SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thebalancedshe

Can we/should we have our house two different colors?

We have a Greek revival house we bought a year ago which is a bright golden yellow, with white trim and blackish green shutters and exterior doors.

The house looks nice enough as it is, but honestly the color really is not our thing. I am much more of a neutral person so when we purchased the house we planned to change the color to either white, cream, or a light tan keeping the trim and doors as is.

Fast forward to know, the house has had a lot more pressing issues that have come up and we do not have the budget in the foreseeable future for a color change.

Currently we are adding on an addition which includes a one story mudroom and bath area connecting to a one and a half story barn style garage. We obviously will need to paint the addition when it is complete. My fear is that if we paint it to match the existing yellow color we will be tied to it "forever" since there is no way my husband will agree to repaint a freshly painted structure just for a color change in the next year or two or ever...

What I am wondering is do we paint the small mudroom area to match the existing house, and then pick a new color for the attached barn structure? A color that could sit with the yellow until we can hopefully someday repaint the house to match?

Or else would it be offensive to also repaint the entire side of the house that the barn will attach to so from one direction the house looks neutral while from the other it looks yellow? The house sits close to the street and where you pull in you wont see the front of the house, just the long side, the mudroom, and the barn/garage as shown in the photo below. I might be able to talk my husband into this, but I am not sure if it is a good idea or not?

Here is the photo of the existing house, we are taking down that awkward triangular porch on the bottom right and adding on there) and then a drawing of what is being added on, plus some photos of other houses where the garage/barn is a different color. (All these houses tend to be white with an accent garage, can a bright yellow house pull it off??). If we were to repaint just the one side of the house it would be too awkward?

Comments (4)