SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
khaubs

Getting cold feet on our new construction plan! Please help!

K H
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I didn't buy a plan but I have done so many drawings worked with our builder, truss guy and lumberyard manager that has lots of experience. I wanted a house with a simple gable roof without tons of angles but I have been having trouble with character and I am worried our house will be very functional but extremely plain and not pretty. One of my biggest worries is roof pitch. It was really hard to see it without a 3-D model. I first started with a picture of a house online that I liked and modified it in paint to see what it would look like without dormers. Then I used Tinkercad to see the different pitches in 3-D. I even went as far as 3-D printing my models and found that without dormers and a 36' + 8' porch I liked the 8/12 steepness but our trusses are stepped up at the porch. Here is the rudimentary Tinkercad rendition of our house. (Yellow was 6/12 blue was 8/12 and red was 10/12)

I really really wanted dormers and an upstairs but the cost of finishing was just too much for our budget because it is a pretty big house. We might still opt for the attic/habitable trusses and then just put a window on each end just in case we ever want to expand up there but we also have a full basement so... maybe I would rather spend the money on nicer hardwoods, cabinets or brick???!!!! What do you guys think?

Comments (167)