SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim1961_gw

Winter Madness, "seasonal thread" Part 2

The first day of winter is here! As we journey through winter and eagerly wait for Spring..lol

Please enjoy yourselves everyone by posting pics and having conversation...

I know winter can be blah but hopefully this thread can make a difference!

Comments (218)

• titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

Lisa and dianela, sorry to hear you're both having such a rough time with the 'flu. Sounds very unpleasant. I'm astonished, dianela, that you only get 3 sick days a year.

Diane, as usual, you have me googling something. I had never heard of Boehm porcelain - I like the floral pieces. I still think of those beautiful fabrics made in Venice - I forget the name. Begins with V, I think. I'll have to google the garden you mentioned too.

The weed my neighbour donated isn't the clover, it's a creeping thing that sends up loads of seeds. Grrrrrrrr. I've almost completed the third pass over the bed of clover, but I know I'll have to do it at least once more, as the dash little bulblets drop off into the soil and hide. Pesky little things.

I'll have to end this. Rosie has been sick for a few days, but all she needed was for me to book an appointment at the vet. Literally, as I was taking her for a little walk outside before her appointment, she was suddenly better. Of course, I felt I had to keep the appointment. $83 later! She's not had much to eat for a few days, and brought most of what she has eaten, and now she's hungry

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

While the NE and Midwest bask in springlike temps, we get snow and plunging temps. I can see from the weather map that my nefarious countrypersons have shoved their massive cold air westward in retaliation for the warmer weather we had been experiencing. Seattle may go down to 21F tonight--unheard of. Or maybe it's just those blasted weather gods' faults.

Trish, your weeds sound devilishly nasty. I think you have an alien clover, dumped on you from outer space. The early Boehm porcelain is especially precious because it was made by Edward Marshall Boehm himself. He died quite early, and his wife continued to promote the porcelains as "Boehm" but they were not made by Mr Boehm, obviously. Are you thinking of Fortuny fabrics? I hope Rosie is back to normal now. I guess it's worth $83 to have this confirmed by the vet. The vet bills we've had for a whole lot of nothing have been insane.

Jim, you're winning the weather lottery right now. I don't think we'll get much above the low 40s, and you've probably reached over 50F by now. And we have snow on the ground that arrived starting last night. You sent it here, I suspect. Diane

• Related Discussions

Winter Madness, "seasonal thread" Part 3

Q

Comments (155)
    Jim, I'm glad to read that about warmer days coming. That's what it looked like on the rundown of weather predictions in US cities. Here, it is warmish, but will actually be a little colder for the next day or two. Nothing awful, but not springlike. It's still wet for here. This is good because I'm not tempted to do "just a little" cleanup, plus I'm exhausted. No matter how much sleep I get, I'm exhausted. I'm not used to this feeling. Oh, yes, swearing is a hobby of mine. Heh. Thanks, Sheila. I appreciate your interest in my blow by blow sleep problems. How is your husband doing? Well and on the mend, I hope. I know your spring like temps are ahead of us, and I'm sure that bit of snow did no harm. Flowers, you have probably heard that 23 people died (so far) in the little Alabama town struck by the tornado. That's a terrible toll for such a small place--or any place. It's the worst tornado death toll since 2013. Where's Dianela??? I'm sure the town is well south of her, though......It sounds like you are getting into the spring mood with your winter sowing. I throw out gathered poppy seed and hollyhock seed in March if possible. I ordered my other seed just after Christmas. I think I'll use last year's leftover basil seed, since I usually have virtually 100 % germination on new basil seed. I'll just sow the year old stuff heavily. How are your temps doing? Not too bad, I hope. Kristine, thanks for reminding me about the time change. I'm in Never-Neverland right now, and not paying attention very well. Diane
    ...See More

Winter Madness, "seasonal thread" Part 4

Q

Comments (164)
    Jim, please go ahead and start a spring thread when you have time. We appreciate all you have done keeping the seasonal threads going and making them lots of fun. Love all your crazy photos, too. I only worked 1 hr and 10 minutes. Too many interruptions, plus sore knees from crawling along on pavement, cleaning out the beds that border sidewalks. The whirligig is going so fast in the breeze I'll never get a pic of the thing. That cat really knows how to ride a bicycle. Diane
    ...See More

WINTER is here! Seasonal thread part 4

Q

Comments (162)
    I got this rose in my garden he’s highly fragrant ... lilyfynch thinks it’s Thomas A Becket . And I think it is he’s smellsss soo good just looking at him I drool and he drops over just like the catalog ... thoughts ?? Lol I got him for 10 bucks . But no label but it was a david Austin gallon .
    ...See More

WINTER is here! Seasonal thread part 7

Q

Comments (125)
    I love your photos, sultry, and that one of the live oaks is spoooky. Do ghost froggies live in the scary forest? What different climates we both live in. I can't grow any of the things you just talked about. I would love some bananas for Nana, please. But I'm glad I don't have to dig out those pink jasmine roots. Sara Ann, your Kathleen Harrop is gorgeous. I need to look it up. Oddly it reminds me of Olivia Rose Austin. Do you grow OLA? Jim, I love all those pet photos, especially the ones featuring the feral cat lounging in its comfortable living room. Love the cat/dog food sharing. Your pets get along so well. Right now, the coyotes are hunting in the gully in back, and we haven't been able to let our kitties out even for short supervised times. Finn is the scourge of voles, and I'd like him to be doing the hunting, though I expect that the yotes are a scourge on voles, too. Not very long ago, the neighbors lost their wonderful old cat to yotes. The neighbors were a little lax about letting him out too close to dark--they are from Hawaii originally, and are not totally used to our predators. I felt so badly for them.....I see we must move on to the new thread. Thanks for your loyalty, in keeping these threads going. I hope all is well for you as you continue to forge ahead. Diane
    ...See More
  • jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

60 degrees right now here Nanadoll! Our snow is almost melted! :-)

Original Author
    5 years ago

Gracie got groomed today...

Check out her eye lashes...lol

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Jim, those are pretty darn long lashes. I'm most impressed with how clean and pretty Gracie looks. She also looks all tired out from the strenuous grooming. She even has a nice clean pillow to herself. You are so good to her. Our snow looks about like yours--we didn't have as much to start with as you did--but it only got up to maybe 45F today. Diane

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

Am I in the right place, or is this the weather forum? That's the only thing a lot of us have going on this time of year. We're finally getting winter. Teens and single digits this week at night. Still not much snow. We've only had to shovel and plow once or twice this year. In a normal year, it's almost every day. I'm glad the midwest and east are getting a break. In just a couple months all this will only be a memory and we'll be complaining about digging holes, poor soil, pests, etc. I'm almost getting nervous because there's so much on my list that needs to be done "first" and I have too many roses to plant than I have room for until we get the defunct veggie garden ready for roses. The raised beds are falling apart and have to be dismantled and discarded. But, I am very eager to see how the roses liked their first fall helping of manure.

Gracie looks so fluffy and cuddly. Is she wearing blue mascara?

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

In Sourhern Oregon it is time to prune. Boy, do I have my work cut out for me. So much clean and 2 whole beds to create. A dividing fence to build to seperate my rose garden from the garden waste bins.

I am tired and excited at the same time.

I think I will make a trip to the grange and load up on soil and be ready to start planting pots. A lot of ordered roses will be potted until the the two new beds are ready to plant.

The orders have about a month until they will be shipped.

Let the spring begin

• lkayetwvz5
    5 years ago

Now we have flood watches and warnings again with 2-3" of rain expected in the next 48 hours. We've been doing this for a year now!!

Well we had two nice days and I prowled the gardens looking at stuff that needs to be done. The only problem with that is DH notices and comes out following me around and telling me 'you need to do something with that' and giving me ultimatums about 'do something with it or I will', etc. etc.

We have been arguing for the last three years about the proper way to prune my Jayne magnolia that has grown more like a banyan tree. Hubby doesn't know about pruning - to him it's just chop until he's happy. So to avoid a total massacre I decided to start on it while he was gone. Only problem the electric telescoping pruner is not to be found. I made four trips through the garage and all the out buildings and could not find it. When I mentioned this he said I had not looked for it, and he went out to show me and he could not find it. Two days later he says the pruner was in the shed and I just didn't see it. Hmmmmmm………..

I did get my Nikko blue hydrangea cut off for digging out. It used to bloom when we had zone 6 winters but not in zone 4/5. It dies to the ground almost every winter. It puts out beautiful new growth every year, lush and green but I'm tired of just a shrub and it will detract from my new patio DA rose garden once I get all the bareroots and hopefully get them planted if it stops raining!

Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Is she wearing blue mascara? Yes she is Flowers...lol...

We have had Spring like weather for 4 days now! About to come to a end soon though...lol

April is pruning time here so a long ways off yet...

Original Author
    5 years ago

Rained all day yesterday but just alittle trickled into our basement as it stopped raining at the right time...The ground is very saturated from rain and snow melt off...Our neighbors lawns puddled yesterday...TODAY....Expected to get more rain starting at 3-4pm and expected to rain for approx. 12 hours...So will see what happens...I'm starting to think extreme wet is our new norm...lol

Hope things go ok your way lkayetwvz5 with the possible flooding ....

I know how to properly prune lkayetwvz5 but yes sometimes my male instincts kick in and I prune way down until I'm happy...LOL...Truth...lol...Last year I pruned most our roses to ground level... But it worked out as we had a great rose growing season...

BUT Unfortunately I whacked our woody Lavender plant to the ground well knowing that's a no no...lol...Yep it died... lol...

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

I agree, extreme pruning seems to be a male trait. Must be related to machete wielding in the jungle or something. I am much more restrained.

5 years ago

Jim, I would try blue mascara if I thought it would make me as adorable as Gracie, but I'm pretty sure I would look ridiculous. Besides, my eyelashes aren't as long as hers.

Agreed, lkay and Sheila, about male pruning. I was speechless when I found my full grown New Dawn chopped to about a foot from the ground. But, he's real good at digging holes. I asked him to go with me to the hands on pruning class at Northland and he hasn't been so eager to prune anything since. I think he saw that there is a method to our madness, and that I wasn't just being picky. One of the master gardeners that demonstrates is Ed Odegaard, a rose hybridizer who is a Harley riding, leather wearing, real he-man. Jim, I would trust you to prune. You know what you're doing.

Kristine, you'll be a busy girl. Do you keep track of what you want to accomplish in your head, or do you keep a list? My list is getting so long that it'll be a miracle if I get it all done by fall. Do we ever get to the point where we can just enjoy the garden? I'll answer that. We will work ourselves to the bone every year, because in some weird way, we enjoy it.

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

Thread is moving quickly :). Hope spring comes very soon or I’ll burst with the anticipation.

Trish, thank you for your well wishes. I am feeling much better. Working as a resident is a bit different from other jobs I have had in the past. For example, we can work 90 hours/week under our salary with no overtime pay and it is still legal, and several other things. I can’t complaint however because Pathology is certainly one of the most family friendly specialties out there, specially for a female. I hope by this time Rosie is back to perfect health and eating a lot. At least now after that visit to the vet you can feel confident she is alright. I always go a bit crazy when Rangiku starts acting like she is sick. I wish they could just talk (some times they almost do, don’t they).

Jim that Gracie is adorable and she looks like she knows it too. :) I laughed at the pruning to the ground comment. I started Pruning dark Desire this weekend and ended up with only a few canes left pegged to the ground lol. I might have to go to gardening pruning class Flowers attended. I’ll try to do better this weekend when I tackle the others.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

Jim, I hope that rain stays well away - you need a break! And yes, Gracie looks so soft and glamourous. I wish I could reach in and stroke those ears.

dianela,, decades ago my brother was a resident at a London Hospital. He was on call 120 hours per week. It was criminal. They were so tired, mistakes got made. He also assisted at the birth of a woman's 13th child. When she was informed how babies were made, she said "Well, I'll soon put a stop to that, then."!

5 years ago

Flowers, all I have to do is look at my mess and know what has to be done.

We painted the house last year but there is still some trim on the patio to do

I will probably not get everything done but hopefully the fence section, the paint and new planter bed

I guess my husband better get with it lol. Those are mostly projects for him

He hates to paint so I will do that.

I noticed that my Chantilly snapdragons are looking healthy and green. Ladt year they were waiting in pots and got leggy

This year they will get to shine.

A few things that I am on the waiting list for at Annies. One is Thalictrum. I hope it comes in stock.

Picture from Annies

I would normally start prunning this weekend but we are expecting more cold and some snow.

Come on

Original Author
    5 years ago

All good here...Rain was mild so no problems!

The blue mascara wore off already...lol..

Wonderful photo Kristine!

5 years ago

Thanks Jim, I hope it will be available.

Well I hope I didn't blow it. I have lots of brand new miniature roses in pots and last night we had a really deep freeze it won't last all day but this morning everything feels really frozen. So I gave everything a drink and moved it under the eaves of the house hopefully I didn't just lose all of my brand new miniature roses.

We have had such a mild Winter with not really much in the way of freezing weather until last night so hopefully I don't pay the price for not doing any Winter protection.

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

Pretty Meadow Rue, Kristine! I have it from Annie’s, and I just love it. I was afraid it would be too dry for it here, but it’s been happy for many years. I hope your roses are ok. It’s been chilly here, but nothing like what many of you are experiencing.

I’m finally feeling better. I hardly know where to begin in the garden, I’m so far behind. I only have 6 roses pruned. It will be June before I finish, at the rate I’m going. It was wonderful to work outside for a while yesterday. Today should be sunny, and then we get rain again. Lisa

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

Lisa welcome back =). Glad you are feeling better, we need you ready for spring in order to be spoiled with roses of your gorgeous garden.

Kristine I think all your minies will be alright. I was amazed to see several cuttings I didn't protect still are looking ok even after having nights at 21. I love that beautiful purple plant in your picture and I hope you get it soon. It is great to keep learning about all these pretty plants I had no idea even existed.

Jim how are your temps? Are you going to be working the garden this weekend?

Ohh Trish I laughed at the story of the 13th child =p. I wonder if that was her last one after all. Sorry to hear your brother went through such a rough time during residency. I am certainly glad they restricted the duty hours to 80/week (Houzz wouldn't let me correct my previous post). Some of the old timers are upset and think (the new generation is lazy), but I think it really helps lower the amount of mistakes residents make. I wouldn't want a carpenter building my house with no sleep, so why would I ever want a surgeon cutting me open after he has been working 100 hours with almost no sleep?

5 years ago

Lisa, slow and steady. Dont drive yourself crazy, sooner or later it will be done. I usually start prunning this weekend but it is still pretty cold, maybe a bit of snow to come.

We can only do what we can do and shouldnt feel bad if we dont reach perfection, if there is any such thing.

Im glad you are feeling better.

Original Author
    5 years ago

I hope it does come available for you Kristine! Looks like a real nice plant...:-)

Glad your feeling better Lisa!

Our crazy weather...lol...Today mid 40's BUT a cold front moving in so its down to 37 degrees now... Expected low tonight is 16 degrees...

5 years ago

Kristine, looking at the mess here, my brain just freezes up. I need a list to keep from wasting time. I'm not organized or efficient. I've got a bucket of paint staring at me, too. The chicken coop gets painted this year. Can you buy Thalictrum in small plugs at Annies? I've only seen it in the large cans. One of my very favorites. That stuff must be hardy in Siberia. Never fails to come back.

Dianela, you may have laughed about my husband's pruning disaster, but I gasped so loud I think the neighbors down the road heard me. It's fatal flaw was that it hung over the walkway by the back door. I laugh about it now, too. It's the worst rose to grow by a doorway.
    Geez, girl, you need a vacation. Those hours are brutal. No wonder you were vulnerable to catching something.

Trish, love your brother's delivery room story. I bet the woman had her 14th baby the following year.

5 years ago

I do not let my husband prune anything anymore after the pink princess shrub debacle where it looks so beautiful and hanging nicely and he cut it into a big square ugly shrub .Bad bad crazy prunner!

I was just driving by the old Jackson and Perkins test garden and they are out pruning today , even with the weather not wonderful .

So, maybe I'll get started a little bit tomorrow.

I am on the waiting list at Annies. I have never grown this particular plant but I saw a post on Facebook with it behind a rose and it looked so pretty

Original Author
    5 years ago

Square and ugly...lol..The mad pruner...lol

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    5 years ago

Diane -- thanks for asking after me. Our immediate area made it through the crazy rain okay. All of my rain barrels and my green waste can and an old trash can and three buckets are full of rain water. How quickly I will use it though, once the rain stops! I got my last Austin roses in before the big big rain came -- though it was just a few hours later the rain started. Five of the six looked hearty and big -- thick canes, big, thick roots...but the newest, James L. Austin, was smaller and the roots much smaller. I'll keep my eye on that one. The good news is that I was getting ready to give up on my Madam Anisette and Dark Desire, they both seem to be growing great guns right now -- so maybe I'll see some lovely flowers. It will be year 3 for MA. So great to see the bronzy growth! I'm going to spray again tomorrow my new Deer Out to hopefully deter the rabbits.

My own trial the past week has been an eye infection! On Monday went to urgent care and doctor gave me antibiotics for a bacterial infection. I threw that up, which caused the infected eye to have many tiny burst blood vessels, which eventually drained into the area below the eye where I was already swollen and looking like Quasimodo. I now have a black eye. Anyway -- it was getting better, so I taught my classes yesterday and gave my sabbatical report to the faculty (no make-up, black eye, looking very sub-par) and I went in to eye doctor today for follow up and was told I now have a viral infection to boot. So, now have some kind of eye ointment I'll put on in a moment. Sheesh. So no gardening for me. And no reading. Reading makes my eyes too tired. But, oddly enough, I can watch TV. So I got hooked on a very silly show called the Masked Singer. I highly recommend it. I think one of the masked singers might be Gladys Knight. I think another may be Donny Osmond. One was Tommy Chong!

Anyway -- when reading is easier I will catch up on the news here. And look forward to seeing the photos. Love to you all.

• lkayetwvz5
    5 years ago

Survived the flooding from 3" of rain. Now the flash freeze again. But actually could walk to the barn this morning without sinking to my ankles in the mud. DH is going to try and make a run through the mudslide to try and get goat feed this morning. 4 days of rain predicted this coming week. I think I am going to have to build boardwalks. I can't even find my stepping stones in the mud. I may have to extend my patio as it looks like all my bareroots coming will have to be planted in pots.

5 years ago

Geeze, crazy weird weather. Not too many of us are exempt from the rain, snow and floods.

Yesterday wasnt too bad and I could have worked in the yard for a couple of hours but apperently I am becoming a fair weather gardner. So the mess is still there and I guess I am ok with that. I really have no choice today, snow is on the way for most of the week.

Deborah, I am so sorry about your eye. I have eye issues so I know the challenges . Get well soon but take it easy on your peepers.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Gee Deborah hope your eye gets better soon!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Deborah, I hope you eye gets better quickly!!!! Any idea what caused it? I had a scratched cornea in the fall and talk about painful! I've wondered if it was a rose thorn of some sort, but probably just grit from dry eye. Please keep us posted. Good excuse to watch some rose Youtube.

I wonder if all this constant rain is the new normal. The roofers can't get here soon enough to fix multiple flashings. I have water coming down the walls behind the chimney and it's getting me down. That plus the porch that never got finished. ( Oh well. There's worse so I can't really complain.

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

Flowers I am sure you were shocked when you saw what your dear Husband did to your new dawn. Thankfully that is a tough rose and probably came back even more beautiful after her pruning. Do you still grow it? I don't have a new Dawn and I have been craving one for a couple of years now.

Diane I just went out and found Sarah Bernhardt at my local Lowes for $ 6.99. I remembered you mentioned it before and couldn't resist buying it. I just planted my first peonies this fall (Hawaiian something and coral something else) Ill have to go look through my receipts and make them tags now. The pictures of Sarah look amazing, any advice? They say partial shade which surprised me, but I actually know nothing about peonies, except that they are drop dead gorgeous and romantic.

Deborah I hope your eye gets better soon so you can get back to reading and gardening. Cool compresses may help your eye feel better if is still swollen.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Dianela, I hope you enjoy your Sarah Bernhardt peony. Did you get a plant that will bloom this season? I like that approach and have never planted just the tubers in fall (except a couple of starts from antique plants). It can be tricky getting just tubers planted at the correct depth. Is the coral peony Coral Charm? That's what mine is, but there are some descendants of this peony that are variously named using "coral". This far north, I try to have my peonies in as near to full sun as I can get. But several are in part shade. I don't think they bloom as well. But in Alabama that probably isn't going to make as much difference. Your problem may be how much winter chill you get. I'm not sure what your coldest temps tend to be and for how long you have those temps.

Kristine, it's crazy, weird weather for sure. I think we've regressed to January, which was fairly warm. Right now, we are running around 25F colder than last year, and currently have some snow on the ground, though it's a thin layer in shadier areas. We've had some nasty wind, too, and I've picked up a few tumbleweeds as a result. The extra precipitation is welcome, though, especially in the mountains as snow pack for irrigation. My son in law is in the lower mountains with his "beer club" biking on fat tired mountain bikes on snow covered trails. I hope he can make it back home tomorrow. My friend is still cross country skiing near Baker City, Oregon, in the snow belt. She's the group's driver, so I hope they can make it back on time. The freeway got shut down a week or so ago. One of this skiing group is 80 years old and legally blind, she said. And they are good and experienced skiers.

Ikaye, your mud sounds just horrible. I hope the rain slacks off. We're going to have some pretty good mud, here in the desert-ha.

Vapor, your rain sounds as bad as Ikaye's mud. I hope for dry weather for you, and that the roofer shows up soon! Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

I'm back cause my first post was getting pretty long. Deborah, I hope your eye is better. I had a similar infection many years ago, and had to apply that ointment stuff. I was told not to use hairspray or eye make up, a real sacrifice when you are 20 years old. It sounds like you made out pretty well in that last rainstorm, and those barrels of water will be right handy.

Jim, may the weather gods smile on you.

I'm facing more health issues with surgery coming up in a few days, so I'm apologizing ahead of time for erratic posting. I'm more upset about not being able to keep up with gardening chores than anything. Gotta keep those priorities straight. Diane

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

Diane,

I must have have overlooked something, because I didn’t realize you were about to have surgery. Is this something major? Is there anything I can do for you? I am sure you have great hospitals and surgeons in your area, but if you want to come to Alabama and see someone else let me know and I can look find you whatever surgeon you need. I welcome any posts from you, no matter the amount of sedatives or pain meds ;p.

I think I think what I bought from Lowes is something small with tubers (it doesn't look like it could bloom this year). Yes, I checked my names and what I planted from Edem brothers in the fall were Hawaiian Pink,Coral Charm, Old Faithful and Scarlett O'Hara. My temps (lows) get usually in the mid to low 20s several times during the winter with rare single digits. I am afraid all the rain we get here will destroy these heavy flowers, but ill guess I will find out. Do you have to support your Coral Charm and Sarah?

5 years ago

Dianela, that butchered ND was never quite the same, so I eventually took it out and bought another one to plant further from the doorway. That one was eaten by a sprawling, suckering rugosa, so I dug that one up last year. I don't want to discourage you from getting one, though. It is a vision of soft pink whipped cream when it blooms.

Our Costco has been getting some really nice peonies the last few years - big ones, covered in buds in pots I can barely lift. I'm not sure I'm going to buy any more since their bloom period coincides with our spring rain.

Winter arrived! Several days of snow, temps down to 6˚F - not as cold as in the east, but cold enough. Praying Punxsutawney Phil was right.

Diane, we will all be thinking of you, keeping you in our prayers and waiting to hear from you post surgery. You'll be able to rest better knowing you got that manure flung about and your roses will never even know that you took some time off.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Going to snow 8 inches tomorrow here Nanadoll...lol...Days and nights cold again here for now...

Go Punxsutawney Phil! lol..I hope he's right too!

Hang in Nanadoll, you will be slinging compost before you know it...Prayers!

5 years ago

Diane, I hope you will be able to feel everyones love and care as you move forward with your surgery.

I will be praying for an unremarkable surgery, quick, pain free and a total success.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

Diane, good luck with the surgery. Come back soon!

Original Author
    5 years ago

Snowing here... 7-14 inches expected...

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

Diane, Praying here for your fast recovery.

Jim I am so sorry to hear about your snow. Stay warm and hopefully thwill be your last snow of the year.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Snowed 3 inches with more on the way tonight....Maybe 5-8 inches more...THEN its going rain for 24 hours...:-O

• titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

Diane, I hope your surgery goes wonderfully well, and you come out the other side fighting fit. Your son-in-law sounds like my daughter - how is mountain-biking in snow considered fun?!

Deborah, I hope your eye infection is on the mend.

lavenderlace, where are you?

My garden is looking very unremarkable at the moment. I feel I should be posting photos, as it's Summer here, but there is nothing much to see. Most of my roses have few and tiny blooms, or else they're mush from rain. I'm brewing more alfalfa tea, in the hope that the Autumn blooms will match the Spring ones.

I'm nearly finished cleaning mould and dust and cobwebs from my daughter's flat, which is just as well, as she's on her way home. Not that she'll be here all that much, as she plans to bike in National Parks etc., but it will be lovely to have her around, however briefly.

flowers, I'm envious of those peonies from Costco. Our Winters aren't cold enough for peonies, but I'd be buying one of those to enjoy for a few weeks. My mother used to grow them in our garden in the UK, and they were my favourite flower. That and Laburnum. We had a tree in our garden, and one outside my classroom window.

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

Diane, I hope all goes well with your surgery. I was wondering when it was scheduled, I remember you saying “after the new year”. I bet you’ll be glad to have it behind you.

There’s not a lot going on here. I’m slowly pruning roses, and trying to catch up. I’m definitely over the flu, but still tire out easily. I feel behind on everything!

It’s been chilly out, 50’s during the day. I’m not used to being cold. My snaps still haven’t been planted in the ground, because I keep stalling. I feel like Summers. I have so much to do that I don’t know where to begin. Yesterday, I pulled a trash bags worth of yellow oxalis, and hardly made a dent in it. My entire slope is covered, and I can’t see anything but oxalis. I do get it every year, but all the rain really got it going this year. Plus, I’ve normally pulled it out by now.

I hope your eye is better by now, Deborah. Winter sure seems to be the season for illnesses! It seems like everyone I know has something.

Trish, what a job cleaning all that mold must be! I hope you wear a mask, so you’re not breathing it in. I know mold can be dangerous. How nice for you to have your daughter coming home for a bit. I’m envious right along with you, over those peonies Summers has at her Costco. Dianela, I’m jealous that you can grow them, too. I bet they’ll be gorgeous, although I hear it takes time for them to settle in. The only peonies I see around here are sold as cut flowers at Trader Joe’s. I think they usually have them in May or June. I always look at each kind, and dream of growing them. I guess every climate has its perks and challenges.

I can’t imagine living in the kind of weather Jim gets. It sounds like the majority of you are getting lots of rain and snow. Vap and Ikaye, you must both be MORE than ready for Spring! Mud makes such a mess, and there’s no digging until it dries out sufficiently. I guess you get used to it. I grew up in So CA, so it’s hard for me to imagine anything different. I’m sure you all appreciate Spring’s arrival more than those of us in warmer climates. The changing seasons are much more subtle here.

Kristine, I found a picture of my Meadow Rue, for you. I just know you’re going to love it! I just spent my gift card from Annie’s the other day. My order should be here on the 13th. I just realized that’s only two days from today. I better get some stuff done, before they arrive.

It blooms from June to August in my garden. It makes a great cut flower with roses.

Have a great day, everyone! Lisa

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago

Diane, sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. I hope your surgery goes well and you heal up quickly.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Diane, add me to the chorus of well-wishers! You're such a good rose mom to have thought of their happiness before going in the hospital. I hope you can put this behind you and have a speedy recovery. Wish I were there to help.... I like playing nurse. : ) LLace, where are you? We echo Jim's weather to a remarkable degree, but I think maybe we get more thunderstorms and sometimes tornadoes!

Titian, sometimes it's nice for a reprieve. That's how I feel about winter..... a good time to get other things done or at least think about doing them! All my outside projects require help so there's that, and the indoor ones have to wait until the flashing is redone. It's a tile roof so not just anyone can do it. So I just plant my beds and think about new roses! ; 0

I really need to post pics of my new peonies so all you experts can help ID them.

5 years ago

Lisa, thank you for the picture. I have seen other Meadow Rues that I didnt like as much as the one from Annies. I sure hope it will be available this year.

Yours is so pretty . What kind of light is yours in ?

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

Thanks and you’re welcome, Kristine. Mine is in lots of shade. I almost think it might like a bit more sun than I have it in. I actually purchased another one last summer, because I like it so much. I planted the second one near the first, but in a little more sun. I ended up having to stake the flower stalk last summer, as it was leaning way out towards the sun. It still looked great, though. The flowers ended up blooming about 3 feet away from the main foliage. It looked lovely draped over the rose in front of it. I’m sure Annie’s will have it in stock again soon. I see it offered every year. Lisa

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

Madness In our yard in preparation for the spring. I swear I hurt everywhere, but I am glad for my husbands help with the Crapes. I know I should stop expanding my rose beds since I struggle to keep up, but I already placed my DA order lol =)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Good luck with it all, Diane. We all love you here. I'm sure all your Drs. love you too, and will be pulling out all stops. You stimulated me to make manure flinging a new hobby, and my roses are grateful. I think your timing is good so you can recuperate by real Spring.

• HU-316574073
    5 years ago

Seeing Jim's posts made me remember a time when I lived in the central-ish PA towns of Bellefont and Pleasant Gap. I remember waking up in the morning and hearing all the traffic on the road in front of our rental house and thinking, "Oh....no!!" We'd had about eight inches of predicted snowfall overnight as predicted... but it hadn't made a dent in the activities of the local population. It was business as usual, and everyone got up and went to work like it was an ordinary day. For me, having moved up from North Carolina where a flake of snow shut everything down, it was a bit of a rude awakening. Like, DARN!!!!! It was while living in this area that I learned to drive in snow. The secret? DON'T STOP. Spin, twirl, slide, do donuts, but don't take your foot of the gas! If you do, you are permanently stopped (just sit and spin), until someone helps you get going again.

It's also the one place where I experienced sub zero temperatures. I learned that if you need to get something out of your car that's parked literally just six feet from the door, you still need to don a heavy winter coat and a warm hat with ear flaps and put on gloves. It can be so cold in those PA mountains!

On the plus side, the area was amazingly beautiful, with the mountains and the many cold, rushing trout streams. Trout fishing was, not surprisingly, a very big deal there, and it was interesting to go to the area trout hatchery and see the runs full of various species of trout being grown out for release to the local streams when fishing season started.

I have thought about moving back someday, but I doubt it. The cold makes for a much shorter growing season than I prefer, not to mention puts quite a damper on many of the things you would maybe like to grow (I'm looking at you, figs and tender roses). Plus unless you have a really insulated house, the heat bills are killer for a very long time. And firewood can be a bear to keep stocked, either the work or the cost.

Those of you from Michigan and Wisconsin and Idaho and other northern states.....Wow. I guess you adapt if that's your home.

P.S. No, I never did go to a Penn State football game....*smile*

Original Author
    5 years ago

I started a NEW WINTER THREAD everyone! Fresh new thread...lol

HERE:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/winter-madness-seasonal-thread-part-3-dsvw-vd~5615559