have the name?

• Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Pinky,

The flooring is knotted chestnut 33517-03

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Here's some bling without using a mirror.

This room definitely needs a rug to soften it up and make it feel cozier.

• Daniela Marino
    5 years ago
    I don’t know if you own or rent the house, but if the first case: could one or both pony walls be eliminated? In order to let more light in... By the way, I really like your idea of introduce some light blue into the browns.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Amer Caribe Car-12 Shag Rug, Beige · More Info

SND-50 Rug from Serendipity by Amer | PlushRugs.com · More Info

MDY-2013 Rug from Melody by Surya | PlushRugs.com · More Info

Robert Abbey Meurice Rectangular Chandelier | YLighting.com · More Info

• Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    grover omg i love that look wow...
    what app did you use?
  • Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Daniela, thank you so much!! Also I do not want to tear down any walls. Both walls have arches through them, but I did wanted to implement mirrors. Also this is a brand new built home I personally built and I do not want to tear any walls down. In fact I love the floor plan.

the lighting is bad, because it was cloudy outside and I had to turn in the lights. the lights are very warm but the wall colors are actually San Francisco grey. it's like grey with a under light blue tint. Very pretty in person .
  • Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    im actually going to take out the warm led lighting out and put led white lighting in.
  • Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

what about these lights

• Daniela Marino
    5 years ago

I like first one. Additionally, it is supposed that upwards lights (like the second chandelier) do illuminate the ceiling and leave the table in the dark... Have you abbandoned the idea of bringing some light blue objects, as in your firsts photos?

• Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hey Daniela, no I will still find some blue tones to add it. At night, there is plenty of light in the dinning room, just during the day it's kind of gloomy dark if the sun isn't shining. This is the color of the walls when the light shine correctly and it isnt gloomy. This is the color throughout the home. The warm lights makes it looks tan, another reason why the light bulbs and lights will be changes out.

• Daniela Marino
    5 years ago

oh! what a difference! I tought your walls were beige!

• Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    nope it's the horrible lighting during the day lol
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Ashley, do you know the name and maker of the actual color on your wall?

• Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi grover the pain is by kelly Moore and it san San Francisco grey. I love this color. It's tricky base on the lighting also. Attached is a picture of the walls, same color, same room just one side seems more darker grey whole the other side seems like a pale cool tone grey with blue tint to it

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I'm guessing you mean San Francisco fog. It appears to look totally different in each room of your house and here, with that red and yellow box, it looks almost green. Which means that I will be little help with colors in your dining room. Just one caution, though. A cool gray like this can look really cold and sterile if you go too cool with everything else.

See if you can fix the color by replacing the bulbs, then post pictures again.

• Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Grover,
    I am aiming for a neutral cool pallet. I have no desire to change the wall colors or paint them. Yes, I meant San Francisco Fog by Kelly Moore. I am really happy with this color. When I picked this color during the colors selection, I knew I wanted grey and beige tones. I really get tired of bold color easily. I find it easier to change out accent pieces to a neutral color scheme, versus repainting items and buying new furniture like every couple months. I don't see any green anywhere on the walls, but it's the lighting and it's very cloudy outside.
  • Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    At night, the walls look like a cool tan greyish. During the day it looks greying cool blue
  • Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I forgot to mention the last picture with the paint, there were no lights on. That picture is just daylight comming through. If I turn the lights on, it will look tan. I hope this photo helps, it is leading to the master bath. JUst daylight hitting the walls.

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

Being picky but center the table under the light it's a couple inches off. I also vote for a console between the sconces and artwork. I'm also not a fan of mirrors in the dining room. We have one on an old dressing table in my sunroom that is maybe 15' from our breakfast nook, I catch a glimpse of myself in it all the time and hate it. I can't imagine having a mirror 3'/4' away.

• Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Cheryl,

Lately the table have been a table for crafts. It's just my husband and I with no kids, so I do all my painting, knitting and diy on this table. I'll definitely be centering it when I am done. I wanted a mirror or two because during the daytime the room can be dark, so I wanted to bring light in there. At night the room is very bright. Also the mirror and I are bestfriends, so that would be a plus to see myself in it everyday all day .
  • Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Gover what size frames would you recommend if I want to execute something like this?

The width between both sconces are 68inches

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Hi, Southern Bell. Two things to consider in the look above are the width of the frames and the width of the console or sideboard if you are going to have one. If you will have a sideboard, I would make it no smaller than 1/3 the length of the wall. Then the art above should be narrower than the console--2/3 - 3/4 its length.

If you will not have a sideboard and just want the art, then I would make its total width about 1/3 the length of the wall.

• Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    thank you Grover