SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
apetersenaplenty

Circa-1875 Log Cabin Home. Keep or Sell?

Alex
5 years ago

Hello! I am facing what for me is a gut-wrenching dilemma. I shall lay out the facts:

I am the majority owner of my family's circa-1875 small (900 sq ft) Log-Cabin Home. It was bought by my grandparents and lovingly restored in an early-American design. There are lawn jockeys and metal water pumps in the yard. My dad was raised in the home. Unfortunately, because of very poor estate planning on my grandparent's part, I now share ownership with a distant relative who holds a minority-stake and wants to sell the property over my objections. In fact, this relative helped to foster the disastrous estate planning decision that has been plaguing me. I don't have the money right now to buy out the relative, though if I did and when I do I would make an offer.

The house has some serious problems, though: It would need extensive work to be fully functional to anyone other than myself. Such work includes essential electrical, heating, and plumbing updates. The area where the kitchen meets the master bedroom has sunk somewhat making it impossible to close the 4-panel bedroom door. The ceiling in the master bedroom room is dropping plaster, and the roof is within five years of needing replacement. The only bathroom needs a complete gut and reconstruction. But the biggest problem for me is an extensive white mold issue emanating from the damp smelly shallow basement which spread upwards to the main floor and keeps resurfacing on the wooden doors, chairs, kitchen cabinets, and other wooden furniture. I suspect this dampness is caused or hastened by nearby redevelopment projects gradually raising the water table over the years. When it was built, it was surrounded by swamps and woods. I am sentimental and have enormous respect for this home and its longevity, but I also know there is a monetary limit to everything and it is foolish to throw good money after bad. Several of my good, honest, and very well-meaning relatives are exasperated that I have been spending money to upkeep it (the minority-share owning relative hasn't spent as much as one cent), they have often encouraged me to sell, and though I live well below my means and by no means live an extravagant lifestyle, I really could use the money. If I consent to sell, however, I know the house will likely be demolished.

If you were in my position, and I hope you wouldn't ever find yourself there, what would you do?

Comments (20)